C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

corvette with no keys

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:00 AM
Scott S
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default corvette with no keys

I'm looking at buying a 90 that has no keys. It's a repo.

Is there any way of getting a key made from the VIN number or something or would I just need to replace the ignition and door locks?

How hard is it to change out the ignition lock?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 02-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Any good locksmith can make keys for it. The dealer can get the codes and VATS resistor # (1-15) from the VIN if necessary, but the locksmith can do it without them.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:01 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

So the bottom line is that your buying the car based just on the visual. I assume you can't drive it, wonder if there is any way to get any additional information. Look for any leaks, tire wear, paint work and check as much as the electrical as you can although you will be limited.

Most of all get a great deal.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:57 PM
turbotim23
Pro

I've bought cars like that a lot. I've just taken the door locks out and brought them to the lock shop and had a key made . Or at worst take the whole steering shaft out and bring that to them.I would get someone with a flatbed wrecker to haul it home for you then get the keys figured out later. Oh and make sure you know how to have them tie it down,there are towing tabs underneath. if they try to strap to suspension arms like many will want to it can cause lots of damage. When it comes to those type of cars you can do it ok if you figure out how much it will cost to fix everything wrong, add to that cost for towing & keys and figure a bunch more for things you can't see.I always look it over close. I check brakes ,turn the motor over by hand to make sure it's not froze up, smell the fluids, check the radiator,battery,tires and other things. I hope to make money on those kind of cars. If you have to pay close to what a used corvette like it would cost you are paying too much. find out if in your state the car will end up with a special title. I've bought a 94 caprice 9c1 cop car and a 85 blazer with special titles. They don't have near the resale value that a normal car will have. If you can buy them cheap it's worth it though, the 9c1 I only paid 100.00$ for it. Anther tip is don't bid in even amounts if it's a sealed bid, bid something like 1852.75. It might be that one extra bid that helps win the car. Good Luck Tim
Old 02-17-2010, 03:03 PM
turbotim23
Pro

I've bought cars like that a lot. I've just taken the door locks out and brought them to the lock shop and had a key made . Or at worst take the whole steering shaft out and bring that to them.I would get someone with a flatbed wrecker to haul it home for you then get the keys figured out later. Oh and make sure you know how to have them tie it down,there are towing tabs underneath. if they try to strap to suspension arms like many will want to it can cause lots of damage. When it comes to those type of cars you can do it ok if you figure out how much it will cost to fix everything wrong, add to that cost for towing & keys and figure a bunch more for things you can't see.I always look it over close. I check brakes ,turn the motor over by hand to make sure it's not froze up, smell the fluids, check the radiator,battery,tires and other things. I hope to make money on those kind of cars. If you have to pay close to what a used corvette like it would cost you are paying too much. find out if in your state the car will end up with a special title. I've bought a 94 caprice 9c1 cop car and a 85 blazer with special titles. They don't have near the resale value that a normal car will have. If you can buy them cheap it's worth it though, the 9c1 I only paid 100.00$ for it. Anther tip is don't bid in even amounts if it's a sealed bid, bid something like 1852.75. It might be that one extra bid that helps win the car. Good Luck Tim
Old 02-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Y-ME
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once you title it you can take the title to any GM dealer with your ID they can cut new keys off the VIN for the fee of whatever they charge for a key. Beats replacing stuff.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:45 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Y-ME
Once you title it you can take the title to any GM dealer with your ID they can cut new keys off the VIN for the fee of whatever they charge for a key. Beats replacing stuff.
Definitely in this case given the circumstances. You’re not getting a ignition key from a door lock. And who wants to take a steering column apart the get to the cylinder on a 20 yr old car requiring special tools.

Pay the money, save that work effort for something else. I don't think the pricing will be that much of a difference in the end. And even if it is greater I believe it is a good way to go.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:23 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

WTF, tell the people to get you a dang key or move on. Unless it's one helluva deal.

But yes you can get keys if that's your wish. But it would be easier to have the seller do it. It's his car and not yours.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:48 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Scott S
It's a repo.
I would guess the car has been repossessed b a repo company and they don’t have the key. I would guess the owner has the key and not giving it up.

As said, it should be a hell of a deal.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:08 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

It better be a steal....I would never ever buy a C4 without running/driving it first.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:50 PM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If someone else has a set of keys to this car, I would suggest you have the locksmith change out the key codes so the "old" keys will no longer work, I'm sure the previous owner would love to take it for a ride if he happened to find it and if he has keys, its that much easier for him to make off with your car.

Thats what I would do......

Good luck and do tell what a good deal was!
What did you get it for?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:53 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Y-ME
I'm guessing he's not gonna have success with this route. GM only keeps this info on file for so long. I lost the only set of keys to my 91 about 4 years ago. At that time they had the cut on file for the ignition and doors (unfortunately the ign key info was bad), but no VATs info. I'm betting he'll be lucky to even get that much info. Its definitely wort a shot though

I'd try the dealer first, then try a locksmith. I was able to get my started without either, but it was a major PITA.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Camarillo??

http://www.alertlock.com/

Easy cheasy, lemon squeazy....

One call and be done with it.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:17 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TA
I'm guessing he's not gonna have success with this route. GM only keeps this info on file for so long. I lost the only set of keys to my 91 about 4 years ago. At that time they had the cut on file for the ignition and doors (unfortunately the ign key info was bad), but no VATs info. I'm betting he'll be lucky to even get that much info. Its definitely wort a shot though

I'd try the dealer first, then try a locksmith. I was able to get my started without either, but it was a major PITA.
Considering this information, it might be wise to check with the dealer ASAP before making a deal on the car. That way you will know where you stand.

If you had to go the locksmith route, they can make a key with no pellet. Then you would have to get to the VATS wires and try the 15 different resistor choices by trial and error to find the right one. Then the locksmith can make you a proper key. This should work considering the engine and all is OK and in running condition that will start normally.

This is a PITA, lot of work and would not like to go down that road myself.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:30 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Considering this information, it might be wise to check with the dealer ASAP before making a deal on the car. That way you will know where you stand.

If you had to go the locksmith route, they can make a key with no pellet. Then you would have to get to the VATS wires and try the 15 different resistor choices by trial and error to find the right one. Then the locksmith can make you a proper key. This should work considering the engine and all is OK and in running condition that will start normally.

This is a PITA, lot of work and would not like to go down that road myself.
I've done it and you're correct, its no fun.

Some locksmiths may have a tool called a "vats interrogator" that will give you the vats code.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:27 PM
ant-knee470
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A locksmith can get pricey,

GoodLuck!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

As I was driving home from work and now sitting in my office tonight I reflect back on this thread. I think about the things technical I said along with everybody's else's input. All good solid information. I also think about what cuisinartvette said.

But I ask myself now would I buy that car even for $5,000 if it was not running and could not even turn the key to on. Depends if you a gambler, great mechanic or just want a possible project car. For me , I just don’t know if I could put my name on the dotted line.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:56 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^^A '90 REPO with no Keys???

$5k may be a bit Generous
Old 02-19-2010, 03:49 AM
Scott S
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhammons01
^^A '90 REPO with no Keys???

$5k may be a bit Generous
$5000 is way generous. I'm thinking any more than $2000 and it's not worth dealing with.

Thanks for the input from everyone... will post if I buy it.

Cheers,
Scott

Get notified of new replies

To corvette with no keys

Quick Reply: corvette with no keys