C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replacing power steering pressure hose

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:23 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Replacing power steering pressure hose

Any tips on replacing a power steering pressure hose on an 89? I see mine is leaking where the hose gets crimped on both ends.

I got a new one from Autozone. But noticed some of the threads have nicks and some flattened a little. I'm gonna return it to get another one.

It looks like I need to pull the alternator and power steering pump pulley.

Soak the Orings in power steering fluid and install on the line.

It comes with a plug, but I don't know what that is for. Can you get the old line off and new line on with a flare wrench? Or do you need a flare crows foot? I can get a regular 16mm and 18mm flare wrench at the parts store.

The only thing I'm worried about is getting it too tight. Or tearing something up trying to get the old line off if the fittings are stuck.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:13 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

they are a little tight if they are original. try a metric flare wrench first. then use a regular wrench. crows foot in a tight fitting almost always guarantees a stripped nut. use the crows foot if you have no other option
Old 05-04-2010, 02:58 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
they are a little tight if they are original. try a metric flare wrench first. then use a regular wrench. crows foot in a tight fitting almost always guarantees a stripped nut. use the crows foot if you have no other option
I know I need a 16mm and 18mm. Autozone so happens to have a flare wrench one end 16mm the other end 18mm. Though, I'd have no way to torque it.

When you say a crows foot could cause a stripped nut. How is that? They do make flare crowsfoot.

I read somewhere about putting penetrating oil on the threads. I guess I may could do that, but would just hope it doesn't get in the power steering fluid. I just changed fluid not too long ago, so I just plan on bleeding the system afterwards. Just afraid of forgetting something, or cracking something. I think the line at the pump shouldn't be too hard once I get the pulley out of the way.

I know you put a coating of fresh PS fluid on the Orings. But I read somewhere you should also put it on the threads as well at the end of the hose?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:43 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
Any tips on replacing a power steering pressure hose on an 89? I see mine is leaking where the hose gets crimped on both ends.

I got a new one from Autozone. But noticed some of the threads have nicks and some flattened a little. I'm gonna return it to get another one.

It looks like I need to pull the alternator and power steering pump pulley.

Soak the Orings in power steering fluid and install on the line.

It comes with a plug, but I don't know what that is for. Can you get the old line off and new line on with a flare wrench? Or do you need a flare crows foot? I can get a regular 16mm and 18mm flare wrench at the parts store.

The only thing I'm worried about is getting it too tight. Or tearing something up trying to get the old line off if the fittings are stuck.
I take off the alternator off and pump with bracket to change lines. On mine the is easier to get at the bottom hose on the pump that way. Not sure about any additional plug, you will be just re installing as it looks originally. No fluid on threads just on the O ring. Crows feet can also be purchased as line wrenches but I prefer a wrench version. On those type of fittings (stock fuel lines , power steering, and brake lines) always use a line wrench NEVER any other type or you may possibly round off the nut/fastener. The threads on those are similar to a pipe style thread, I just tighten them done until it feels tight...just not gorilla tight.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:25 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mseven
I take off the alternator off and pump with bracket to change lines. On mine the is easier to get at the bottom hose on the pump that way. Not sure about any additional plug, you will be just re installing as it looks originally. No fluid on threads just on the O ring. Crows feet can also be purchased as line wrenches but I prefer a wrench version. On those type of fittings (stock fuel lines , power steering, and brake lines) always use a line wrench NEVER any other type or you may possibly round off the nut/fastener. The threads on those are similar to a pipe style thread, I just tighten them done until it feels tight...just not gorilla tight.
I appreciate it. That saves me money as to get a Crowsfeet, means ordering something off the net. Autozone has a line wrench one end 16mm other end 18mm. Which is what I need.

I think I'll first start by pulling the alternator and probably the smog/bracket and steering pulley. And try that.

How much fluid will dump from the steering pump? On my 89, the reservoir sits in front of the radiator.

Oh, and I think that plug is for you to plug a hole while you change the line.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:02 PM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Josh when do you sleep ?
Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no problem,
mine has a cooler so I disconnected the hose from the cooler/reservoir and let it dump into a pan if front of the crossmember. It's been a while since I did mine but I don't remember it being that much 1-2 pints maybe. Capping lines when moving the pump is a good idea, but you'll get some fluid from the pump/lines. Put down some rags after draining what you can and it should be fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing power steering pressure hose

Quick Reply: Replacing power steering pressure hose