C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1987 Horn Contact/Spring Picture...need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:21 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 1987 Horn Contact/Spring Picture...need some help

Took a break from Paint Prep today, seems like wet sanding never ends.

Since I bought the 87 Vette last month the horn did not work. Today, I checked it out thru the relay up tot he steering wheel/horn button. I had no continuity from the yellow wire at the actual horn button to the relay. I pulled the steering wheel
and found what you see in the picture. Any of the 3 contacts that the spring ride on, when shorted to ground will blow the horn. The Horn Spring was all rusted so it could not make good contact.

However, I see another problem. Either something is broke or missing. Reference the picture. Contacts 1 & 2 sit .240" above the flat plate. Contact 3 actually sits
.020" below the flat plate surface. This is allowing the spring to sit crooked on the contacts.

Does anyone have a picture of what is broken or missing ? Once contact #3 is brought to the elevation of contacts 1&2, all will be well.

I know I need a FSM ! In a week or two, I am shooting PPG Deltron on my vette. Its costing a kings ransom. Once my car is shot, I will buy a FSM. I have been on a
truck forum for 10 years and am the one that always says "Get a FSM"......and I will.

Thanks for your help.
8Valve
Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Rich Silvestris
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The contacts you see are part of the turn signal cancel cam. The disk holding it in is the lock plate. It is normal for contact 3 to sit lower. A translucent insulator ring sits on top of what you see in the photo, then 3 guide spacers. The wheel goes on top of that. There is a large spring that extends from the wheel hub to contact the cam contacts. There is a wire and bayonet connector that extend from the horn button to make contact with the spring through the wheel. I haven't studied how it works, but that is what's supposed to be in there. All the parts are shown in the FSM, and I got a close look when I replaced my lock sylinder last week. I think you need the insulator to get the spring to sit straight. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:15 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rich Silvestris
The contacts you see are part of the turn signal cancel cam. The disk holding it in is the lock plate. It is normal for contact 3 to sit lower. A translucent insulator ring sits on top of what you see in the photo, then 3 guide spacers. The wheel goes on top of that. There is a large spring that extends from the wheel hub to contact the cam contacts. There is a wire and bayonet connector that extend from the horn button to make contact with the spring through the wheel. I haven't studied how it works, but that is what's supposed to be in there. All the parts are shown in the FSM, and I got a close look when I replaced my lock sylinder last week. I think you need the insulator to get the spring to sit straight. Good luck.
Many Thanks Rich;

I am good to go. Contact 3 being lower worried me. I do have the translucent spacer and the 3 guide spacers. My main problem I guess was the badly rusted and dirty spring where it contacts the contacts on turn signal cancel cam.

Thanks for your help.
8Valve
Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Rich Silvestris
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

After thinking about this a little longer and looking at an old cancel cam, I realized that "contact 3" is only a tab to hold the contact ring on the other side of the cam in place. The insulator ring must be positioned so that the other 2 contacts show through, and it has to be centered and seated so that the spring can rest on the contacts.
Again , good luck.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 AM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rich Silvestris
After thinking about this a little longer and looking at an old cancel cam, I realized that "contact 3" is only a tab to hold the contact ring on the other side of the cam in place. The insulator ring must be positioned so that the other 2 contacts show through, and it has to be centered and seated so that the spring can rest on the contacts.
Again , good luck.
Thanks Rich, I understand. I just found a 1987 FSM's on the C4 Parts forum. I will have it in a week or so. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 Horn Contact/Spring Picture...need some help

Quick Reply: 1987 Horn Contact/Spring Picture...need some help