C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What grade Aluminum are the upper control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,749 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default What grade Aluminum are the upper control arms?

I am looking into making my own adjustable upper control arms and was wondering if 6061 T6 Aluminum is strong enough? Im made the cross shaft out of the T6 and then Im going to put heim joints on the end and use adjustable sleeves. Do you guys think T6 is strong enough for this?

Just looking for some other opinions. I did some FEA on it but wasnt sure what load to use for it.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:43 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brian Cunningham might have some idea. I know he has been making CAD drawings of the entire C4 suspension, maybe he has an idea of the loads exerted on the arm.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:54 PM
korvette4u
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when using any aluminium in a stress application as in "A" arms.. the best material is 70 (70,000psi tensil strength) series aluminium.. less prong to stress cracking then 6061 t-1 series.. if in doubt refer to "american engineering & Welding specification" handbook for proper application guides..

another concern would be if the construction doesnt conform to "orginal manufacture equipment" your efforts are in vien... insurance will not cover modified equipment with out GOVERNMENT Quality Control and inspection!! think twice about this!!

Last edited by korvette4u; 06-11-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Z06X
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, your comparing a billet piece versus a cast piece. If you create an identical piece, the billet will undoubtedly be stronger. Here, your altering the design entirely, so it's going to be up to you to calculate the loads involved and establish if the piece will work reliably. If you could get some data and then do some software strain analysis that'd be the way. Your placing that piece in shear and dividing it by two arms, so getting some numbers of the shear strength of that material then a guess of the loads involved would help.

That or you can do it the old school way and simply bolt it up and do some trial testing, increasing loads and doing some inspections.

Last edited by Z06X; 06-11-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:00 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm thinking T6 would be fine

are those the stock dimensions?

here's my adjustables

compare to the stockers they're a lot smaller, but they're also a lot stiffer.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Brian, did you replace just the uppers or uppers & lowers? Those look pretty nice. Did you do this for autocross purposes?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:34 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I love it when you talk dirty
Old 06-11-2010, 11:04 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by korvette4u
another concern would be if the construction doesn't conform to "original manufacture equipment" your efforts are in vein... insurance will not cover modified equipment with out GOVERNMENT Quality Control and inspection!! think twice about this!!
Will have to crash test your car
Old 06-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by arctic 92
Well, your comparing a billet piece versus a cast piece. If you create an identical piece, the billet will undoubtedly be stronger. Here, your altering the design entirely, so it's going to be up to you to calculate the loads involved and establish if the piece will work reliably. If you could get some data and then do some software strain analysis that'd be the way. Your placing that piece in shear and dividing it by two arms, so getting some numbers of the shear strength of that material then a guess of the loads involved would help.

That or you can do it the old school way and simply bolt it up and do some trial testing, increasing loads and doing some inspections.
Yes I did some testing but was unsure as to what loads the tire puts on the a arm under cornering with a r comp tire. I think it will be fine seeing as the lower one takes most of the lateral load.

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
I'm thinking T6 would be fine

are those the stock dimensions?

here's my adjustables

compare to the stockers they're a lot smaller, but they're also a lot stiffer.

Brian,

The dimensions are very close to stock. I dont have the money for those SPC ones, but they are the ones I am replicating. I am using heim joints instead of the bushings, but the setup is similar. I got the T6 material from my school and made the cross piece in my CNC class, Tom at Banski hooked me up with some heim joints, and I am making the ball joint plates at work. All in all I think I have less than $100 in for both arms.

Originally Posted by korvette4u

another concern would be if the construction doesnt conform to "orginal manufacture equipment" your efforts are in vien... insurance will not cover modified equipment with out GOVERNMENT Quality Control and inspection!! think twice about this!!
I dont have a state inspection that checks the suspension. Only a sniffer test.

Thanks for all the input guys. It sounds like this should be ok from the comments. I agree that something like 7075 would have been better but this was the best aluminum my CNC class professor wanted to buy!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Lateral loading during cornering is normally not the major concern with upper A arms as the A arm is either in compression or tension. IE: at work 90* from the vehicle longitudinal center line.

IMHO the issue of major concern is increased loading during HEAVY BRAKE application on corner entry with the major forces being applied to the suspension components that are positioned at the outside radius of the corner. The forward leg on the upper arm is in compression, the rear leg of the arm is in tension while the spindle acting as a lever (moment arm) pivoting on the lower ball joint is atempting to twist the entire upper arm assembly off the frame.

I have seen the adjustable leg A arms fail on oval track cars.

Good luck with your projects.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Old 06-12-2010, 10:54 AM
black88z51
Racer

7000 series is better then the 6000, it's stiffer and stronger. That's why when mountain bike frame makers started building frames with 7000 series a few years ago it was a step forward in the technology as a more rigid bike frame is better. As far as I know 6000 series is still readily available, and is popular for machining and easy to work with and will bend more before snapping.

Last edited by black88z51; 06-12-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Lateral loading during cornering is normally not the major concern with upper A arms as the A arm is either in compression or tension. IE: at work 90* from the vehicle longitudinal center line.

