C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Are C4 Corvettes under braked

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:54 AM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are C4 Corvettes under braked

My '84 had a hard time stopping with new rotors and good brake pads. Now my '92 Vette has a hard time stopping compared to my C5. Is it just my 2 C4s or is it a common problem in C4s?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Moon86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 85 your supposed to use the e-brake to keep the rear discs in adjustment. When I first got the car there was some spotty surface rust on the rear rotors that didn't go away until I started using the e-brake. Car also started stopping a little better. So now, when I back the car out of the garage, I use the e-brake to stop it. Also, after I started using the e-brake I had to put brake fluid in the master cyl. You might want to check that out.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:43 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My C4 brakes like its about to go off the end of a road into a deep ravine!
Old 06-24-2010, 01:04 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The '84 brakes are good...but there is always better.

Look into doing the C5 brake swap. it is a simple adapter plate bolt on. You'll need C5 or newer wheels as the 16" wheels do not have the I.D. to accommodate the larger caliper and rotor.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:12 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another option is 13" fronts and metallic or semi metallic pads all around.
I have that on my 1989 and they work pretty well. Not sure about if you would need different wheels on a 1984.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

Are C4's under braked, no. You probably have poor pads, also there could be issues with the pad not bedded in. And lack of maintenance. I've worked on the stock brakes and didn't have a problem getting them to lock up the tires. Try pads from Carbotech, new brake fluid, and do maintenance on the calipers.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:37 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

^^Well, lemme ask....are you saying that you've seen brakes that "Never" lock up??

I've only got mine to go off of.....but I mean....Mine will lock up...it's just a matter of pushing that pedal hard enough.

Are there cars out there that won't do that? (I'm not questioning that what you say is true or not......I really have no knowledge about one that wouldn't skid the tires...and I am hoping to learn)

So yeah....if one wouldn't skid the tires...I'd be really concerned. When folks ask if they are under braked......I just assume their pedal is a little too hard for their taste to get to that "skid" level. OR, they are taking the car to the track and running through pads really quickly.......Those are the two things that come to mind when I hear these questions.

And for the sake of discussion, I buy the $20 brake pads from Kragen that are only sold online and shipped directly to you.....
Old 06-24-2010, 01:43 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

C4s aren't under-braked for a car that is almost 30 years old... but compared to most modern sports cars, yes.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:46 PM
darkstallion_69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the stock brakes on my 94 and it stops like a gem.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:08 PM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to push really hard on the pedal sometimes to get the car to come to a stop. They're not soft or mushy. Could the master cylinder or vacuum canister be bad?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by jhammons01
^^Well, lemme ask....are you saying that you've seen brakes that "Never" lock up??

I've only got mine to go off of.....but I mean....Mine will lock up...it's just a matter of pushing that pedal hard enough.

Are there cars out there that won't do that? (I'm not questioning that what you say is true or not......I really have no knowledge about one that wouldn't skid the tires...and I am hoping to learn)

So yeah....if one wouldn't skid the tires...I'd be really concerned. When folks ask if they are under braked......I just assume their pedal is a little too hard for their taste to get to that "skid" level. OR, they are taking the car to the track and running through pads really quickly.......Those are the two things that come to mind when I hear these questions.

And for the sake of discussion, I buy the $20 brake pads from Kragen that are only sold online and shipped directly to you.....
When I got my car it wasn't well taken care of. I don't know what pads were on it but they couldn't put down much braking torque. If I pressed the pedal as hard as I could it wouldn't skid, it would just come to a stop. I've got Hawk HT-10 on there now and they are really to much for street tires. Very light force is required to skid the tires.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by mundo
I have to push really hard on the pedal sometimes to get the car to come to a stop. They're not soft or mushy. Could the master cylinder or vacuum canister be bad?
I've heard some say that the C4 is under boosted. IIRC FSM states 84 lbs of pressure on the pedal for full boost. I think it's fine but I'm a pretty strong person. A high hard pedal without much stopping power is a classic symptom of a damaged booster. I doubt your M/C is causing any issues but rebuilding it with new seals wouldn't be a bad idea for any of these cars at this age.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:35 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

The system has to be in good working order and the pad compound is very important.

