C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

GM OEM or aftermarket windshield molding and seal.. Can you tell the difference?

Old 03-17-2002, 10:55 PM
ConeKLR
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default GM OEM or aftermarket windshield molding and seal.. Can you tell the difference?

Just had my windshield replaced a few weeks ago. Seems like it's leaking some around the rubber seal on drivers side glass door. Also there is a big gap at passenger upper corner area between the black molding and the rubber seal. It's a good 1/4 at least. Also the windshield rubber seal is not cemented in. It can actually be pulled off starting at lower pillar area once the screw is removed. Is little loose. Is it suppose to be glued in or have sealant applied to the back of it?
Is there anyway of telling whether an aftermarket seal/molding kit was installed?

The shop said they installed a OEM. But when I question them what the package looked like they kinda gave me funky answer. Like " Well the package did not say GM, had some other name on it. But it's suppose to be OEM as far I as know".
Also I can't get the glass top to fully seal where it meets the windshield. Can't get the top to compress the rubber lip on the new seal. The new seal has a lip to it across the top of the windshield. He said the old one did not have that because it has been flatten over the years. Makes sense but how do I get it to seal properly?

[Modified by ConeKLR, 9:57 PM 3/17/2002]

[Modified by ConeKLR, 1:28 PM 3/20/2002]
Old 03-18-2002, 04:55 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Default Re: GM OEM or aftermarket windshield molding and seal.. Can you tell the difference? (ConeKLR)

Bring it back and get it done right.When you have work done on your car it should look like nothing was done when it is finished.If it didn't leak when it was new then it shouln't leak now.It sounds like they did a half butt job.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:07 AM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Default Re: GM OEM or aftermarket windshield molding and seal.. Can you tell the difference? (540 vette)

I may be talking out of my **** here because I'm not familiar with corvette windshields specifically, but with most cars, the molding has nothing to do with the actual sealing. The glass should seal to the car with the proper urethane glue. The molding on most cars is purely cosmetic. If it's leaking, then it wasn't properly urethaned into the car, and since the glass serves a major function in the structural rigidity of the car, it's quite important that it's done properly.
Old 03-18-2002, 01:25 PM
ConeKLR
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: GM OEM or aftermarket windshield molding and seal.. Can you tell the difference? (ConeKLR)

I neeed to clarify this a little. There is no water getting past the windshield edges and dripping in. The leaks are around the actual rubber seal and side glass and moisture on the driver side glass on the inside next to the side view mirror. I also see moisture between the windshield and black molding in some spots along the edge. Sure lots of vettes leak. But this was not leaking in the places it leaking now. Like i said the seal seems like kit a little loose. I'd like to verify whether they installed an OEM seal ro not.

[Modified by ConeKLR, 12:25 PM 3/18/2002]

[Modified by ConeKLR, 12:34 PM 3/18/2002]
Old 03-20-2002, 02:29 PM
ConeKLR
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

TTT :crazy:
Old 03-21-2002, 02:30 PM
ConeKLR
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To GM OEM or aftermarket windshield molding and seal.. Can you tell the difference?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM OEM or aftermarket windshield molding and seal.. Can you tell the difference?