C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Coolant leak at upper radiator hose...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 08:37 PM
Alex D
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Coolant leak at upper radiator hose...

Have something happen that baffles me. When I take the car out and during warming up the engine, even when keeping the revs under 2000 rpm, there is always a little collant pressing past the upper coolant hose connection at the radiator. Even after repositioning the hose clamp and really tigthening down the clamp, it still squeezes out some coolant until the car warms up and it goes away. Kinda messy cause the stuff sprays all over and the coolant is really agressive on the under hood finish (dulls it permanently).
I know the upper radiator hose is under high pressure until the thermostat opens because on an LT1 the thermostat is on the inlet side where the coolant enters into the waterpump and the only relief to the pressure is the heater coolant circuit.
My car sat a lot in the past year. Only put 2000 miles on it and I assume that has to do with the problem.
Anyone had this happen too? Is it just a weak clamp/hose??
Please let me know.
Old 03-09-2002, 08:47 PM
EricVonHa
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Coolant leak at upper radiator hose... (Alex D)

It's a weak clamp. I had the same problem with one of mine. It would leave a mysterious little drip puddle intermittently.. I'd tighten the clamp every time, finally replaced the biayatch. Problem solved! :yesnod:
Old 03-09-2002, 09:36 PM
Alex D
Drifting

Default Re: Coolant leak at upper radiator hose... (EricVonHa)

Coolio !
Thanks
Old 03-09-2002, 10:03 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff

My advice is to replace the hose. When removed clean both ends until smooth, and install the new hose with new clamps on the clean and smooth connections.

Your pressure scenario is not correct, the pump allows bypass when the thermostat is not open. No pressure higher then the 15 psi pressure cap in the system.

Pete
Old 03-09-2002, 11:46 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Coolant leak at upper radiator hose... (PeteL)

I agree with Pete and replace both the hose and clamps. You might use emery cloth (lightly) on the radiator outlet to remove any scales....and use a little liquid dish soap on the inside of the new hose when installing it. That allows for easy attachment and should fix your problem.
Old 03-10-2002, 01:20 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't know why, but a new GM upper hose will sometimes never stop leaking a little coolant. I replaced mine with an aftermarket hose and had no further problems.
Old 03-10-2002, 01:27 AM
TVS VETTE
Advanced

I have to agree. Replace the hose with name brand and use Napa or Gates hose clamps. So not buy the cheapees. You get what you pay for. :seeya
Old 03-10-2002, 03:42 AM
M2001
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Coolant leak at upper radiator hose... (TVS VETTE)

Goodyear makes the Hi-Miler hose kit for thr Corvette. Summit Racing sells the hose kit for about $65 or so. These hoses are blue in color and they look pretty trick. I can tell you from my experience that these Goodyear hoses are way better than stock type hoses. These Goodyear Hi-Miler hoses are the same type used for police cars and they hardly ever go bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant leak at upper radiator hose...

Quick Reply: Coolant leak at upper radiator hose...