C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

RENEGADE has arrived (Crossfire)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:26 PM
ben73
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default RENEGADE has arrived (Crossfire)

Well yesterday the postman knocked on the door and handed me a large box. Inside was this:

I am certain it will outperform the XRam (now discontinued) that I am currently using. I will be doing dyno and track tests before and after to see just how good it is on a decent 383. Stay posted

I must add a big thanks to those guys at DCS who have managed to manufacture this part and make it available to those of us who like to go fast, but refuse to slap a carb on in place of the 'ol Crossfire injection.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:29 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by ben73
Well yesterday the postman knocked on the door and handed me a large box. Inside was this:

I am certain it will outperform the XRam (now discontinued) that I am currently using. I will be doing dyno and track tests before and after to see just how good it is on a decent 383. Stay posted

I must add a big thanks to those guys at DCS who have managed to manufacture this part and make it available to those of us who like to go fast, but refuse to slap a carb on in place of the 'ol Crossfire injection.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:58 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope it lives up to the hype...
IE performs as well as advertised...

I wish you "good luck" with your build.

Mike
Old 06-12-2010, 12:12 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

I have a Q? Where is the EGR port for inside of the manifold? I know the cfi had a channel that released the egr gases in the middle of the intake.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:25 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like quality workmanship..I'n curious as to if it is better than the X-Ram. I had one on my 84'.It was a good set up.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Bondami
Race Director

Location: Southside of Western Norte Americano State of Confusion, ColoFornia
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude '13

Something that made me go Huh? looking at the pictures..(and this may be normal, I have never had a CFI or cross ram apart.) But i notice the intake bolts are actually inside the plenum?? Im guessing this is one of those applications where a thin smear of rtv or some other "locking agent" might not be a bad idea? I have never had a properly torqued intake bolt come lose.. but then again If it did the worst you would have is a leak.. on this one you could suck that right into the engine.

Just something that jumped out at me.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:46 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a CFI guy but good luck to you! I like your test idea and love to see people tweak a system to optimize it. Hope it works for you!
Old 06-12-2010, 02:02 PM
ben73
Pro

Originally Posted by aboatguy
I hope it lives up to the hype...
IE performs as well as advertised...

I wish you "good luck" with your build.

Mike

Well the manufacturer are clever enough to not quote a specific performance gain. Every engine is different, some are more hungry for air than others, so "results will vary"

I expect a gain over my current XRam, however if I was still using the stock manifold on my 383 I would expect a much bigger gain.
To advertise and say it is worth xx HP would be foolish
Old 06-12-2010, 02:07 PM
ben73
Pro

Originally Posted by ex-x-fire
I have a Q? Where is the EGR port for inside of the manifold? I know the cfi had a channel that released the egr gases in the middle of the intake.

You can't see it in my pics, but the EGR gases enter the plenum via a hole right there at the EGR valve, on top of runner #7, just under the gasket face for the lid.

A great addition for those who have to do a visual smog check.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:11 PM
ben73
Pro

Originally Posted by CAJUN C4
Looks like quality workmanship..I'n curious as to if it is better than the X-Ram. I had one on my 84'.It was a good set up.
The XRam does work 'okay', however the shallow plenum and torturous air path are far from ideal. I am no airflow professor, but this Renegade will surely be better. Once the air enters the runners, its a clear straight shot to the intake valve, its like a flattened tunnel ram.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:16 PM
ben73
Pro

Originally Posted by Bondami
Something that made me go Huh? looking at the pictures..(and this may be normal, I have never had a CFI or cross ram apart.) But i notice the intake bolts are actually inside the plenum?? Im guessing this is one of those applications where a thin smear of rtv or some other "locking agent" might not be a bad idea? I have never had a properly torqued intake bolt come lose.. but then again If it did the worst you would have is a leak.. on this one you could suck that right into the engine.

Yeah that's normal for a Crossram style manifold. I have never heard of it happening, but certainly something to consider. It sounds like you have never seen a stock crossfire intake, but the design is similar except the original intake has runners that are so small, if an intake bolt did manage to come all the way out, it would barely fit down the runner!!
Maybe you have just cracked the mystery as to why they made it so pathetically asthmatic back in '82 No warranty claims due to ingested intake bolts!
Old 06-12-2010, 03:44 PM
RICEKILA
Safety Car

I really hate to ask this

"How much"
Old 06-12-2010, 03:50 PM
ben73
Pro

Originally Posted by RICEKILA
I really hate to ask this

"How much"

It is listed on the DCS website at $460. Not bad for something that is a low volume production and actually 100% made in the USA...
Old 06-12-2010, 03:51 PM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

About time it came to the market! Please let me know about the power numbers. I heard it was good for 33hp. I just might consider one for mine.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:54 PM
ben73
Pro

Originally Posted by Crossfire L83
About time it came to the market! Please let me know about the power numbers. I heard it was good for 33hp. I just might consider one for mine.

Yeah, I remember reading something similar.. That was one persons result on what I *think* was a stock engine. As I said above, "Results May Vary"
Old 06-12-2010, 04:04 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

best of luck with it
Old 06-12-2010, 08:06 PM
RICEKILA
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ben73
It is listed on the DCS website at $460. Not bad for something that is a low volume production and actually 100% made in the USA...

That could be do-able

Get notified of new replies

To RENEGADE has arrived (Crossfire)

Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I hope it works as good as it looks!!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:44 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

And all this time, I thought that guy was just trolling the forum with that intake. Glad to see it came to light.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:14 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Bondami

Locktite

Personally, I'm convinced that this is the "cure" that the L-83 has needed for so many years. I've always been a fan of cross rams, from back in the Max-Wedge, Race Hemi and 69 Z/28 days. To have a well designed and made part like this that includes EGR and is a "direct replacement" part is just AWESOME!

Ben, one thing I forgot to ask you in my PM is what are the runner lengths on this intake? I'd like to see what RPM they are tuned for. I know it's going to be fairly high since the runners are shorter then TPI runner, but at least they're longer than the LTx engines get.

I have a funny feeling the TPI guys now have something to be jealous of that they never expected

Quick Reply: RENEGADE has arrived (Crossfire)