C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 PM
VA50th
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 96 Door Locks

The driver side auto door doesn't work when using the the botton on the key or as you sit in the car and press the auto button on the driver door. The passenger door operates fine.

I can hear what sounds like a motor sound when trying to lock/unlock the door but it won't lock.

Does this sound like either the lock needs lubricant or the actuator needs replacing?

How does a rookie get the door panel off so I can investigate?

My car is a 96 Coupe LT1/auto
Old 04-25-2010, 09:19 PM
xole
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be that the power actuator slipped off the door lock rod. You have to remove the door panel. You might also have to remove the metal plate as well, the actuator is actually attached to it. The actuator is on the back of the metal plate that connects to the door by the door stricker. You might be able to see if it is still attached without removing the plate. The door lock bar kind of just press fits into the actuator.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:09 PM
VA50th
Pro

Originally Posted by xole
It could be that the power actuator slipped off the door lock rod. You have to remove the door panel. You might also have to remove the metal plate as well, the actuator is actually attached to it. The actuator is on the back of the metal plate that connects to the door by the door stricker. You might be able to see if it is still attached without removing the plate. The door lock bar kind of just press fits into the actuator.
...well you were right. My brother is here visting from the west coast and we decided to open up the door panel. Once we got to where we could see what was going on, it was clear that the actuator rod had come away from it's holder or place clamp. We were able to push it back in. Once the door was back together ,the hard part was getting the manual door lock button to fit back into the door insert, things tested good. I was able to do the PKE thing, walking away, door locks, then coming back to the car with NO FOB, was unable to open door. Before it would not auto lock.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:17 PM
VA50th
Pro

follow up...the door locks (PKE) are still working. I'm still having a problem with the driver door panel fitting properly. Alfter re-installing eveything, ther is still a small gap most noticable near the door handle edge and up to the the window. If I push it in place it looks fine, but when I close the door (hard - normal), it pops back out. Any ideas?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:42 PM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VA50th
follow up...the door locks (PKE) are still working. I'm still having a problem with the driver door panel fitting properly. Alfter re-installing eveything, ther is still a small gap most noticable near the door handle edge and up to the the window. If I push it in place it looks fine, but when I close the door (hard - normal), it pops back out. Any ideas?
Sounds like the door panel "webbing" at the back of the door panel towards the top is separating.You can get some good glue & glue webbing back together or replace the door panel at $500 for a new oneBoth my door panels did the same thing & I brought it to a car interior shop & they fixed it,but not perfectly.I looked into buying new door panels but at $500 each one is hard to do when laid off
Old 05-08-2010, 01:48 AM
M. Schumacher
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...indow-fix.html

Get notified of new replies

To 96 Door Locks

Quick Reply: 96 Door Locks