C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Auto Transmission Shift Cable SNAFU (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:10 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Auto Transmission Shift Cable SNAFU (Long)

Here's some info that I'd like to pass on after my latest Corvette adventure. The shift cable on my '89 started to fray inside the housing making shifting in and out of "Park" as much fun as arm wrestling Arnold Schwarzenegger. After removing most of the center and the transmission tunnel consoles, I was able to swap out the shift cable. That's when the fun began...

The stock GM cable is listed as being 30.5" long. I tried Rockauto and the replacement Dorman #16674 wasn't available (no longer in production); however, an ATP #747 shift cable at 32" was available and recommended as a substitute. I order the substitute and install it w/o problem (except that it requires three e-clips instead of the stock one to mount the cable to the shifter bracket). I reset the neutral safety switch and check to make sure I can engage all transmission gears. I shift into "Park", but the transmission remains in "Drive". I turn off the ignition, remove the key, get under the car, and discover that the transmission end of the shift cable is kinked upwards. So I manually shift the car into "Park" while under the car. After a quick removal of the end boot revealed the problem. The solid, metal portion of the shift cable stood proud of the metal guide sleeve by a half inch or so. That meant that I could pull the cable back into the sleeve when I shifted out of "Park" into "Drive"; but when I shifted back into "Park", the flexible wire portion of the cable didn't have any support from the sleeve and just flexed upward kinking the cable and leaving the transmission in drive.

Choosing not to start modifying bracket mounts, I ordered a Balkamp #620-2401 from NAPA. It's listed as 30.5" long, but says as 30 35/64" on the box (made in Taiwan). It installed properly, and I can now drive my Vette.

I informed Rockauto of my problem with the ATP unit and checked their website prior to this posting to make sure that the ATP unit was no longer listed as a substitute. Moral of the story, accept no substitutes! Get the correct replacement part the first time. Hope this saves someone the same hassle I had in the future.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:22 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Nice thread, thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Shift Cable SNAFU (Long)