C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

about lock-up.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 08:29 AM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default about lock-up.

What tells to the tranny to lock-up? Is there som wires from the computer to the tranny? How is all hocked up?

Regards
Old 03-19-2002, 08:41 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Default Re: about lock-up. (devilfish)

I can answer a few questions, but not all. The computer tells the transmission to lock up, at a certain speed. I believe that speed is something like 42 mph. There are four wires running into the left side of the transmission, I believe that they feed power into the lock-up module. On a 350, its different, it locks the converter by grounding it. The converter unlocks if the throttle position exceeds approximately 1/2, or if the brake is applied, or if the speed drops below the lock-up speed(again, I think 42 mph).

This will be an interesting thread to watch, as I'm not sure how the converter actually locks up. As near as I could tell, there are two shafts running into the converter. I think one is the normal input shaft, and the other is for lock-up, which just free-wheels until its called into play, and the TCCM locks that shaft to the output. But I don't know for sure.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:08 AM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: about lock-up. (NoWorries)

I AM very interested in this thread... as my 96 with a Vigilante has just started to UNlock while I am cruising at app 65-70 mph.. No hills, I did not step on the gas or break it just UNlocked... for NO reason..

I played with the gas more & coast & it wold lock again.. but it has been doing it on a regular bases.

I don't know if its electrical or in the converter ?
Old 03-19-2002, 10:13 AM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: about lock-up. (NoWorries)

I can answer a few questions, but not all. The computer tells the transmission to lock up, at a certain speed. I believe that speed is something like 42 mph. There are four wires running into the left side of the transmission, I believe that they feed power into the lock-up module. On a 350, its different, it locks the converter by grounding it. The converter unlocks if the throttle position exceeds approximately 1/2, or if the brake is applied, or if the speed drops below the lock-up speed(again, I think 42 mph).

This will be an interesting thread to watch, as I'm not sure how the converter actually locks up. As near as I could tell, there are two shafts running into the converter. I think one is the normal input shaft, and the other is for lock-up, which just free-wheels until its called into play, and the TCCM locks that shaft to the output. But I don't know for sure.
This feels like the way mine behaves, so I think you are correct.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:49 PM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: about lock-up. (95_C4_convertible)

well I have posted some questions about lock-up before. Because I think I have a lock-up trouble. Iknow my tranny has be changed some time. AND I know that the pre-owner made a pretty bad job doing it, the c-beam bolts where not firmly locked, and the oilstick to the tranny whas not screwd in place.. SO i tought MAYBY he has not hooked it up right with the cabels to the lock-up function. And when I change the interior light on the driver side ( under the steering wheel ), I noticed a few cabels that where not connected to annything, they just hanged lose. These cabels could be from the euro tail lamp config, im not sure....:(

Regards
Old 03-20-2002, 03:40 AM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: about lock-up. (devilfish)

tt

Get notified of new replies

To about lock-up.

Quick Reply: about lock-up.