C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:29 PM
gsff19
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Replacement

Here is my issue, I have a stock 1984 corvette with the L89, Im looking to put in a crate motor most likely a 350 with a carb/air cleaner. I need to know if anyone has done that and what I need to look out for.

Do I need to change any of my cooling components?

is there any hood clearance issues?

whats a good motor to use?

What extra will I have to purchase with the motor?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2009, 10:15 PM
gsff19
Cruising

Really Nobody has any advice.........
Old 12-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gsff19
Really Nobody has any advice.........

As a newer member, you may not be aware that this is discussed very often. After years and years of archiving data, many do not wish to answer the same questions over and over.
I have not done the swap, so I cannot offer 1st hand advice.
I would recommend using the search feature to look back at all of the carb swaps done in a c4.
Good luck.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:45 PM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't carb it.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:26 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

As Pete mentioned, this has been discussed a multitude of times. A search of the archives should net you a great deal of data.

If you decide to remove the CFI and use a carburetor, you will need the carb and low profile intake (hood clearance is an issue), a non-computer controlled distributor (HEI), a means of lowering your fuel pressure such as a regulator, a drop down air cleaner for hood clearance, and all associated mounting brackets and linkages, cables, etc. You will need a means of locking the torque converter if Auto, such as a vacuum switch, and a bracket for the TV cable on the auto. I'm sure I'm missing something, but that should get you started. Please be advised that if you live in an emissions testing area, your car (while it may still pass) is no longer emissions legal.

It's certainly doable, and many have done it. Mind if I ask why specifically you want to switch to a carb? There are a number of ways to improve CFI performance, and the system is quite reliable if maintained like any other EFI system.

As for engines, your car has a generation 1 small block Chevy engine. There are an abundance of suitable crate motors available, depending on what your power goals are and what you want to spend. And unless the block is defective in some way, you can rebuild yours too.

Your cooling system should be fine if it's up to snuff already.

BTW...your engine is the L-83, not L-89.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep your injection. You might think carbs are easier to deal with, and to a degree they are, but FI is much more accurate and not hard to understand if you study on it some.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:04 PM
larry00
Race Director

You can buy a marine engine with stand alone engine management system . EFI is better !

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Replacement

Quick Reply: Engine Replacement