C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Please help with a No Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:04 PM
jmeyer58
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Please help with a No Start Problem

Hi all, I have been searching the forum and unable to come up with an answer that relates to my problem. I have a '93 LT1 6 spd that sat all winter.

When I tried to jump it to get it out of the garage it would not start or crank.

My first thought is VATS but the security light was not lit -not flashing or lit up (clue 1).

Also, the speedo is not operational at all (clue 2). The tach and analog gauges all seem to work but the digital display portion is dead in the water.

I tried to jump the ALDL terminals to get into the diagnostics but nothing comes up on the display (clue 3).

I have checked all the fuses but I am wondering if I missed something. Has anyone experienced this and do you have a fix or something else I should check?
Thanks!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:10 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Low battery voltage will do strange things to a car.

Check/clean the battery terminal....charge the battery....load test the battery....replace the battery if it will not take a charge or fails a load test after fully charged. Most autoparts stores will charge and load test a battery free of cost.....if you remove it from the car and take it to the store.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:44 PM
jmeyer58
Racer

Originally Posted by engle1147
Low battery voltage will do strange things to a car.

Check/clean the battery terminal....charge the battery....load test the battery....replace the battery if it will not take a charge or fails a load test after fully charged. Most autoparts stores will charge and load test a battery free of cost.....if you remove it from the car and take it to the store.

Thanks for the quick reply, I forgot to put in the original message that the battery is back to normal voltage and the connections have been cleaned and tightened. I am getting nervous that I may need a CCM so I am looking for other posibilities.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:14 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Get into your FSM, and search out the various grounding points supporting the dash mounted electronics, CCM ect. One of these may have some corrosion that formed over the winter.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:21 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd load test the battery anyway.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:25 PM
86Pacecar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, a bad battery can still show normal voltage but fall flat when put under a load. This can also cause the car to not take a jump start.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:35 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

you bet...this should be the first step.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:39 PM
jmeyer58
Racer

Originally Posted by desertmike1

you bet...this should be the first step.
I have eliminated the battery because with the key on engine off the speedo is blank and the security light does not come on yet I have 12.5 volts at the battery and the other warning lights are working normally. The grounds are something I haven't checked yet so I think I'll go down that road next. Anything else I should for? Thanks again to everyone so far for their help.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:56 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Other then checking connections, I'm pretty much at a lost, I think your heading down a good path.

When you checked the fuse's, did you use a meter, or just a visual inspection. Also did you look closely at the "fuse" blade connections...both male and female (side) for possable corrosion.

If I had this problem I would Definitely verify both power, and ground circuits.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:11 PM
jmeyer58
Racer

Originally Posted by desertmike1
Other then checking connections, I'm pretty much at a lost, I think your heading down a good path.

When you checked the fuse's, did you use a meter, or just a visual inspection. Also did you look closely at the "fuse" blade connections...both male and female (side) for possable corrosion.

If I had this problem I would Definitely verify both power, and ground circuits.
The connectors are next after I check the grounds. I used a test light on the back of the fuses to check for power, all tested good. If it's not a ground issue, I'll have to pull the fuses one at a time and check for corrosion on the blades and in the slots (very time consuming and a pain in the ****) and check the connection at the CCM and I think I saw a connector in the wiring diagram between the cluster and the CCM that I'll have to check. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help with a No Start Problem

Quick Reply: Please help with a No Start Problem