C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

"92 Fuel pressure regulator

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:30 PM
C4Mark58
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "92 Fuel pressure regulator

If I pull the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator and inside the hose it smells like gas does that mean the diaphragm is bad ? Car starts then dies, stays running, poorly, if I keep pumping the peddle.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:55 PM
pletzvet
Pro

Generally speaking, you can test for a leaking FPR diaphram by applying vacuum to the vacuum port on the FPR. If it holds vacuum, your diaphram is not leaking. Regarding the smell of fuel...a lot of vacuum lines on your engine might *smell like fuel* but the best diagnosis is the presence of fuel. If your FPR diaphram has failed (i.e. is leaking) there should be a presence of fuel in your line.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:09 PM
surfer93
Pro

Originally Posted by C4Mark58
If I pull the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator and inside the hose it smells like gas does that mean the diaphragm is bad ? Car starts then dies, stays running, poorly, if I keep pumping the peddle.
Yes, it is bad, but it sounds like you have other issues.

What year and any other symtoms?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:27 PM
C4Mark58
Intermediate

Its a 92 LT1. Auto. Its been down for a few months, had the CCM rebuilt but still having issues with that. It's not grounding the Starter enable relay so I bypass it to get it to start. It's going back next week. Haven't done a pressure check yet, I'm trying to find a loaner gauge before I have to buy one. The pump isn't that old, maybe a year old.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:44 PM
surfer93
Pro

You mean the ECM rebuilt?
If the starter is not getting power, it is most likely not the ECM.
Could be VATS or the starter relay or something else.
Do not bypass the relay to start the car, on a regular basis, not good on the system.
Do you have a spare key, to check for a bad pellet in the key?
Also, if the VATS system disables the starter relay, you have to wait 5 minutes, before trying to start again.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:20 PM
C4Mark58
Intermediate

I'm beginning to believe i got a bad ECM, bad rebuild, sending it back.
The ignition switch and key are all new, no prob there. Hooked up a noid light to the injectors, they only fire when I pump the throttle, ...??? Got a recommendation for another ECM rebuilder? Checked the Fuel pressure...pressures up to about 44 and holds after the ignition has been turned off.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:49 PM
pletzvet
Pro

Checked the Fuel pressure...pressures up to about 44 and holds after the ignition has been turned off.
Contrary to what you were advised by an earlier responder - you have pretty much confirmed that your FPR is functioning fine, and you have eliminated any problems with your fuel pump.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:17 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hooked up a noid light to the injectors, they only fire when I pump the throttle, ...??? .

That is the opposite of what is supposed to happen
If the ECM sees TPS volts above a certain % ( throttle open ) while cranking ,it cuts off the injectors because it thinks you are trying to clear a flooded engine
Old 05-20-2010, 12:20 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer93
Do not bypass the relay to start the car, on a regular basis, not good on the system.
Why?
Is only a relay to disable the starter circuit ; not a relay supplying power direct to the starter solenoid to prevent voltage drop as used on some other cars
Power through starter enable relay still goes all the way from battery to the ign switch and back to starter solenoid ;regardless of whether relay bypassed or not

Last edited by vetteoz; 05-20-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:12 PM
surfer93
Pro

For one, it says it in my FSM.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:34 PM
C4Mark58
Intermediate

Well, unless anybody has any immediate ideas I'm going to send the ECM back for another look. Has anybody used SIA Electronics? Thats who did the rebuild, not happy!! If there is a recommendation for another rebuilder please let me know.

Get notified of new replies

To "92 Fuel pressure regulator

Quick Reply: "92 Fuel pressure regulator