C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Removing Half Shafts

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:04 AM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Removing Half Shafts

I am in the process of installing new rear brakes on my '92 including the left rear wheel bearing assembly. I thought as long as I have the car on jack stands now would be a good time to install new U-joints on the half shafts. I was wondering what do I need to do to remove the half shafts; is there anything I need to do before removing the clamps on the U-joints? Thanks for your help!
Bernie
Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, no....

Take the four straps loose, then sorta pry the wheel assembly outward and the shaft will be able to be pulled downward. Don't be frightened to pry a bit to get the hub to move.

Some take off some of the suspension, but I've found that it comes out the same either way. But if you feel better remove the spring and that bar that hooks the D36...whatever it is called. Just those two components to the rear is all that is needed. Don't mess with the Dog bones in the front.

One thing that I will tell you. You need long socket extensions (I use three hooked together) to reach in all the way from the wheel well to those inside straps. So you are sitting outside where the rear wheel usually sits, and you are reaching all the way into where those inner straps are and working from that point. This by far is the best method for getting to those bolts.

The Hub side, you'll have to get on your back. If you have a friend nearby. Have them get inside the car and hold the brake will you break loose the bolts. Do all 8 and then let your friend off the hook while you finish removing the bolts. It goes pretty fast this way. and you find that you can use your Cordless Drill to twist those things out after they are broken loose.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:51 AM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

jhammons01, Thanks for the info! Sounds like I will be doing u-joints this weekend!
Bernie
Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

One side is an "Evening" thing if you feel industrious between now and then.

Another thing people get stumped with is the u-joint removal once the shaft is out.

I took mine out in the drive and scrubbed them clean as soon as got them out. The u-joint is steal and the shaft yoke is aluminum. The two will be stuck together pretty well. This is one of those "bigger" hammer moments. Support the bottom of yoke with something and hit the top part with an old socket or punch (if you have the right size)....and to get it to budge, you may need to put a little "umph" into that first whack. Once it breaks loose then the 2nd and maybe 3rd hit is all it will take to finish up. It moves easily once it breaks free. The New one will go into place quite easily as well. It's all about the two different metals bonding over time.

The reason I noted this, I've spend time in my youth hammering on u-joints. destroying some old socket in the process......these...they seem to come quite easily once you get that first budge.

Going back together is just as easy as coming out.

I will say this....I think doing both in an evening would be quite industrious. So unless you wanna do one this evening and then get dirty all over again Tomorrow eve.....maybe waiting till Saturday is better. All ones opinion...
Old 10-21-2009, 04:22 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

I have changed all the u-joints on the C3 1979 Vette I had. A lot easier than the C4. I used a fine emory cloth on the half shaft bores which helped with the installation. I will try to pull the halfshaft your way 1st and remove the parts listed only if I have to.
Thanks again for your help! Great write-up in your PM!
Bernie
Old 10-21-2009, 06:46 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jhammons01
Another thing people get stumped with is the u-joint removal once the shaft is out. .
http://personal.tmlp.com/scorp/vette/images/ujoints/
Old 10-21-2009, 07:47 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

WOW, great write-up and pic's.mate
Old 10-21-2009, 09:59 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Rodjs' write up is actually the one I looked at first. I was going through and starting to remove all that stuff and score the camber location etc.....

CentralCoaster told me to just pry outward on the hub.....it worked without removing all those components. Rodj is more thorough and detailed....mine is the lazy man method.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jhammons01
starting to remove all that stuff and score the camber location etc.....
It's not much more work to disconnect the spring bolt and tierod; gives much more movement in the spindle .If you drop the outer end of the chamber arm you don't have to worry about marking the inner end

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Half Shafts

Quick Reply: Removing Half Shafts