C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Despite spenting over $800 and being full of feon my A\C dosen't blow cold air: why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:57 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Despite spenting over $800 and being full of feon my A\C dosen't blow cold air: why?

I've spent over $800 in the past 1.5 yrs to get this A\C system to work properly now despite the fact that it's full of freon it now blows out air that's not really cold "last year my A\C worked great" my 94 4cyl Toyota PU A\C will freeze you out and the only thing that i've done with it in the last 5 years is to put 1 can of freon, go figure! the compressor dose it's recycleing properly "i've also notice that my engine surging when A\C is on" still no cold air, what should i do to correct this problem? because I can't continue to throw my good money into this problem. Should i return it to my orginal Corvette mech for another shot at it or try a A\C repair shop?
thanks boonie

PS are C4 Corvettes cursed with defected A\C systems?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:40 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by boonie c4
I've spent over $800 in the past 1.5 yrs to get this A\C system to work properly now despite the fact that it's full of freon it now blows out air that's not really cold "last year my A\C worked great" my 94 4cyl Toyota PU A\C will freeze you out and the only thing that i've done with it in the last 5 years is to put 1 can of freon, go figure! the compressor dose it's recycleing properly "i've also notice that my engine surging when A\C is on" still no cold air, what should i do to correct this problem? because I can't continue to throw my good money into this problem. Should i return it to my orginal Corvette mech for another shot at it or try a A\C repair shop?
thanks boonie

PS are C4 Corvettes cursed with defected A\C systems?
Hard to say whether you could get low-cost/free follow-up from the shop where you've been. It's worth a try but I'd be more inclined to take it somewhere else -- if it's been more than a few days since service.

I don't know if 94 cars work the same way but earlier C4's (and a lot of other vehicles) have issues with their blend doors. It's a door that, depending on position, controls how much heat/cold air gets in the cabin. When swung all the way one direction, it covers the heating source and blows the coldest air. The opposite direction allows the hottest air. For electronically controlled (w/thermostat), air can be somewhere in-between.

It could be your A/C is working fine but your blend door is letting in heated air along with it.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 AM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When was the last time your system was charged. I know you said it was full but if it was last year when you had it charged it could have leaked down some. let me know
Old 06-15-2010, 03:45 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd suspect a Blend Door Problem too, but the fact that it's surging means it isn't reacting to the a/c request (correctly) or the compressor is putting a huge load on the system, so scanning it should be on your list of things to do first. Also, what did you have done? CA requires shops that do a/c work to provide you with a detailed description of their services and to note operating pressures, center vent temp and outside air temp and if they didn't do that, you may have redress through the B.A.R. Letting us know what you spent $800 for could help.

Get notified of new replies

To Despite spenting over $800 and being full of feon my A\C dosen't blow cold air: why?

Quick Reply: Despite spenting over $800 and being full of feon my A\C dosen't blow cold air: why?