Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine Sponsored by
J&D Corvette

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 12-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
davedirt

Default Injectors on one side not working.

Let me preface this by saying I am no mechanic. I have a 1989 L-98. Currently it will crank, but runs like s#%t! I have narrowed the problem down to the fuel injectors on the drivers side. With the car running, I unplugged all four injectors on that side - no change in the way the car was running. Like I said, I'm not a mechanic so I don't know where to look from here. I have had it in two shops. They don't even want to fool with it. (I can't afford to pay them either!) I am hoping someone here may have some experience they can share.
davedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
bitsa85
CF Senior Member

If all 4 of your injectors go bad at once you should go play the lottery right now because that would be very rare. That being said it sounds like the drivers side injector harness is the first place I would look for the problem.(ie..broken and or grounded wires.)
bitsa85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
bitsa85
CF Senior Member

Oh, and I forgot to mention.... Do not assume that it is the injectors without testing the plugs and wires for spark and eleminating them or verifing them as the problem. I am an ASC certifed master tech and before I changed careers to IT I worked as a auto tech for 15 years so you can trust my advise.If you need it I can im you my phone# so we can work the problem more efficently.
bitsa85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
94z07fx3
CF Senior Member

One bad injector can cause a bank to fail.

Disco them one at a time to see if the remaning three begin to work. Ohm them hot and cold. Watch the videos in the FIC sticky.
94z07fx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
94vettelover2
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedirt View Post
Let me preface this by saying I am no mechanic. I have a 1989 L-98. Currently it will crank, but runs like s#%t! I have narrowed the problem down to the fuel injectors on the drivers side. With the car running, I unplugged all four injectors on that side - no change in the way the car was running. Like I said, I'm not a mechanic so I don't know where to look from here. I have had it in two shops. They don't even want to fool with it. (I can't afford to pay them either!) I am hoping someone here may have some experience they can share.
On some older GM vehicles,one bad injector will not allow the injectors behind it to work.First check for injector pulse on the side where the suspect injectors are.Check all 4 for injector pulse.Second while injectors are still disconnected ohm each injector.They should read about the same(ohms).If getting injector pulse on all(suspect) injectors & all injectors ohm out the same pull fuel rail while all injectors are connected to fuel rail.Put a small container under each injector & have someone try starting vehicle while you watch injector spray pattern.Or you can switch suspect injectors over to other side & see if problem occurs on that side.No smoking while doing any of this!Post results
94vettelover2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
94vettelover2
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsa85 View Post
Oh, and I forgot to mention.... Do not assume that it is the injectors without testing the plugs and wires for spark and eleminating them or verifing them as the problem. I am an ASC certifed master tech and before I changed careers to IT I worked as a auto tech for 15 years so you can trust my advise.If you need it I can im you my phone# so we can work the problem more efficently.
You mean ASE certified
Old 12-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
davedirt

ok this prob sounds like a stupid question to you seasoned veterans - how do I test the injectors?

I thought I might have some wiring issues or ecm problems. nice to hear it might be one injector.
davedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
94z07fx3
CF Senior Member

Quote:
ok this prob sounds like a stupid question to you seasoned veterans - how do I test the injectors?

I thought I might have some wiring issues or ecm problems. nice to hear it might be one injector.
The FIC videos do a better job explaining it than I can. Watch them.

Basically you disco the harness from the injector then read the resistance from one terminal to the other. It is not a comprehensive test. It will only show one that has failed electrically. If you see any in or below the 12 Ohm range suspect it.

FIC will hook you up with Bosch Designe III injectors all 8 for about $170 (check with them to be sure of pricing) and these are compatible with E15 (15% alcohol fuel) whereas the original ones are not.
94z07fx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
FICINJECTORS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Quote:

You can be a certified RN to test injectors. One shorted injector will keep the bank from working, also there are two injector fuses. 1 for each bank.. check those if you have not already done so. Then watch the video and report the findings.
FICINJECTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
steve40th
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Do a simple check, and check your fuse for the injectors as there are left and right bank fuses.
steve40th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #11
94vettelover2
CF Senior Member

Keep in mind that even if injector(s) ohm properly/in spec the injector can STILL be bad.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
floridamale
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve40th View Post
Do a simple check, and check your fuse for the injectors as there are left and right bank fuses.

Simple to do and first place to start. It’s a step by step process to get to problem. Then get a node test light make sure you have a pulse at injectors, then try disconnecting one at a time see if idle improves, then ohm test them hot & cold . You can also listen to them using a long screw driver or probe while car is running you should hear a clicking sound. Good Luck
floridamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
pr0zac
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to pr0zac

did you check the fuses?
pr0zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Injectors on one side not working.

Tags
12ohm, bank, c4, change, corvette, inector, injecting, injector, injectors, left, ls1, ohms, power, side, spec, unplugged, working