C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT1 Idle is too high...1993

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 04:21 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by Weav's Vet
Yep, it has several different test that can be run. Of course a Tech II is the way to go but way to pricey for me.
Sweet. I cant afford to pay attention right now. I am asking a freind here if he has a spare IAC he can loan me to swap. Otherwise I will just keep troubleshooting.
I took the air cleaner assmbley off and put my hand over the IAC port while running at the rpms came down and engine ran good, so I am pretty positive it is bad, knock on wood.
I also need to verify power to the IAC.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:42 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep at it.........

I doubt this is your problem but TPIS makes a IAC housing I'm going to try. Mine looks a little worn in the seat. Also, theirs doesn't have all the cooling veins in it like the OE one either. Good luck!
Old 05-01-2010, 04:49 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by Weav's Vet
Keep at it.........

I doubt this is your problem but TPIS makes a IAC housing I'm going to try. Mine looks a little worn in the seat. Also, theirs doesn't have all the cooling veins in it like the OE one either. Good luck!
I have a AS&M one and the housing is nice and clean and smooth.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:47 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
Okay, to make a long story short. No vacuum leaks, no DTC's, heated O2's with long tubes. Engine ran sweet about three weeks ago. Came back from TAD, now it wont idle below 1400 rpm. Turn AC on it goes down. O2's are working fine using my scan tool.
I sprayed bubbly water over all hoses etc and nothing changed. No exhaust leaks. Cleaned the living heck out of the throttle body and IAC housing.
IAC is very clean, and I didnt clean it as it is a couple years old.
I checked the pins for resistance and the IAC is within specs. I also connected it and put it in a bag and turned the key on, NOTHINg, it didnt move at all. So, being a 93, I pulled the spring down and turned the IAC out and in for several test to see if it would move. Nothing.
I then put it back in the throttle body at 1", 1 1/8", and 1 3/16 " without the connector and the idle changed, got higher as I went shorter and at 1 3/16 it was at 1100. (My engine chip is set for 850, and I also tried three different older tunes that worked prior to all this and the idle never changed).
So, I reconnected IAC connector, started it up and no change, turned ac on and it brought it down 200rpm.
Took it out and it didnt change length.
Should it change length when it was out and connected and I turn the key on? Should it have changed length within the engine when running and ac turned on?
Can an IAC be bad, yet show its resistance reading being good?
My IAC moves when the key is turned on....
Old 05-01-2010, 01:48 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I ordered a new one. I really believe these things need to be driven or they just go bad.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:17 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

I ordered a new one. I really believe these things need to be driven or they just go bad.
Is the IAC getting a signal? I bought an American made IAC at AUTOZONE last week, they actually had it on the shelf. My car was running sweet and idling like normal (IAC actually moved) however, it would not idle with the AC running ....after cleaning TB and IAC ports I gave up and bought new IAC now it will idle in gear with the AC running (again).

You may be right about the usage deal I haven't used the AC since last summer.

Good luck Brother .....I believe a little holy water is in order for your car....it may knock some of demons out of your ride.

Mike
Old 05-01-2010, 04:24 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by aboatguy
Is the IAC getting a signal? I bought an American made IAC at AUTOZONE last week, they actually had it on the shelf. My car was running sweet and idling like normal (IAC actually moved) however, it would not idle with the AC running ....after cleaning TB and IAC ports I gave up and bought new IAC now it will idle in gear with the AC running (again).

You may be right about the usage deal I haven't used the AC since last summer.

Good luck Brother .....I believe a little holy water is in order for your car....it may knock some of demons out of your ride.

Mike
Hey Mike, the one that is in there is a cheapo one from Checkers. It was able to idle in gear with AC.
Now with it idleing at 1400 it only bring down the rpms 200 when ac is on. But, I have it programmed to go up 50 rpms with ac on. So, it isnt doing anything IMHO.
I am wondering how I do tell the IAC is getting a signal. I know its a pulsed signal, but no one has ever wrote about that.
I need more than Holy Water, I need the man himself to come here and bless it!
I did order an AC Delco, should be here in a few days.
I cant get them for less than a 100 bucks here on island. Got it cheaper with shipping off island. Crazy Hawaii tax.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:26 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Hey Mike, the one that is in there is a cheapo one from Checkers. It was able to idle in gear with AC.
Now with it idleing at 1400 it only bring down the rpms 200 when ac is on. But, I have it programmed to go up 50 rpms with ac on. So, it isnt doing anything IMHO.
I am wondering how I do tell the IAC is getting a signal. I know its a pulsed signal, but no one has ever wrote about that.
I need more than Holy Water, I need the man himself to come here and bless it!
I did order an AC Delco, should be here in a few days.
I cant get them for less than a 100 bucks here on island. Got it cheaper with shipping off island. Crazy Hawaii tax.
I know all about the Oahu tax......
(I attended Aikahi Elementary, Kailua Intermediate and Kalaheo High) However, I'd try the holy water and I used to get my bike blessed, you probably should try for a Corvette blessing if the holy water doesn't work.

Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 05-01-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:35 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

10 years of that tax here. Oh well, to live in Paradise.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:38 PM
vettef6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, I encountered the same problems you are seeing with your idle. I swapped a few parts over the winter on my engine a few years back and so the engine hadn't been running for about 4 months. It just wouldn't idle correctly. When I turned the AC on it would die on me. I reset the IAC so many times, the resistance was also good but only a new IAC brought my idle back to where it should be.

Swap your IAC and you'll be good.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:57 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

When I get the new one, and if it fixes it I will take the old one apart to see how fragile these are. I bet the heat and carbon are brutal on these plastic gears.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:09 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Put new IAC in, all is well. I hate IACS, what a little PITA.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:27 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Put new IAC in, all is well. I hate IACS, what a little PITA.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 05-08-2010, 09:18 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

At least it was a simple and relatively inexpensive fix..

Mike
Old 05-08-2010, 10:30 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

This car has made me uber technician, along with blood pressure increase, till I drive it
Old 07-19-2010, 04:49 PM
screamin_conure
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by surfer92
IAC pintle needs to be under 1 1/8" and check for a leak at the MAP sensor. I had one there once, drove me crazy trying to find that one.
Check for a leak at the power booster, I have a leak there now.

FSM says to check:
PCV operation
IAC
MAP
EGR
Check A/C operation, if ECM thinks A/C is on, it will raise the idle.
Crankcase ventilation, i.e. tube running from pass. side valve cover to TB
PNP switch circuit, Park/neutral switch.
AIR system
Altenator putting out > 16v or < 9v
EVAP system - see my post about this
O2's
leaking FI
fuel in FPR
Leaking exhaust manifold

This should keep you busy for a while!!

Hey Surfer92, how in the world did you manage to hunt down a vacuum leak at your MAP sensor?!! I would think that would be almost impossible to find.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:01 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by screamin_conure
Hey Surfer92, how in the world did you manage to hunt down a vacuum leak at your MAP sensor?!! I would think that would be almost impossible to find.
Good question. Answer could come in handy some day.

Jake
Old 05-01-2019, 09:45 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by sl21
I had this problem after I installed new wires. I was searching everywhere to figure out how to fix the idle with all kinds of complex fixes and computer programs. Then I looked and saw that one of the throttle body pigtail wires had been broken somewhere along the line. That was easy.
Same here. Spent a while trying to find it. bad wires. the OE wires get all corroded and often break around the throttle body. IAC stepper, TPS, and the wires to the coil and ICM are all suspect.

-- Joe

Quick Reply: LT1 Idle is too high...1993