C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Well, need new rings for the '84.... While I've got it open......

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 AM
84compuvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Well, need new rings for the '84.... While I've got it open......

Looks like I've got to rebuild the '84 engine this winter. While I've got it torn down I'm gonna convert to a hydro roller. Looking for some advice on which way to go on some things. Here's what's on the engine now:

Edelbrock Performer RPM 6089 heads (64cc)
X-Ram intake (Weiand X-cellerator with custom top plate)
Crane 2030 Compucam (Powermax now)
Comp Cams Pro Mag roller-rockers (1.65 intake/1.6 exhaust)
EBL Flash from Dynamic EFI (not installed yet)
Edelbrock Victor water pump
Borla muflers (no cat)

Also, the car is an auto with a rebuild Th700r4 (+200 rpm stall converter) and a 3.07 gear.

Well, I called Lunati and Comp Cams for cam suggestions. Here's what they said:

Lunati suggested the Voodoo 262 roller and Comp suggested the 280XFI.

I'm thinking the 280XFI is a little big for my setup and the 262 is not going to be much if any upgrade from the Crane 2030. What's the hive mind think?

Also, I've got an ARP 2-bolt stud kit for the block and a set of ARP wave-lock rod bolts. Should I get the stock rods re-done or just get some SCAT rods and not worry about it? Local race engine shop is going to do the bore hone and the align hone on the block. I'm going to have them balance the rotating assembly as well. I'm hoping to keep the stock pistons and not have to bore the block just to save money. Spending a truckload on the '71 restoration right now, otherwise I'd go crazy....... (I do have a Eagle 383 crank in the garage.....)
Old 06-16-2010, 02:43 PM
big wave
Instructor

Originally Posted by 84compuvette
Looks like I've got to rebuild the '84 engine this winter. While I've got it torn down I'm gonna convert to a hydro roller. Looking for some advice on which way to go on some things. Here's what's on the engine now:

Borla muflers (no cat)

Also, the car is an auto with a rebuild Th700r4 (+200 rpm stall converter) and a 3.07 gear.

Iwould just add this engine in your 84. That is what im going to do with my 85 ---This offer is a Chevy 383 stroker motor, with GM iron VORTEC heads. The block is a 350 with 1-piece seal, that recieves this machining: Bored and honed- Grind for rod clearance with stroker crank. The VORTEC iron heads, feature 175cc intake ports - heart shaped 64cc chambers, for greater strength and performance. No core exchange required, saving you HUNDRED$$

This engine is built to order, taking appox. 3 weeks, after payment thru PayPal. The engine comes with a NEW 5qt. oil pan and balancer installed, along with a NEW (Satin or Polished finish) dual plane intake manifold. The engine will be painted the color of your choice, and comes with valvecovers of choice (Chrome plated steel - Black/red letters - Gray/blue letters- Polished aluminum).

The crankshaft is by "EAGLE" products, with 5.7" long I-beam rods and SpeedPro pistons with moly rings, giving pump gas friendly (10to1) compression ratio. A Comp Cams hydralic camshaft, spec's (232/232`@.050" with .480" lift) with matching valve springs, providing TREMENDOUS acceleration, with a power range of 2000-5700 rpm's.

This engine is hand fitted and assembled, by ASE certified Master Machinist (me), with 26 years experience. This engine comes with a 90 day parts and workmanship guarantee, after start-up.

Expect 425hp and 420 ft.lbs. torque, PERFECT for your CAMARO / FIREBIRD / TRANS AM / C-10 / S-10 / CHEVELLE / MALIBU / CORVETTE / VEGA / STREET ROD / IMPALA / BEL AIR / EL CAMINO / MONTE CARLO. This motor has serious power!

I'm thinking the 280XFI is a little big for my setup and the 262 is not going to be much if any upgrade from the Crane 2030. What's the hive mind think?

Also, I've got an ARP 2-bolt stud kit for the block and a set of ARP wave-lock rod bolts. Should I get the stock rods re-done or just get some SCAT rods and not worry about it? Local race engine shop is going to do the bore hone and the align hone on the block. I'm going to have them balance the rotating assembly as well. I'm hoping to keep the stock pistons and not have to bore the block just to save money. Spending a truckload on the '71 restoration right now, otherwise I'd go crazy....... (I do have a Eagle 383 crank in the garage.....)
This offer is a Chevy 383 stroker motor, with GM iron VORTEC heads. The block is a 350 with 1-piece seal, that recieves this machining: Bored and honed- Grind for rod clearance with stroker crank. The VORTEC iron heads, feature 175cc intake ports - heart shaped 64cc chambers, for greater strength and performance. No core exchange required, saving you HUNDRED$$

This engine is built to order, taking appox. 3 weeks, after payment thru PayPal. The engine comes with a NEW 5qt. oil pan and balancer installed, along with a NEW (Satin or Polished finish) dual plane intake manifold. The engine will be painted the color of your choice, and comes with valvecovers of choice (Chrome plated steel - Black/red letters - Gray/blue letters- Polished aluminum).