IMHO the issue of major concern is increased loading during HEAVY BRAKE application on corner entry with the major forces being applied to the suspension components that are positioned at the outside radius of the corner. The forward leg on the upper arm is in compression, the rear leg of the arm is in tension while the spindle acting as a lever (moment arm) pivoting on the lower ball joint is atempting to twist the entire upper arm assembly off the frame.

I have seen the adjustable leg A arms fail on oval track cars.

Good luck with your projects.
That is true. I plan to keep an eye on them for stress cracks or any bending while they are on the car. If they do fail it will be on the end where the heim joints sit, and if that happens I plan to drill into the cross shaft and use a bolt on the end instead. I left about 3/4" for threading on the end just in case.

Originally Posted by black88z51
7000 series is better then the 6000, it's stiffer and stronger. That's why when mountain bike frame makers started building frames with 7000 series a few years ago it was a step forward in the technology as a more rigid bike frame is better. As far as I know 6000 series is still readily available, and is popular for machining and easy to work with and will bend more before snapping.
Yeah 7000 series was not in the budget for my school so I went with 6000.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:17 PM
LT1inaMGB
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
I am looking into making my own adjustable upper control arms and was wondering if 6061 T6 Aluminum is strong enough? Im made the cross shaft out of the T6 and then Im going to put heim joints on the end and use adjustable sleeves. Do you guys think T6 is strong enough for this?
T6 is not an alloy, it is a heat treat condition. The alloy is the 4 digit number before the heat treat like 6061, 7075, 3003 etc. The alloy is what you should be looking for first then the properties that the particular heat treat provides
Old 06-13-2010, 11:32 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking into making my own adjustable upper control arms and was wondering if 6061 T6 Aluminum is strong enough?
7075 is a better choice on paper because it does have higher strength but practically is it more expensive as you've found out and much care must be taken if any anodizing is done to the finished part. If the parts are not anodized correctly it can actually weaken the part.

Just looking for some other opinions. I did some FEA on it but wasnt sure what load to use for it.
A general rule of thumb for a starting point in your FEA can be assuming a worst case scenario: that the full cornering load of the car is put on that one component. Yes, this is likely overkill but should also tell you what ballpark you're playing in.

So, what can your pull in a corner? 1 g? 1-1/4 g? < 1 g? Whatever that number is will give you a starting point. I think for most C4s with fuel and driver you're looking @ 3000 to 3500 lb.

Apply that force and run the analysis to see what kind of stesses are present and adjust from there.

Keep in mind though that in a case like this you're likely going to design to more criteria than just strength. Things like ease of assembly, mating up to standard components or hardware (like in your case the rod ends) come into play as well. You might end up finishing your design to these practical considerations and then running the analysis to make sure it will stand up.

FEA is a great tool but like any other it's only as good as the info that is put in. So, be mindful of the constraints used to make sure they're realistic.

There's no better test than real world application. You're in a good position because your car is street driven as well as tracked. Install your stuff and go for a little spin on a not so smooth local road. If it survives that, drive it for a while and see how it stands up. Then take it to the track and be observant the first few sessions out to see how it feels. After the event a tear down and inspection is a great way to get info about what's really going on. "Autopsies" on new designs can be very enlightening.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:24 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Well, you must consider many things that nobody has mentioned here. First of all, the only real source for your material properties should be referenced from Mil-Hdbk-5 for metallics. Realistically, the biggest loads that a Corvette control arm will see are the impact loads due to hitting a curb or pot hole. That is pretty hard to characterize exactly, so you are going to have to make some assumptions. I think that having the entire car on one wheel, times 1.5x, is reasonable in my experience (for the wheel loads, not for each individual suspension link). We use that criterion with our Penske shock parts, like our lower "T" bar shock mounts, upper clevis mounts, etc, and they are neither excessively heavy, nor has anyone ever even one yielded them yet.

To limit this discussion to 6061 and 7075, 6061 is the better choice here. Since this is a clean sheet design, you can increase the sections to use it and 6061 does not suffer from stress corrosion cracking to anywhere the extent that 7075 has (depending on the heat treatment). Alloy 7075 can have serious susceptibility to stress corrosion cracking at most common heat treatments that will show up in areas that have built in prestress like the corners of a clevis that does not fit perfectly. In addition, 7075 is considered not weldable even though if you take a TIG to it, it will weld, look good, but the material properties in that area are terrible. Alloy 6061 is cheap, easy to machine, and easy to anodize.

If you want to do an FEA, what are you going to use for you pass-fail criterion? Your output will be in Von Mises stress, which is the tensile equivalent to the octahedral shear stress. That is nice, but are you just going to plug in the FEA the tensile yield value that you look up? If you want to make it last a long time and want to consider fatigue, I think the modified Goodman criterion is a more reasonable value. If you not not familiar with it, it is more appropriate for things that see some positive stress value and cycle +/- about that positive value, like an aircraft spar, or car suspension, that is supporting the entire weight of the aircraft then sees bumps about that positive value. Again, Mil-Hdbk-5 will provide you with the allowables for whatever stress criterion that you deem appropriate. Good luck, but if I may, at TRW and L-M we had zillions of resources, and we still had the attitude that 1 test is worth 100 opinions.

