C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

3 Years in the making - BBC C4 Project RESTARTED!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Fubar569
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 3 Years in the making - BBC C4 Project RESTARTED!

YES! that annoying kid that always claims to be putting in a BBC is back...

the car hasn't been touched in 3 years or so. whoops! my bad...got sidetracked with a couple skanks, a couple jobs, and a streetbike...enjoyed everything but the skanks of course...

now it's time to get back to what i USED to love to do...CORVETTE!

Today i finally dug the project out of the garage. It's in sorry shape compared to when i left it. I want to go back and finish weld some of the crossmember supports, tidy up wiring, etc...I need to take inventory of exactly what i need to do and where to go as i simply have no clue...

the entire interior is TRASHED...needs to be replaced...

The motor wasn't completely sealed off...exhaust wasn't capped, thermostat wasn't installed, hoses weren't in place...breather holes weren't taped...did have spark plugs in though and the carb opening was sealed though...so maybe i'll get lucky if i spray oil in the cylinders before i try turning it over...

Brakes are FROZE - this is gonna be fun to solve...

C-Beam Support is SOLID but looks like ***...i might take it back out and sandblast/paint...

I can't count all the other crap i've forgotten to do and all the crap that i have yet to find out that i need to do...but it felt good to finally lower the hood into place for the first time. The custom ignition box mount clears AND SO DOES THE GHETTO EBAY ALTERNATOR BRACKET! that means that likely the new brackets will clear as well!

Much more to come...this was/is my only day off this week for now so i wanted to at least get things dug out and get started...

know anyone that wants to buy a 2006 Suzuki Hayabusa for cheap? the sooner i can get rid of the bike the sooner i can get the car done...and i'll cut you a HELL of a deal!
Old 04-04-2010, 02:21 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well- it's good to hear that you're back and tackling the project.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:00 PM
esham
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Pics?
Old 04-04-2010, 03:08 PM
esham
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fubar569
..but it felt good to finally lower the hood into place for the first time.
Are you using the stock hood? Will it shut with the carb and air cleaner?
Old 04-04-2010, 03:25 PM
The Green Rocket
Drifting

Why don't you post some pics of the project as it sits. What is your horsepower goal? What are your overall plans: hardcore drag car, cruise night dandy, something less common?

Put the bike on craigslist

Thomas
Old 04-04-2010, 05:23 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Another Resurrection!
Old 04-04-2010, 05:36 PM
shamdave
Burning Brakes

well good luck I just finished mine and here are some things NOT to do
DO NOT
*sand it with 40 grit and a da
*Make your own no pop up headlights
*let a idiot with a 5th grade education Paint your car (or attempt to)
*let an even dumber idiot wire your car (almost burnt to the ground)
*close the garage door (that we forgot to clean) while the new paint is drying
*think that you can re-skin your own seats....
AND MOST OF ALL
Dont be the biggest idiot of all that allowed all this crap to be done to his own car!
Old 04-04-2010, 06:03 PM
The Green Rocket
Drifting

Wow Dave, it sounds like you got a real education in the process of doing your project.

Sometimes that is how we learn things...by learning what doesn't work. Hopefully Fubar's life experiences during his project car's slumber will give him a better perspective as he marches it towards completion. Also hopefully it will not take another three years and remain unfinished. The bigger hazard from a long term project where the owner/operator is learning how to do all the work - is that it will remain unfinished and then get sold as an uncompleted project.

So I really want to encourage him to get into it and start regularly posting pictures of progress and problems. Its kinda fun when a forum member takes on a project that we can all pitch in with advice. Fortunately the whole big block into a C4 has been done enough times that the problem areas are well known: cut back heater box, move steering rack forward, accessory drive placement, etc. Not to say that Fubar won't come up with some of his own unique solutions.

Thomas
Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

I want a bike, but can't have both.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:31 PM
LD85
Race Director

I want to do a BBC swap really bad, but my short term sights are set on a 1965 GTO frame off with a DFI twist ...

then maybe, if my wife lets me back in the house, a C4 , BBC pro street

fubar,,, go man go!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Fubar569
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The Green Rocket
Why don't you post some pics of the project as it sits. What is your horsepower goal? What are your overall plans: hardcore drag car, cruise night dandy, something less common?

Put the bike on craigslist

Thomas
LD85 has a full zip file of my pics to this point...which are lacking to say the least but show many of the required mods...i also now have that zipfile back (thanks to him! ) so i can send it out as people request - If I can find my login information for my webhosting site...i will host it and post the link for download for everyone...

Horsepower Goal? i'd say i'd be satisfied with 600chp N/A and looking for 800 on spray...my father has long rumored it to be around 600hp and it ws built by a local race engine builder originally back in about 1969/1970 timeframe...

These are the details i know:

12.5:1 compression. Dome is around 1/2" taller than block deck - pistons are zeroed in the hole. Entire rotating assembly balanced out to 1/10th of a gram and all weigh the same
Heads are stamped 'HI PERF' - i ran the numbers - closed chamber 2.19/1.88 valves - they have been HEAVILY worked by the builder - the gaskets/ports were huge. something like 2.5" or larger tall...
Cam: is likely either L-88 or ZL-1/LS-7 cam...meaning neighborhood of .560/.600 lift & 326/334 adv. duration i believe...

what i have/plan to use with it:

Weiand Team G intake - to match to heads in some areas i had to remove 1/4" of material from the intake ports.
MSD 6AL Box
Blaster II Coil
MSD Billet Distributor
Mighty Demon 850
Sanderson 1 7/8 to 3" Block Hugger Headers - i want long tubes...i was quoted 3k for a custom set - no thanks! i'll learn to make my own...