The crankshaft is by "EAGLE" products, with 5.7" long I-beam rods and SpeedPro pistons with moly rings, giving pump gas friendly (10to1) compression ratio. A Comp Cams hydralic camshaft, spec's (232/232`@.050" with .480" lift) with matching valve springs, providing TREMENDOUS acceleration, with a power range of 2000-5700 rpm's.

This engine is hand fitted and assembled, by ASE certified Master Machinist (me), with 26 years experience. This engine comes with a 90 day parts and workmanship guarantee, after start-up.

Expect 425hp and 420 ft.lbs. torque, PERFECT for your CAMARO / FIREBIRD / TRANS AM / C-10 / S-10 / CHEVELLE / MALIBU / CORVETTE / VEGA / STREET ROD / IMPALA / BEL AIR / EL CAMINO / MONTE CARLO. This motor has serious power!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:16 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks like I've got to rebuild the '84 engine this winter. While I've got it torn down I'm gonna convert to a hydro roller. Looking for some advice on which way to go on some things.
Some notes.
If you are doing a full rebuild on a 350 then the only cost difference in a 383 is the cost of the stroker crank ( as low as $180 ) which is why everyone is building 383's now.You have to buy new pistons and get block machined either way

Given the cost of the lifters to do a retro roller conversion may be cheaper to start with a factory roller block that uses all the cheap factory parts.
LS7 roller lifters @ $130 vs $300+ for retro fit
'96-'00 Vortec truck blocks are plentiful and cheap.Also the earlier truck engines ( '87+ ,1 pce seal crank) were machined for roller cam even though the factory fitted a flat tappet in them .Just a matter of getting the factory roller parts ( lifter guides , cam retainer plate, hold down spider ,etc ) to do the roller cam swap

Vortec heads will require a intake swap

Last edited by rodj; 06-16-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:17 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Vortec heads don't require an intake swap - the heads can be re-drilled for the standard bolt pattern.

Either way, he should replace the X-ram with one of the new Renegade intakes now that they're in production and being shipped.

Going to a 383 requires a programmable ECU to run right, so that may be more involved that the OP is willing to go.

As long as the cam is kept to one suitable for the CFI setup though it should be a nice improvement. That Lunati 262 retro-roller is sweet

Last edited by mcm95403; 06-16-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:31 PM
big wave
Instructor

Borla muflers (no cat)

Here is the name and info on where to get that engine.. NEW LOWER PRICE!!! BUY IT NOW, for shipping discount!

This offer is a Chevy 383 stroker motor, with GM iron VORTEC heads. The block is a 350 with 1-piece seal, that recieves this machining: Bored and honed- Grind for rod clearance with stroker crank. The VORTEC iron heads, feature 175cc intake ports - heart shaped 64cc chambers, for greater strength and performance. No core exchange required, saving you HUNDRED$$

New LOWER price $2399.00 + freight. Discounted shipping, when you BUY IT NOW!!

Questions? Call me at 281-546-6232 HERB

Top End Package deal, including Edelbrock 750cfm carb- MSD HEI style distributor- Accel 8mm wires and AC Delco platinum sparkplugs $600.00 extra. The last two photo's display, Drop in ready!

Want to unleash 30hp? Optional Stage II porting available, only $300.00 extra!

Here is the info on where to get that engine-- NEW LOWER PRICE!!! BUY IT NOW, for shipping discount!

New LOWER price $2399.00 + freight. Discounted shipping, when you BUY IT NOW!!

Questions? Call me at 281-546-6232 HERB

Top End Package deal, including Edelbrock 750cfm carb- MSD HEI style distributor- Accel 8mm wires and AC Delco platinum sparkplugs $600.00 extra. The last two photo's display, Drop in ready!

Want to unleash 30hp? Optional Stage II porting available, only $300.00 extra!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:59 AM
84compuvette
Advanced

I've got an EBL Flash ECM and a wideband, so programing the ECU is no big deal. I'm thinking I'll go with the Comp 268XFI roller and just see what everything looks like when I get it open. If I have to bore it I'll go 383, if it just needs honed, I'll leave it alone (well, except for the cam....). I'm spending scary amounts of money on the 1971 restore right now so I want to keep my costs low.

Last edited by 84compuvette; 06-17-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:43 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I've got an EBL Flash ECM and a wideband, so programing the ECU is no big deal. I'm thinking I'll go with the Comp 268XFI roller and just see what everything looks like when I get it open. If I have to bore it I'll go 383, if it just needs honed, I'll leave it alone (well, except for the cam....). I'm spending scary amounts of money on the 1971 restore right now so I want to keep my costs low.
Let us know how it turns out
Old 06-17-2010, 07:50 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mcm95403
Vortec heads don't require an intake swap - the heads can be re-drilled for the standard bolt pattern.
Don't they ?
I suppose some sealant would work to seal the ports

Old 06-17-2010, 08:37 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vetteoz
Don't they ?
I suppose some sealant would work to seal the ports

I beleive that mis-match is only with the stock CrossFire intake due to the itty-bitty stock ports and "lean" casting. I could certainly be wrong though.

Get notified of new replies

To Well, need new rings for the '84.... While I've got it open......

Quick Reply: Well, need new rings for the '84.... While I've got it open......