C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Paging Tom Piper

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 03:43 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Paging Tom Piper

Tom P, can you explain number 5 as I have a 93 with the new Opti, and the harness I recieved has four pins in it also,

Tom Says,I have a '95 Opti-Spark on my '92.
Here is what I had to change:
1) Cam -- the broached hole in the center of the cam was not large enough
2) front cover -- the newer Opti needs a larger hole in the front cover
3) cam gear -- the newer Opti is driven by a longer dowel pin, not the cam gear.
4) New Opti-Spark
5) '95 Opti-Spark electrical harness extension -- I had to swap the connector from the old harness extension on one end (just eject the pins and put in the same number on the connector from the old harness, plus there is one less wire: the ground wire is missing).
6) Vacuum harness for newer Opti -- I had to make a hole in my intake bellows for it.

[Modified by steve40th, 9:44 PM 3/9/2002]
Old 03-10-2002, 09:28 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Paging Tom Piper (steve40th)

The early (non-vented) Opti-Spark electrical harness extension has a shield that runs the length of the harness; it uses one of the pins in the connector. The later vented Opti-Spark does not have that shield, so there is no pin needed for it. I don't know if there would have been a problem; but, when I positioned the new harness, I made sure that I kept it away from the spark plug wires.

The new electical harness extension will plug right into the later Opti-Spark, but the other end (the end under the right fuel rail cover) will not mate with the pre-95 main harness. The old and the new harness have connectors that are numbered for each conductor pin location. These pins are the same and they can be easily ejected (I bought an ejector tool at Pep Boys) from both connectors -- just make sure you don't mix them up after ejecting them, I ejected them one at a time and put it in the same numbered location in the other connector. When you are done, there will be one empty location in the old connector, because the new harness extension doesn't have a shield.

Tom Piper

[Modified by Tom Piper, 8:31 AM 3/10/2002]
Old 03-10-2002, 02:38 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Re: Paging Tom Piper (Tom Piper)

Thanks Tom, I will attempt this today. The harness that comes out of the opti that connects to the harness under the fuel rail on both opti's physically have 4 wires coming out and one is a shield on the 95? Is this correct?
And where are they numbered, in the service manual? Because they are different colored wires. Okay I found it, they are labeled ABCD. So you ejected them then put them in the other harness . Okay. Thanks this makes sense now. But which letter is not used?

Get notified of new replies

To Paging Tom Piper

Quick Reply: Paging Tom Piper