C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tuning a '90 L98 engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:12 PM
ksch994462
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning a '90 L98 engine

This is admittedly a shot in the dark. My '90 convertible with L98 engine is in beautiful condition; however, it idles rough, and feels like its jerking a little while I drive it, which makes the driving experience a lot less enjoyable. I have done the tuneup, including plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor. It only has 66k miles on it. It doesn't throw any error codes and the dealer service dept just says that some of the corvettes just idle rough. I don't want to start replacing perfectly good components looking for some good luck. What would the real knowledgeable corvette guys do in my situation? I really appreciate any suggestions you can make.

Last edited by ksch994462; 02-23-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Get rid of the factory multitech injectors & replace them with flowed Bosch 111 injectors.

My 90 runs A+ after the swap.

Contact Jon at fuel injection connection. There should be a sticky about injectors.

Found the link

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...questions.html
Old 02-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Get rid of the factory multitech injectors & replace them with flowed Bosch 111 injectors.

Contact Jon at fuel injection connection. There should be a sticky about injectors.

Found the link

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...questions.html
while you're at it, clean the throttle-body...
Old 02-24-2010, 01:07 AM
esham
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 02-24-2010, 03:26 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks for the link on those Bosch IIIs...
Old 02-24-2010, 10:26 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ksch994462
This is admittedly a shot in the dark. My '90 convertible with L98 engine is in beautiful condition; however, it idles rough, and feels like its jerking a little while I drive it, which makes the driving experience a lot less enjoyable. I have done the tuneup, including plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor. It only has 66k miles on it. It doesn't throw any error codes and the dealer service dept just says that some of the corvettes just idle rough. I don't want to start replacing perfectly good components looking for some good luck. What would the real knowledgeable corvette guys do in my situation? I really appreciate any suggestions you can make.
It may be injectors but I am surprised the dealer didn't try to sell you new or at least check them. Before you rush out and buy new injectors, check the ohm readings (hot and cold). Also check fuel pressure. I had the same symptoms as you 3 years ago, and it turned out not to be the injectors. I am still running the originals in my 1989.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:57 AM
ksch994462
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I just returned from the dealer service dept & the guy I'm working with agrees. He describes it as a "hard miss," and if it was an electronic problem, it should register an error code, check engine light. He thinks it could be the gear at the end of the distributor shaft that's worn and it may be drifting in and out of time. Tomorrow, they're installing a new heater core (about $350) and they'll pull the distributor to check the gear.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Wow, $350 for a heater core ain't too shabby...
Old 02-24-2010, 11:28 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I just returned from the dealer service dept & the guy I'm working with agrees. He describes it as a "hard miss," and if it was an electronic problem, it should register an error code, check engine light. He thinks it could be the gear at the end of the distributor shaft that's worn and it may be drifting in and out of time. Tomorrow, they're installing a new heater core (about $350) and they'll pull the distributor to check the gear.
real troubleshooting is the way to go!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:52 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Timing droping in and out will not create a miss just the performance will be sluggish on all 8 cylinders.. I am not a believer.. I wish I lived closer because for 350 I would gladly have them do the heater core and blend door stuff on my 91.. that is a steal so they certainly must be honest or looking to fill the service bays..
Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Check #7 for a leaking head gasket; ie, check compression and complete a leakdown test or simply look at the plug and compare it to #5 or see if there's rust on the threads.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:18 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

I had a miss in my 89 and it turned out to be the inside of the junk(Fram) gas filter had come loose and was blocking the gas flow. I also had a hole in my egr valve diaphram that made it miss and would make it jerk while driving. You can check the diaphram by spraying carb cleaner or TB cleaner at the bottom of the egr valve while the car is running , if the idle changes its the diaphram..If your filter hasn't been changed in a while do that also...I also agree with the others , check your injectors with a meter, they should be around 16 ohms both hot and cold..Good luck....WW

Last edited by WW7; 02-24-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Joe C
Race Director

resistance doesn't check spray patterns and flow rates. these are other factors to consider. injector filters, and fuel deposits on the internal passages can effect spray patterns and performance. i can see where one injector, even though it passes the resistance test, doesn't flow sufficiently, thus causing a weak cylinder. a couple of bad injectors, and all of a sudden, rough idle...

