C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Long crank/starting problems

Old 03-25-2010, 09:42 AM
C-4 owner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long crank/starting problems

I am having starting problems,not all the time,just seems like it won't start when cold or when I really need to get somewhere!You car hear the engine fire but it won't stay running.I have replaced all the standard tune up parts,cap, rotor,plugs,wires,IAC valve.I have done a fuel system check and installed a new filter and fuel pump relay and everything checks out ok.Last night leaving work it wouldn't start(took me 45 mins)but this morning it started right up.I have bypassed the starter enable relay for vats but could this be some sort of vats problem?
Old 03-25-2010, 09:50 AM
actionpaintball
Advanced

Did the fuel system check include watching the fuel pressure?

You would want to try and see what the engine is NOT getting when its not starting...I would start with an easy one-and check for spark. If you are not getting s strong spark-you know you have an ignition (distributor/coil ect...) problem. Since your engine does run eventually-it would be safe to assume its timed correctly and is getting the correct compression and air....so that pretty much boils it down to fuel and spark.

When its not starting-you could also give a small puff of starting fluid in the air cleaner-if it immediately starts-its more than likely a fuel delivery problem.

Will a VATS problem usually allow the engine to crank? I think the VATS errors usually prevent cranking altogether??
Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you bypass the enable relay after the problem started, or before ?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 AM
C-4 owner
Instructor

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
Did you bypass the enable relay after the problem started, or before ?
Before...............I had a problem with the starter not turning at all even though the lights in the dash were on.Now the car turns over and fires alot of the time but it won't stay running.It can take alot of crank time to get it to fire.After I get it started it runs good.

Get notified of new replies

To Long crank/starting problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long crank/starting problems