I use Hawk HPS which are a ferro-carbon compound......light to medium dusting and very good bite (stopping power).
Old 06-24-2010, 02:37 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

^^Yeah, but isn't the hot setup for later years is to get the Steel diaphragmed '84 booster vs the cheaper later years??

If that is the case, wouldn't the later years be complaining after putting an '84 booster on their car?

If the car or brakes don't grab, I'd first check the vacuum to the booster.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:46 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by mundo
My '84 had a hard time stopping with new rotors and good brake pads. Now my '92 Vette has a hard time stopping compared to my C5. Is it just my 2 C4s or is it a common problem in C4s?
If you've got new rotors and new brake pads, it's going to take some miles to get them bedded in. The brakes have to conform to the rotors. My 84 stops very well from 125mph a few times a week. Well enough to make the first turnoff at Infineon!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:55 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by 383vett
If you've got new rotors and new brake pads, it's going to take some miles to get them bedded in. The brakes have to conform to the rotors. My 84 stops very well from 125mph a few times a week. Well enough to make the first turnoff at Infineon!
Did you bed the brakes? Or Did you install new rotors and pads and that all it was done to the system?

From 60mph, gently apply the brakes a couple of times to bring them up to operating temperature. This prevents you from thermally shocking the rotors and pads in the next steps.

Make eight to ten near-stops from 60mph to about 10-15 mph. Do it HARD by pressing the brakes firmly, but do not lock the wheels or engage ABS. At the end of each slowdown, immediately accelerate back to 60mph and then apply the brakes again. DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP! If you stop completely and sit with your foot on the brake pedal, you will imprint pad material onto the hot rotors, which could lead to vibration and uneven braking.

The brakes may begin to fade after the 7th or 8th near-stop. This fade will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have fully cooled. A strong smell from the brakes, and even some smoke, is normal.

After the last near-stop, accelerate back up to speed and cruise for a while, using the brakes as little as possible. The brakes need only a few minutes to cool down. Try not to become trapped in traffic or come to a complete stop while the brakes are still very hot.

If full race pads, such as Hawk DTC-70 or Performance Friction PFC01 are being used, add four near-stops from 80 to 10 mph.

After the break-in cycle, there should be a slight blue tint and a light gray film on the rotor face. The blue tint tells you the rotor has reached break-in temperature and the gray film is pad material starting to transfer onto the rotor face. This is what you are looking for. The best braking occurs when there is an even layer of of pad material deposited across the rotors. This minimizes squealing, increases braking torque, and maximizes pad and rotor life.

After the first break in cycle shown above, the brakes may still not be fully broken in. A second bed-in cycle, AFTER the brakes have cooled down fully from the first cycle, may be necessary before the brakes really start to perform well. This is especially true if you have installed new pads on old rotors, since the pads need time to conform to the old rotor wear pattern. If you've just installed a big brake kit, the pedal travel may not feel as firm as you expected. After the second cycle, the pedal will become noticeably firmer. If necessary, bleed the brakes to improve pedal firmness.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:00 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

stock pads are cr@p

get a decent set of pads in them

Get notified of new replies

To Are C4 Corvettes under braked

Old 06-24-2010, 03:05 PM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 85. I knew that the brakes were verly adequate, but, when I installed C5 z06 brakes, it was like night and day. So my answer has to be C4 brakes are not enough. I would stongly urge every C4 owner to do the swap
Old 06-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

You may also need to re-bed the pads if the rotor rusts on the fire path, that's very common around here. It doesn't take that many stops to see the pad material on the rotor. I've found four stops to be enough, YMMV. You don't need to do so many stops that there is fade, that's just setting you up for having to bleed the brakes or break down the pad material from over heating it.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:09 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Anyone know if the C5 conversion will work with the 17" sawblades? (sorry about the simi-hijack)

Quick Reply: Are C4 Corvettes under braked