i'm not saying that's the problem, i'm saying just because an injector passes the electrical resistance test, doesn't mean it's operating at 100%. it's not a black or white thing.

the following is from a Fuel Injector Performance Testing & Restoration site:

A 5 Micron blockage at the injector's pintal area can result in a 25% blockage of Fuel Flow. Just 10% will begin showing as drivability problems. Oxygen sensors can only sense the overall lean/rich result
of a fuel system and at the present, the ECU has no way of detecting
or correcting a single Injector's flow problem.
Lean or Rich, correction is achieved by the ECU adjusting Injector
pulse-width or flow ratio to all cylinders. As the ECU struggles to
command a balance, the prolonged incorrect fuel volumes, result in lower overall performance...

a 25 year old car with original multi-tech's - i'd consider replacing them whether or not they pass the resistance test...

Last edited by Joe C; 02-24-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:04 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Joe C
resistance doesn't check spray patterns and flow rates. these are other factor to consider. injector (inlet) filters, and fuel deposits on the internal passages can effect spray patterns and performance. i can see where one injector, even though it passes the resistance test, doesn't flow sufficiently, thus causing a weak cylinder. a couple of bad injectors, and all of a sudden, rough idle...

i'm not saying that's the problem, i'm saying just because an injector passes the electrical resistance test, doesn't mean it's 100%...
Your Absolutely correct , but Multec injectors in 89-91 are known to have problems with the coils shorting out, and this should be one of the first things to check with these years when your having these drivability problems.Personally, with the problems they have had with these injectors I would suggest replacing them even if they are still working...But thats just me, some guys have had no problems..WW

Last edited by WW7; 02-24-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Joe C
Race Director

my 90 has what i'm thinking, the original multi-tech's (53K miles on the clock). the car has no starting issues, gets decent gas mileage (actual 23.9 mpg highway), has a somewhat of a smooth idle, etc, but from a performance standpoint, it's a slug! the resistance test is good, but i'm replacing them with boschIII's (as soon as i get off my lazy a$$) -
Old 02-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

First thing I would do is drive to the dealership and slap whoever told you that they are supposed to idle rough, he was just being a lazy ****
Old 02-24-2010, 03:23 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
First thing I would do is drive to the dealership and slap whoever told you that they are supposed to idle rough, he was just being a lazy ****
I agree , if a car idles rough theres something wrong, period. I bet when it was new it didn't idle rough, or it would of been back to the dealer getting its $40,000 azz fixed.. ...WW

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning a '90 L98 engine

Old 02-24-2010, 03:50 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Do yourself a favor, and try pushing all the wires onto the spark plugs until yoiu either feel them click onto the plugs or you hear a faint "click". Try it also on the distributor cap as well.
In high school, I did a tune up on my girlfriend's bug, and then she had what you are describing. Her father went out and pushed the plug wires onto the plugs better, and the problem went away.
He said "I thought when you work on a car, it was supposed to get better."
Never forgot that.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:04 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
Do yourself a favor, and try pushing all the wires onto the spark plugs until yoiu either feel them click onto the plugs or you hear a faint "click". Try it also on the distributor cap as well.
In high school, I did a tune up on my girlfriend's bug, and then she had what you are describing. Her father went out and pushed the plug wires onto the plugs better, and the problem went away.
He said "I thought when you work on a car, it was supposed to get better."
Never forgot that.
Ouch..I bet that hurt....WW
Old 02-24-2010, 08:42 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

[QUOTE=coupeguy2001;1573215371]Do yourself a favor, and try pushing all the wires onto the spark plugs until yoiu either feel them click onto the plugs or you hear a faint "click". Try it also on the distributor cap as well.
QUOTE]

On my stock 91 6spd when the car would get warmed up it would have a slight miss inconsistently. I accidentally found it was on the #6 cylinder plug wire at the plug would not stay connected to plug. Replaced the plug wire and the other 7 as well and never had the problem again.

Quick Reply: Tuning a '90 L98 engine