C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:45 AM
rkf1960
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo

I don't know anything about these Bose stereos. At times, the volume goes high then low, the bass goes away leaving a tinny sound. I took it to a local stereo shop and they said the amp in the stereo was going bad and that a new stereo would cure the problem. I'm curious about using an aftermarket stereo with the Bose speakers. Has anyone else had this stereo problem, or used an aftermarket with the Bose speakers? Thanks, Bob.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:48 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rkf1960
I don't know anything about these Bose stereos. At times, the volume goes high then low, the bass goes away leaving a tinny sound. I took it to a local stereo shop and they said the amp in the stereo was going bad and that a new stereo would cure the problem. I'm curious about using an aftermarket stereo with the Bose speakers. Has anyone else had this stereo problem, or used an aftermarket with the Bose speakers? Thanks, Bob.

You don't say what year car and your profile is not filled out but I'll try to help. Several Vette audio systems have a feature called SCV or Speed Compensated Volume, that could be one of your issues. See page 155 in this online PDF copy of the 1993 owners manual (courtesy of forum vendor GM Parts House) for a description.

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...93corvette.pdf

I would also suggest you contact Dr. Don using the link below, he is highly regarded and can likely suggest what else your stereo may need.

http://www.doctordons.com/
Old 04-02-2010, 11:59 AM
rkf1960
5th Gear

Thanks for the info. It actually happens to be a 93 LT1.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:25 PM
surfer92
Pro

Originally Posted by rkf1960
Thanks for the info. It actually happens to be a 93 LT1.
The amps are in each speaker enclosure, so you have 4. Go far away from that shop, they do not know anything.
On the volume ****, there is a second **** for engine/road noise, as the car speeds up, the volume gets louder.
When I first got my 93, I had the same trouble. I set mine on the middle dash and set my bass and tremble for that and it sounded pretty good.
Guessing you have Gold series, turn the stereo up and have someone cover each speaker with a box or something, that is how I found my bad amp.
Send it to doctordons.com, they do great work on Bose stuff.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:03 PM
snoopdan
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by surfer92
The amps are in each speaker enclosure, so you have 4. Go far away from that shop, they do not know anything.On the volume ****, there is a second **** for engine/road noise, as the car speeds up, the volume gets louder.
When I first got my 93, I had the same trouble. I set mine on the middle dash and set my bass and tremble for that and it sounded pretty good.
Guessing you have Gold series, turn the stereo up and have someone cover each speaker with a box or something, that is how I found my bad amp.
Send it to doctordons.com, they do great work on Bose stuff.
Actually, they're not incorrect. To fix the problem they would have to install a different stereo. What they didn't say was how much labor that would be, and that he would need to buy additional speakers to replace the originals due to the impedence load that they are (1 ohm). They would have to bypass the original amplifier wiring and wire direct to the spakers.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:29 PM
gevans
Advanced

I would call Dr Don's and speak with him - he is an expert on Bose stereos. He could probably fix it in a day - generally, will cost $150 for entire checkout and refurbishment - that's a heck of a lot cheaper than another stereo, speakers, and install...call Dr Don at 936-435-1811
Old 04-02-2010, 03:02 PM
surfer92
Pro

Originally Posted by snoopdan
Actually, they're not incorrect. To fix the problem they would have to install a different stereo. What they didn't say was how much labor that would be, and that he would need to buy additional speakers to replace the originals due to the impedence load that they are (1 ohm). They would have to bypass the original amplifier wiring and wire direct to the spakers.
There is no amp in the stereo, the amps are at the speakers, how can they be right?

If the amps were bad, replacing w/aftermarket HU and using stock speakers would result in same sound.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:05 PM
surfer92
Pro

Originally Posted by gevans
I would call Dr Don's and speak with him - he is an expert on Bose stereos. He could probably fix it in a day - generally, will cost $150 for entire checkout and refurbishment - that's a heck of a lot cheaper than another stereo, speakers, and install...call Dr Don at 936-435-1811
I believe the $150 is for refurbishing the HU only, problem could be in one of the speakers, amps or CDM.
If there is a problem, he needs to narrow it down and then have whats wrong fixed.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:14 PM
rkf1960
5th Gear

thanks alot you guys are a big help I will call dr dons
Old 04-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Clark Bente
Instructor

I called Dr. Don's too.
Once I got into it, and had bad head unit, remote amp, and 1 speaker with a blown amp. Game over.
New system more cost effective. Good luck.

Here I go again.

Get notified of new replies

To Stereo

Quick Reply: Stereo