C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust comparison Flowmater, Magnaflow &Headman Elite (videos)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:28 PM
CDVBMX304
Last Gear Tapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What all do you have done to your car Ch@os?
How fast on that fly bye vid. Your vette sounds mean.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:39 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CDVBMX304
What all do you have done to your car Ch@os?
How fast on that fly bye vid. Your vette sounds mean.
PM sent
Old 01-30-2011, 01:22 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Ok, So my new Fast Burn head ports were way to big for my Headman headers. I sold those. My idea was to get some TPIS long tubes and 3" magnaflow cat back for a LT1 and use some bullet cats with a Xpipe. I would have to wait about 6 months to buy it sooo.
I was browsing and found some take out LT1 exhaust and for less that $170 I now have this exhaust including hangers. I measured the ports on the manifolds and they match almost perfectly.

I cleaned them up with 100 grip wet and sanded the Mufflers with 400 to paint.

On an LT1 oil filter adapter is offset make room for the monster cats.

I sourced some replacements with bullet cats on the popular auction site.
$314.00 shipped.

The front hanger bolts in the same place the L98 transmission hanger goes. The rear bolts to the botom 4 bolts on the backside of the rear end. I had to enlarge the holes in the rear hangers.

The hanger on the left has the holes enlarged. The one on the right is the stock size.

I have the cat back on it fits nicely. I'm waiting for My POR-15 for the manifold then i will put them on.

Ok I got the rest on. Here are some pictures.

I had to bend the heat shield a little it was hitting the steering.

It hits the stock oil filter so i will need to get a shorter filter. The PF454 is the same as the stock filter but 2" shorter.

The passages side fits nicely. I now realize i am missing the hanger that bolts to the trans there.

I will get some better pictures when I can get it running and on the ramps. I think it fits great.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:21 PM
CDVBMX304
Last Gear Tapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice job Ch@os. What does Por-15 mean? What cc chambers are your new heads? Do you think you'll have to modify the TPIS LT's or the cat pipes, to fit to the Bullet cats? Are you going to keep the center cat when you get your TPIS LT's? Is there 3 cats on the LT1's? My L98 had 3 cats. I bet you wanna go rail that beast now?, those heads should make a nice jump in HP, new video anticipated.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:37 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CDVBMX304
Nice job Ch@os. What does Por-15 mean? What cc chambers are your new heads? Do you think you'll have to modify the TPIS LT's or the cat pipes, to fit to the Bullet cats? Are you going to keep the center cat when you get your TPIS LT's? Is there 3 cats on the LT1's? My L98 had 3 cats. I bet you wanna go rail that beast now?, those heads should make a nice jump in HP, new video anticipated.
POR-15 is a paint product it works well.

Head specs:
Aluminum Fast Burn Head 62cc Combustion Chamber, 210cc Intake Runner Volume,"Fast Burn" Combustion Chambers with 2.00" Lightweight Hollow Stem Intake Valves and 1.55" Sodium Filled Exhaust Valves. LT4 Corvette Valvesprings and lightweight retainers are used.This head has "D" shaped exhaust ports, and has Dual bolt pattern Intake manifold and valve cover configurations.

From Super Chevy:
"23-degree, aluminum Fast Burn head. Its 210cc intake runners and raised intake valves made it capable of supporting more than 500 hp. More than flow bench numbers, however, the Fast Burn head worked well on both street and competition engines. Fast Burn heads also serve as the focal point of GMPP's Fast Burn 385 crate engine--a 350-cube small-block that produces around 400 hp."

The LTI exhaust has 2 cats and a resonator kinda like a 3rd muffler that's what you see in the middle. When I go with long tubes I will cut the Cats out and weld them in just behind the headers I might even go with the Magnaflow 3" SS exhaust in the future it really depends on how well this performs.
I'm very exited about it.You definitely have more videos on the way.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:41 AM
TorchRedlt4man
Drifting

Location: Chicago Executive Airport, formerly known as Palwaukee
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I realize this is an older thread. When I read the word "easy" and "header" in the same sentence, I was really impressed!

Great looking and sounding exhaust!

Do you have any videos of the LT1 exhaust?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:51 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TorchRedlt4man
I realize this is an older thread. When I read the word "easy" and "header" in the same sentence, I was really impressed!

Great looking and sounding exhaust!

