C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:17 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Brake calipers

Does anyone have the torque specs for the front and rear calipers on an 89 with JL9?

I plan on replacing the brake pads and resurfacing/replacing the rotors on the front and rear. The pads will be Wearever Gold. I say they are better then what the OP put on as I can see the pads have been eating the rotors. So, the rotors are probably too far gone to resurface.

Also, I've read you should "Clean the axle flange and use some steel wool or emery cloth to smooth the surface so that the rotor hub fits evenly."

Any pics of what is being cleaned?

I plan on replacing the front guide pins with a set from Napa. Do the guide pins get grease?

Do you need to replace anything on the rears?

I think I've got the general idea. I believe you need to use blue loctite on the two caliper mounting bolts and the bolts holding the caliper on.

And which way do the squeel tabs go for the front and rear? On the top or bottom? I believe on my Firebird, on the front those were pointing at the ground.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:48 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

PM sent
Old 05-06-2010, 01:09 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
PM sent
Thanks man.

When I have the rotors off. I plan on cleaning the hub. And check the hub out. It is alot easier pulling rotors off the Vette compared to the Firebird that has a dust cover nut and bearings to deal with.

If I have to replace the rotors. I'm probably gonna order some Wagner rotors from Rockauto.com I can get the fronts shipped for $80. Which is cheaper than the auto parts stores.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:15 PM
impact1968
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Your price shopping, Napa auto parts has some fronts for $33.69 each. They have a 1 year warranty.

Part # nb4885997

Get notified of new replies

To Brake calipers

Quick Reply: Brake calipers