Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-08-2010, 05:02 AM   #1
69SSC5
CF Senior Member

Default oil smells like exhaust

what makes my oil smell like exhaust?
I tore into the motor a few days ago to change the injectors, while i was in there i noticed that my lower intake manifold leaks a tiny bit where the manifold meets the block. so i took the lower manifold off and am in the process of cleaning it. While i was doing this it got me thinking should i be changing my head gaskets since im this far and dont want to do this whole thing twice? i know i should of compression checked it before it tore into it but i got overzelouse and forgot to, i have never had any head gasket issues that im aware of but my oil has always smelled like exhuast, was wondering if a leaking head gasket causes this or if fixing the leak in my intake will correct the problem????
106,000 on stock motor
69SSC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
69SSC5
CF Senior Member

nobody knows????
Old 07-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
383vett
CF Senior Member

Trying to figure out what exhaust smells like. Is it a rich exhaust smell? Are you smelling gas?
383vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
69SSC5
CF Senior Member

no its not a gas smell its more of a burnt gas smell,,, thats why i said it smells like exhaust, like burnt gas or maybe a burnt carbon smell is a better was to put it.
i dont know if it is anything but i have always noticed the smell
Old 07-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
383vett
CF Senior Member

If the plugs look ok, if there is no oil in the water or vice versa and the car runs ok, don't worry about it. Changing the head gaskets without a definite reason can be a lot of work for nothing.
383vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
69SSC5
CF Senior Member

pulled all the plugs, they look good and it was running good with a few exceptions that are not the head gaskets, so i guess i will leave it be, thanks for the advice
Old 07-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

When was the oil last changed? Is it dark? Could just be old oil.
Paul Ruggeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
69SSC5
CF Senior Member

its new oil,,, i have owned the car and only put a few hundred miles on it and have changed the oil twice,,, the oil has always smelt like exhuast.... i think the car sat for a really long time before i bought it... when i tore the lower intake off the block i noticed alot of gunk build up (i mean alot, 1/4 inch think or so of gunk) behind the rods of the #8 cylinder... funny thing was there wasnt much gunk build up anywhere else but behind the #8 cylinder rods... wierd
Old 07-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Sounds like the previous owner didn't change the oil often enough. Be sure to replace your PCV valve if you haven't done that yet.
Paul Ruggeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
coupeguy2001
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to coupeguy2001

You might have a cracked intake manifold base, and the egr passage could be bleeding into the lifter valley

OR............

you could have a sticky egr valve, or a sticky PCV valve, so when you nail it or use a lot of throttle, the EGR flooded manifold vacuum gets down near zero PSI and the exhaust gas flows backwards through the PCV for a split second into the top of the rocker cover.
At that point, it's a gas, not liquid or heavy vapor, but it would carry a smell with it.

Make sure the egr solenoid vent tube foam filter hasn't just turned back into a sticky substance, shutting off the release path of the EGR solenoid vent. After all, it's almost 25 years old, and foam does not do well with age and heat.

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 07-10-2010 at 08:40 PM.
coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
jakers
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Me too!

Mine does too! 94 LT1 car. This has always been something I worried about. Previous owner had the car tuned and to what specs, I don't know. Been repairing so many other issues that I have not had time to look into getting it properly tuned to the current modifications. I believe that it is running rich though!
jakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
69SSC5
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupeguy2001 View Post
You might have a cracked intake manifold base, and the egr passage could be bleeding into the lifter valley

OR............

you could have a sticky egr valve, or a sticky PCV valve, so when you nail it or use a lot of throttle, the EGR flooded manifold vacuum gets down near zero PSI and the exhaust gas flows backwards through the PCV for a split second into the top of the rocker cover.
At that point, it's a gas, not liquid or heavy vapor, but it would carry a smell with it.

Make sure the egr solenoid vent tube foam filter hasn't just turned back into a sticky substance, shutting off the release path of the EGR solenoid vent. After all, it's almost 25 years old, and foam does not do well with age and heat.

thanks,,, i have the intake off and i inspected it for cracks and it looks good as far as the eye can see...

where is the egr solenoid vent tube foam filter?

also any idea as to what would cause an oily gunk build in the engine valley behind the #8 cylinder rods?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:25 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page oil smells like exhaust