C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Alternator is good but not charging battery

Old 09-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Erniep
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alternator is good but not charging battery

The battery light came on when I was driving to get the car inspected. I got to the shop, he inspected the car and told me the alternator was bad. So I put a rebuilt one on today from NAPA. The battery is still not charging. Before I go crazy looking for the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a 94 Vette. Thanks
Old 09-09-2015, 04:31 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

May help (?): http://www.aa1car.com/library/charging_checks.htm
Old 09-09-2015, 04:38 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Have the battery tested might have a dead cell or just low on fluid
Old 09-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Erniep
Racer

Originally Posted by seabright
Thanks.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:40 PM
Erniep
Racer

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Have the battery tested might have a dead cell or just low on fluid
It's a pretty new battery. But I'll check it.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:49 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by Erniep
It's a pretty new battery. But I'll check it.
Could just be a loose or dirty connection too.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:52 PM
1994DelawareCoup
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The battery light came on when I was driving to get the car inspected. I got to the shop, he inspected the car and told me the alternator was bad. So I put a rebuilt one on today from NAPA. The battery is still not charging. Before I go crazy looking for the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a 94 Vette. Thanks
check the fusible link. it's an orange wire going to the fuse box on the fire wall behind the battery coming out of the wire harness from the alternator. You may have to open the harness a little to see if it burned threw. It's just a piece of higher gauge wire designed to melt before the wire harness does. Mine went and I only discovered it after new battery and alternator. My theory is the volt regulator went in the alternator sending a surge that melted the link
Old 09-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Erniep
Racer

Originally Posted by 1994DelawareCoup
check the fusible link. it's an orange wire going to the fuse box on the fire wall behind the battery coming out of the wire harness from the alternator. You may have to open the harness a little to see if it burned threw. It's just a piece of higher gauge wire designed to melt before the wire harness does. Mine went and I only discovered it after new battery and alternator. My theory is the volt regulator went in the alternator sending a surge that melted the link
Thanks, I'll check that tomorrow. I'm charging the battery right now.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Erniep
Racer

Could just be a loose or dirty connection too.
I checked the battery cables. I'll have to get under the car tomorrow to check the rest. Thanks
Old 09-09-2015, 06:54 PM
Erniep
Racer

Originally Posted by 1994DelawareCoup
Hey, just checked the fusible link wire. It was all burnt up. Thanks. Do you know what gauge wire that is ?
Old 09-09-2015, 07:15 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Hey, just checked the fusible link wire. It was all burnt up. Thanks. Do you know what gauge wire that is ?
There's a pair of FL from the alternator. If the FL that's burnt is from the large M8 charge wire it's M3 or a 12G is considered a good substitute. FL needs to be a specific length (generally 6 - 9") long, an auto parts store should have a 12G with the ring terminal already crimped. 12G very popular for most FOMOCO applications. Try NAPA or a "first line" AP, some chain AP may be able to help.

If by chance it's the smaller gauge "red" wire then the FL would be M3 or 16G.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-09-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:16 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Great cheap easy fix you were over due. cut it out and take to nàpa they will fix you up.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:23 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Umm....is anyone else wondering why the fusible link did its job? Those don't just fry up for no reason. Did the old alternator have a "short to ground" that caused that link to blow or is there another issue?
Old 09-09-2015, 07:47 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
Umm....is anyone else wondering why the fusible link did its job? Those don't just fry up for no reason. Did the old alternator have a "short to ground" that caused that link to blow or is there another issue?
NOPE - The OP was told the alternator was bad and never mentioned if the shop told him what was wrong or did anything other than mention "not charging". OP apparently bought an "over the counter" and did the install him self. Either the OP created his situation OR the failure is from the previous and that's likely in the "core barrel". The OP needs to do the FL repair either way regardless ........

Should he check the charging system? One would think
Old 09-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Erniep
Racer

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
I'm hoping it was the old alternator that caused it. I will have the system checked after I put the new wire on.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Erniep
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
There's a pair of FL from the alternator. If the FL that's burnt is from the large M8 charge wire it's M3 or a 12G is considered a good substitute. FL needs to be a specific length (generally 6 - 9") long, an auto parts store should have a 12G with the ring terminal already crimped. 12G very popular for most FOMOCO applications. Try NAPA or a "first line" AP, some chain AP may be able to help.

If by chance it's the smaller gauge "red" wire then the FL would be M3 or 16G.
Great. Thank you. I'll be doing that tomorrow
Old 09-09-2015, 08:29 PM
Erniep
Racer

:cheers

:
Great cheap easy fix you were over due. cut it out and take to nàpa they will fix you up.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator is good but not charging battery

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator is good but not charging battery