Do you have any videos of the LT1 exhaust?

After the LT1 exhaust I got to drive the car for one day when the cam lost some lobes. I will add videos of the LT1 exhaust but its going to be mated to an LSx, 98 corvette manifolds and cats.

Ck this out:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...x-my-swap.html
Old 11-04-2012, 06:22 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Thanks for the heads up..we have the same headers..feel a bit eaiser about doing the swap now.How much power do you think the car picked up with the headmans?

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 11-04-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:20 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
Thanks for the heads up..we have the same headers..feel a bit eaiser about doing the swap now.How much power do you think the car picked up with the headmans?
I couldnt tell you how much they did on their own because I did cam and intake before the headers. Shortly after I did heads and now I have a LSX, 98 corvette manifolds and 93 LT1 exhaust.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:19 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

I swapped out the stock LT1 exhaust with Magnaflow 3".

Old 09-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Dagge
Advanced

Curious to see the new result.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:45 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Time for a few changes. I bought some Melrose long tubes and the Magnadlow resonator had to go.It had a hole in it. I put the exhaust back on and got some measurements. Now it's off to my fab guy to get bungs and V-bands welded in place.

Last edited by ch@0s; 09-17-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:07 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

I had V-band clamps and 02 bungs welded onto the headers. I then put them on to get a mesurement and had my fabricator make me these connectors. It was the final peice to the puzzle. They will mate My headers to the Exhaust.

My exhaust is now all Stainless including the welds.

Melrose LS swap stainless Ceramic coated headers into Magnaflow stainless 3" duals with the Resonator deleted.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:57 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

In the past week I have had the Melrose headers on and off 3 times. I must say I'm disappointed in the fit. I had to grind the flange on both sides because it was up against the sensor on the head. On the passengers side I had to clearance the frame braces and a bolt on the inside of the frame. They also came with only one Exhaust bung and it was pointed straight at the trans so I had to have 2 tigg welded on. Not to big a deal but I did not expect that from $900 headers. The headers are on but I need to put My starter back on and button up the Exhaust.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:56 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Finished installing my Melrose LS Swap headers last night. I made a short video.

My exhaust now cosist of Melrose Headers SS Ceramic coated and Magnaflow 3" exhaust with the resonator deleted.

Here are the specs.

built/forged 347 iron block with 241 heads built by HKE in Houston TX.

MS3 cam
237/242, .603"/.609", 113 LSA

LS6 Intake Underdrive pulley and ported TB.

Wiring harness and PCM from a 99 Z28 tuned for the set up.

Put down 391 RWHP on the dyno before the headers.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:45 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

I have been running the exhaust for over a week now. It sounds great but does have drone now that I removed the center resonator and added the LT headers. Here are some pictures.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Pellno1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust comparison Flowmater, Magnaflow &Headman Elite (videos)

Old 12-05-2014, 10:49 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pellno1
Thanks guys
Jim
Anytime
Old 12-05-2014, 11:22 AM
rtmfamily
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, if you could summarize your exhaust trials, would you say that the least DRONE was had with the previous headers + center resonator + Magnaflow rear Y + Magnaflow mufflers??

I ask it this way, because I'm more keen on a good sounding rumble when you get on it and NO drone at usual cruising speeds/throttle.

I have a totally stock L98.

Thanks for the great chronicling of the process!
Old 12-05-2014, 11:34 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rtmfamily
So, if you could summarize your exhaust trials, would you say that the least DRONE was had with the previous headers + center resonator + Magnaflow rear Y + Magnaflow mufflers??

I ask it this way, because I'm more keen on a good sounding rumble when you get on it and NO drone at usual cruising speeds/throttle.

I have a totally stock L98.

Thanks for the great chronicling of the process!
The L98 exhaust/Headman headers with the L98 Magnaflow 2.5 had no drone whatsoever.

The Stock LT1 exhaust with the stock Lt1 manifolds had no drone either.

The Stock C5 manifolds with the 3" Magnaflow had so little drone it was not noticeable.

The Melrose headers and 3" Magnaflow with resonator removed does have resonance but it is not unbearable even on long trips. I would probably prefer to put the resonator back but it drags and I plan on dropping it with coil overs soon.

I hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Exhaust comparison Flowmater, Magnaflow &Headman Elite (videos)