C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 Charging Problem - Looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 06:47 PM
edbradley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 87 Charging Problem - Looking for suggestions

I am looking for any suggestions in helping me diagnose an electrical problem.

I have an '87 convertible with 106,000 miles in very good condition (no modifications - completely stock). 3years ago, I bought it from my buddy and drove it 800 miles home with no problems (everything worked fine - lights, AC, Bose, etc.). It has sat in storage for 3 years until last week when I charged up the battery and started driving it.

Everything worked fine until a 125 mile road trip this past weekend. Unfortunately, I never looked at the voltage gage during the trip. As it turns out, the battery was dying and/or the alternator was not charging it. No surprise about a battery that has been sitting for 3 years. The first weird electrical problem was when driving in an area that required headlights on during the day. I was getting the headlights-on-chime while driving. Then the electronic climate control system (C68) went dead. Then the radio would do on, but not the speakers. Needless to say, when I turned the engine off at the gas station after driving about 100 miles, it would not start (dead battery). I got a jump start and watched the voltage gage which was at 11 volts and dropping. I stopped at an auto parts store and switched the engine off. The parts store had a battery, but no alternator. I called AAA and they sent out their battery service guy. He did a diagnostic check and said the battery was bad. He replaced the battery with a new one, and then did the check again. He said the alternator was bad. At that point he removed the new battery (no charge) and called the AAA flat bed to tow me home the 125 miles (thank goodness for AAA Premium).

At home I put in a new (charged) DieHard battery, and a rebuilt alternator from NAPA. Started up the car and the voltage on the dash gage shows 12 volts and drops to 11 + volts. Obviously something is wrong.

I do have an FSM for my car. Just not sure where to start checking. I have checked all the fuses and circuit breakers on the fuse panel, but haven't checked anything else except the obvious battery cables under the hood.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ed

Quick Reply: 87 Charging Problem - Looking for suggestions