Last edited by ghoffman; 06-13-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:39 PM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the clarification on the 7075 material properties and the 1.5 g starting point for design.

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Good luck, but if I may, at TRW and L-M we had zillions of resources, and we still had the attitude that 1 test is worth 100 opinions.
because we all know what opinions are like? And that everybody has one

Get notified of new replies

To What grade Aluminum are the upper control arms?

Old 06-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

The easy way to buy your self some pice of mind, Do some side by side destructive load testing. Your custom fab part next to the OEM. Maby fab some up for the local short oval guys too.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:37 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Brian, did you replace just the uppers or uppers & lowers? Those look pretty nice. Did you do this for autocross purposes?
just the uppers

the lowers got these, greaseable del-alum bushings

they're available to the tops as well, if you want to keep the stockers

I wanted to added adjustment to autoxing.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:57 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Well, you must consider many things that nobody has mentioned here. First of all, the only real source for your material properties should be referenced from Mil-Hdbk-5 for metallics. Realistically, the biggest loads that a Corvette control arm will see are the impact loads due to hitting a curb or pot hole. That is pretty hard to characterize exactly, so you are going to have to make some assumptions. I think that having the entire car on one wheel, times 1.5x, is reasonable in my experience (for the wheel loads, not for each individual suspension link). We use that criterion with our Penske shock parts, like our lower "T" bar shock mounts, upper clevis mounts, etc, and they are neither excessively heavy, nor has anyone ever even one yielded them yet.

To limit this discussion to 6061 and 7075, 6061 is the better choice here. Since this is a clean sheet design, you can increase the sections to use it and 6061 does not suffer from stress corrosion cracking to anywhere the extent that 7075 has (depending on the heat treatment). Alloy 7075 can have serious susceptibility to stress corrosion cracking at most common heat treatments that will show up in areas that have built in prestress like the corners of a clevis that does not fit perfectly. In addition, 7075 is considered not weldable even though if you take a TIG to it, it will weld, look good, but the material properties in that area are terrible. Alloy 6061 is cheap, easy to machine, and easy to anodize.

If you want to do an FEA, what are you going to use for you pass-fail criterion? Your output will be in Von Mises stress, which is the tensile equivalent to the octahedral shear stress. That is nice, but are you just going to plug in the FEA the tensile yield value that you look up? If you want to make it last a long time and want to consider fatigue, I think the modified Goodman criterion is a more reasonable value. If you not not familiar with it, it is more appropriate for things that see some positive stress value and cycle +/- about that positive value, like an aircraft spar, or car suspension, that is supporting the entire weight of the aircraft then sees bumps about that positive value. Again, Mil-Hdbk-5 will provide you with the allowables for whatever stress criterion that you deem appropriate. Good luck, but if I may, at TRW and L-M we had zillions of resources, and we still had the attitude that 1 test is worth 100 opinions.
These are the kind of answers I was hoping to get. Thanks guys! I did not consider any cycle stresses but I figured I would look them over after and during each event.

Originally Posted by astock165
7075 is a better choice on paper because it does have higher strength but practically is it more expensive as you've found out and much care must be taken if any anodizing is done to the finished part. If the parts are not anodized correctly it can actually weaken the part.

A general rule of thumb for a starting point in your FEA can be assuming a worst case scenario: that the full cornering load of the car is put on that one component. Yes, this is likely overkill but should also tell you what ballpark you're playing in.

So, what can your pull in a corner? 1 g? 1-1/4 g? < 1 g? Whatever that number is will give you a starting point. I think for most C4s with fuel and driver you're looking @ 3000 to 3500 lb.

Apply that force and run the analysis to see what kind of stesses are present and adjust from there.

Keep in mind though that in a case like this you're likely going to design to more criteria than just strength. Things like ease of assembly, mating up to standard components or hardware (like in your case the rod ends) come into play as well. You might end up finishing your design to these practical considerations and then running the analysis to make sure it will stand up.

FEA is a great tool but like any other it's only as good as the info that is put in. So, be mindful of the constraints used to make sure they're realistic.

There's no better test than real world application. You're in a good position because your car is street driven as well as tracked. Install your stuff and go for a little spin on a not so smooth local road. If it survives that, drive it for a while and see how it stands up. Then take it to the track and be observant the first few sessions out to see how it feels. After the event a tear down and inspection is a great way to get info about what's really going on. "Autopsies" on new designs can be very enlightening.
My idea of testing these was pretty much exactly what you described. I will be taking them off and looking at them after each event to make sure they are still good.

In my FEA I used a load of the corner weight (~950lbs) times the 1.5g's it can pull in a corner (estimate worst case like you said). I dont recall the number off hand but the deflection was low and the stress was below the ultimate yield strength by a safety factor of over 2.

Quick Reply: What grade Aluminum are the upper control arms?