C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

PLEASE HELP!!!! '84 IAC - 3 types - can't find one anywhere???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 02:03 PM
dchoran
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP!!!! '84 IAC - 3 types - can't find one anywhere???

I was cleaning and reinstalling my '84 IAC and the housing on one cracked - now its NFG. I cannot find an OEM number on either IAC.

I look in my '84 Chilton's and see there are THREE types: single taper, dual taper and blunt pintle. I have got the BLUNT.

Been to Autozone, OReilly, NAPA, Advanced, etc....... NONE of their pics show a BLUNT pintle - most are dual taper type. Will those work just as well???

Researching online, I think this is what I need but I am not sure???

AC2 GM 17078832 or maybe AC Delco 217-406???

This sucks - no joyriding this weekend.

THANKS in advance for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave H. Appleton, WI

Last edited by dchoran; 10-09-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:17 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The 17078832 is the only part number in my GM Corvette parts book. It is designated to fit a 17082053 Front and a 17082052 rear TB assembly. Checking with AC Delco, I see the 17078832 GM IS the 217-406 Delco. The picture, shows it to be the blunt nose.

Here is the AC Delco interchange documentation I got from their site:

ACDelco part number.
» New Competitive Cross Reference Search
Part#: 17078832
Manufacturer: GM
Part Type: Fuel Injection Idle Air Control Valve
Interchange Manufacturers:
Disclaimer: To be used as guide only. Please reference catalog to verify application
Parts Matching Your Selection
VALVE ASM,TBI IDLE AIR CONT
Part Number: 217-406

Personally, I don't see the need for the "correct" style. Certainly it would be preferred. The FSM says to be sure to use the correct type. However, rarely if ever, does the IAC have to totally seal off the IAC air passage(s) in normal operation. If the correct replacement isn't available, I don't know why any style wouldn't work. Just make sure the pintle is properly retracted, so as not to damage the pintle or the pintle seat upon assembly.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 06:35 PM
dchoran
Racer

Anybody else with a stock '84 using the IAC BLUNT pintle ACDelco part number 217-406 / GM 17078832???

Can somebody say with 100% certainty that the alternate single taper or dual taper work just fine in an '84 before I fork out $150+????????????

"Electronics" are non-returnable in most places so I want to get it right the first time.

THANKS CFI-EFI for the leg work - I got to the same conclusion myself after a few hours of research online.

I have the complete GM FSM for the '84 but don't see any part numbers. Is there a separate parts manual too?????

Newbie here - have only had a Vette for a couple months - fun to drive AND to work on!!!!!!!!!

TBI seems one step better than a carb and not as complicated/expensive as TPI.

Dave H.

Last edited by dchoran; 10-09-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:31 AM
kangi
Burning Brakes

Dave, I just got a spare intake including TBs and I pulled one of the IACs out and it looks like the one in the pic that CFI-EFI posted. If thats what you need, I'd be willing to send them to you, pm me if you're interested.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:18 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dchoran
Anybody else with a stock '84 using the IAC BLUNT pintle ACDelco part number 217-406 / GM 17078832???

THANKS CFI-EFI for the leg work - I got to the same conclusion myself after a few hours of research online.

I have the complete GM FSM for the '84 but don't see any part numbers. Is there a separate parts manual too?????

TBI seems one step better than a carb and not as complicated/expensive as TPI.

Dave H.
My IACs are the blunt style. I'd like to know why anyone might think other styles wouldn't work. $150.00??? Take a trip to the bone yard and buy a couple of TBs off of 4 or 6 cylinder junk engines. Or kangi has a great offer for you.

Helm Inc. prints and sells the FSM for many cars, including our Corvettes. Use that "Chilton's" to keep the car from rolling or to swat flies. I have an, Effective April, 1989, 1984 - 89 Chevrolet Y Parts and Illustration Catalog". It was the parts book used back in the day by the Chevrolet parts departments. I don't believe anyone, Chevrolet or a publisher ever offered it for sale the general public. I also have a CD of a micro fiche of a parts catalog of all C4s, 1984 - 1996.

Opinions vary, but I think a TB is light years ahead of a carb. And behind the TPI in principle only. Technically, the TPI "reads" much better. But the Crossfire is easier to modify economically than the TPI and it responds very well to minimal changes.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 10:08 AM
dchoran
Racer

This forum is awesome.

Good resource.

Good information.

Good PEOPLE

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 10:45 AM
kangi
Burning Brakes

email sent.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:13 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dchoran
This forum is awesome.

Good resource.

Good information.

Good PEOPLE

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hear, hear, brother
Old 10-10-2009, 03:36 PM
dchoran
Racer

AutoZone's/Duralast/Wells AC101's have a BLUNT tip even though the pic shows dual taper.

INSTALLED AND BACK TO NORMAL

Get notified of new replies

To PLEASE HELP!!!! '84 IAC - 3 types - can't find one anywhere???

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP!!!! '84 IAC - 3 types - can't find one anywhere???