GOALS:

Shut up a prominent local douchebag that seems to think that by slaming a "383 stroker" into a B Body lead sled he owns the road/track...

and the most important one:

Being able to see my dad's face as his motor lives once again...It was originally in a 66 Chevelle SS which originally was a 396/4spd car. I have several witnesses willing to testify that it was indeed the fastest car in town PERIOD during that timeframe. Not a bike or car could touch it...he sold the car () but did save the motor hoping i'd do something with it someday...well...here i am...

Last edited by Fubar569; 04-04-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Fubar569
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by esham
Are you using the stock hood? Will it shut with the carb and air cleaner?
i simply put it in place to measure accessory bracket clearances and clearance for my custom Ignition box mount...there is ZERO chance of anything fitting under the stock hood with that intake. I'll be requiring a 4" cowl and that might be cutting it a little close...
Old 04-04-2010, 08:22 PM
The Green Rocket
Drifting

Okay, you have picked your path - now go to it.

I look forward to seeing the pics and whatever questions you may have. The general engine that you have is certainly capable of 600 chp - there is something magical about a solid lifter BBC beyond 7,200 rpm... Just make sure to have a good supply of C12 fuel because 93 octane will detonate in an iron head 12.5:1 BBC. Your planned headers will not properly support exhaust flow if you spin it into the middle 7,000 rpm range like I expect it will do. An 850 carb will probably work okay - but I think you will be leaving some real power on the table at 7k+ rpm. Maybe something like http://www.holley.com/0-80676.asp

I've played with big blocks and I like them a lot. I have two BBC's: one is a 496 pump gas 681 chp street beast, the other is a D2-R ProCharged 468...made 953 chp at 5,600 rpm. I kinda feel that ~ 1,000 chp is the safe reliable limit of a regular factory block.

Make sure that you NEVER put any modern formula engine oil in that engine - it will destroy that cam and lifters in short order. Get genuine (and now not street legal) racing oil or one of the others with the proper zddp etc.

Thomas
Old 04-04-2010, 08:45 PM
LD85
Race Director

I wish I lived closer, I wold love to help dive into this project,, good luck
Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Fubar569
Burning Brakes

Okay, you have picked your path - now go to it.

I look forward to seeing the pics and whatever questions you may have. The general engine that you have is certainly capable of 600 chp - there is something magical about a solid lifter BBC beyond 7,200 rpm... Just make sure to have a good supply of C12 fuel because 93 octane will detonate in an iron head 12.5:1 BBC. Your planned headers will not properly support exhaust flow if you spin it into the middle 7,000 rpm range like I expect it will do. An 850 carb will probably work okay - but I think you will be leaving some real power on the table at 7k+ rpm. Maybe something like http://www.holley.com/0-80676.asp

I've played with big blocks and I like them a lot. I have two BBC's: one is a 496 pump gas 681 chp street beast, the other is a D2-R ProCharged 468...made 953 chp at 5,600 rpm. I kinda feel that ~ 1,000 chp is the safe reliable limit of a regular factory block.

Make sure that you NEVER put any modern formula engine oil in that engine - it will destroy that cam and lifters in short order. Get genuine (and now not street legal) racing oil or one of the others with the proper zddp etc.

Thomas
I use the ZDDP oils in my 97 cadillac as the northstar of that vintage does NOT have roller followers...I've already prepped for that scenario via my DD...

A friend on The Corral suggested having the Demon 850 worked out to about 930 as he knows a shop that does such work and apparently is very good. That recommendation falls right in line with your 950 suggestion. I'm sure either way i go it would work out...

Those heads actually still have the valve seats for use with leaded gasoline too. the last time this mtor was together and running you could get 110+ at the pump so it wasn't an issue. I planned on some sort of leaded additive and other boosters if i cannot locate any suitable supply of leaded race fuel. The car will have a current inspection when done and is registered as a classic so it is emissions exempt in my state. Although it is capable of street duty the actual street miles will be very few and far between til i end up in an aluminum headed motor with slightly lower compression...I just wanted to build it as my dad had it running plus a couple enhancements to bring it into the modern age such as a proper ignition and intake...

the headers are more or less a band-aid as i had zero idea what options would fit. I plan on test fitting soem other headers as soon as time permits after the project is road worthy. I could always see if 2" huggers would clear...i just don't have the money nor the time to begin constructiong my own long tubes...

Last edited by Fubar569; 04-05-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:35 AM
The Green Rocket
Drifting

Good long tube headers of the right size are a must for your engine. The smallish short tube block huggers will probably cut close to 50 hp off the top end of your engine. If you had the flow chart from those reworked factory head castings you will find they are less efficient on the exhaust side compared with more modern designs - which is one of several reasons why you need well designed long tube headers to help it breath. Packaging issues for BBC exhaust in a C4 is a problem. Several of the BBC C4 conversions used factory cast iron manifolds - which can be a 70 hp cut on a hot high winding BBC.

Thomas
Old 04-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Fubar569
Burning Brakes

Good long tube headers of the right size are a must for your engine. The smallish short tube block huggers will probably cut close to 50 hp off the top end of your engine. If you had the flow chart from those reworked factory head castings you will find they are less efficient on the exhaust side compared with more modern designs - which is one of several reasons why you need well designed long tube headers to help it breath. Packaging issues for BBC exhaust in a C4 is a problem. Several of the BBC C4 conversions used factory cast iron manifolds - which can be a 70 hp cut on a hot high winding BBC.

Thomas
I'm thinking once it's mobile i can always backtrack to improve things...the exhaust is one area i plan to modify extensively

Get notified of new replies

To 3 Years in the making - BBC C4 Project RESTARTED!

Quick Reply: 3 Years in the making - BBC C4 Project RESTARTED!