C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 climate control

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:10 PM
hmmorillo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 climate control

Hey guys, I hope that you all had a happy thanksgiving. I've been working on my 87 coupe auto and have been trying to restore it back to factory condition. I wanted to know how hard does your a/c or heater blow? It seems that mine blows at about a medium level when set to the max. Just wanted to know before I started changing the blower and cleaning out ducts. Everything seems to work fine with the electronic climate control, except that it doesn't blow very hard. Thanks in advance guys. My other car is a 2000 GMC yukon and it blows about 10 times more air than the vette.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Baldfart
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1987 convert with climate control and it seems to act the same. My other vehicle is a 2002 GMC pickup. A good friend of mine charged it with a pound of R12, it gets cold but does not push a lot of air. At least not near as much as my pickup
Old 12-03-2009, 11:55 PM
hmmorillo
Advanced

Thanks. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? Has anyone fixed it?
Old 12-04-2009, 02:43 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Start by clean out the evap core; it has 22 years of crap blocking it
Hot wire the blower motor and see if it runs any faster.
Motor could be dying or the blower control module faulty.( common)
Old 12-05-2009, 08:13 PM
RED BARON
Instructor

I've had an 89 coupe and now have an 87 Vert. I replaced the heater/AC control on both of them and I have to say neither pushed a lot of air. I thought it was just my car but after reading what others are saying it looks like it just the nature of the beast.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:07 PM
hmmorillo
Advanced

I will definetely try that RODJ. Hopefully when I hot wire the blower, it then pushes more air. Will post results from the test soon. Thanks to all.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Teriod
8th Gear

Default blend door

the blend door can be seen from the center vents on the console, you have to be sure this is operating, this is controled by engine vacumn and a one way check valve, you could have a vacumn leak either before or after this valve or the valve itself could be faulty(couple bucks)if the leak is between plenum and valve you will have loping idle after warm up, if after valve engine will run normal, this valve is either on pass side by fuel reg. or drive side by dizzy. it should plug into plenum pass side rear in plain view. when i fixed this problem it increased the flow of my ac, from what i understand it is a fairly common problem pics of said valve and vac diagram can be search here,,, i will look for the thread
more links
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...rchid=13761111

said valve
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...Universal+Type

Last edited by Teriod; 12-11-2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: spell
Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 PM
dontruitt
Advanced

My 87 coupe with automatic climate control is the same way. Does not push anywhere the air that my Subaru of the wife's Prius does. It does appear to be the nature of the beast.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:42 AM
86L98Project
3rd Gear

Default Easy fix for me

I had the same problem on my 86. Another member told me to check my blower motor controler (blower motor resistor). Picked one up at a junk yard off a beautiful 86 that had been traded in in the cash for clunkers and popped it in and have had no problems since. There is one on ebay cheap right now. May be an easy fix

Get notified of new replies

To 87 climate control

Quick Reply: 87 climate control