C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My oil cooler heat shield (etc...)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:55 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Default My oil cooler heat shield (etc...)

After positioning the headers, I went around and shielded anything I could -- especially parts that were within about 1" of the headers.

One of the bigger obstacles was the oil cooler. With it's original orientation the hoses ran straight toward the secondary tubes before turning to go into the block.

After a bit of agonizing, I decided to cut/alter the mounting slots so I could turn the cooler 30-degrees counterclockwise (original direction shown in yellow below). This required that I hold the cooler while tightening. No big deal. As installed, it shouldn't turn counterclockwise while installing a new filter (by hand) and the mounting pins will still prevent it from rotating while removing old filters.

Then, instead of wrapping the hose to complete the sheilding process, I bought a piece of alum from the hardware store.
I made a shield to protect the hoses....

Here's a pic of it after mounting. I used the oil pan cooler stud and (originally) O2sensor wire bracket stud as mounting points.
(My O2 wire doesn't need the oil pan mounting point any more.)

I also wrapped the steering wheel damper with DEI cool tape...

And, covered the starter with a heat blanket....

And, wrapped the clutch hydraulic line....
(Though you can't tell in the pic, there's 2" between the line and the header tube.)
Old 07-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Marv02
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read somewhere wrapping headers or things next to the headers can be a fire waiting to happen.

If the wrap gets gas or oil build up on it so keep a close eye on it.

Oh yea Very nice headers I wish I could run headers I hate Ca Smog Laws.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:03 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Here's a couple of pics to show how (surprisingly) well the headers fit.

No issue with the #2 tube! Woohoo!!!

I pulled the fuel lines further away and insulated the AC/header blend box.

(This is mostly for TJM and the other VetteTech header owners.)

I'll get a topside pic of the driver's header later today.

gp
Old 07-12-2010, 07:06 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by Marv02
I read somewhere wrapping headers or things next to the headers can be a fire waiting to happen.
You're thinking of header wrap (which wraps around header tubes themselves.)
Old 07-12-2010, 09:25 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice oven you built. It needs an insulating material on it.

Then, instead of wrapping the hose to complete the sheilding process, I bought a piece of alum from the hardware store.
I made a shield to protect the hoses....

Old 07-12-2010, 09:49 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by MK 82
Nice oven you built. It needs an insulating material on it.
I do have 2000-deg insulating tape on the side with the headers.

I know it's hard to see (being silver on a silver surface), but look again (pics 6 & 7).

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 07-12-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 PM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Putting an insulating sleeve over the hose itself would be much more effective. Allows more air to circulate.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:16 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

I'm not convinced.

My shield is setup so air can run freely front to back. If a sock were on the hose(s), no air could get to the hoses since they would be covered.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I'm not convinced.

My shield is setup so air can run freely front to back. If a sock were on the hose(s), no air could get to the hoses since they would be covered.
beautiful job you really do nice work, but I would think about air flow. Back in 1970 I had a new charger r/t-(wish I still had it) I had made a similar bracket to shield the hose but I used asbestos (did not know then about the dangers of that material) but I believe it was cooler. It will be hard to prove unless you can somehow get a temp reading from a probe in that area. But great job as usual-you think out of the box. Will that get any air circ. from the fans?

Last edited by enventr; 07-13-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:18 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by enventr
beautiful job you really do nice work, but I would think about air flow. Back in 1970 I had a new charger r/t-(wish I still had it) I had made a similar bracket to shield the hose but I used asbestos (did not know then about the dangers of that material) but I believe it was cooler. It will be hard to prove unless you can somehow get a temp reading from a probe in that area. But great job as usual-you think out of the box. Will that get any air circ. from the fans?
Thank you.

The front (and length) of the shield is completely open for air to run thru. I do think it will get more air from above the crossmember than below it. Some air from the fans will make it down there (despite the GIANT brace running in front of the crank pulley).

Keep in mind the cooling for this piece is done by water circulating thru the base of the oil filter mount. (Actually, oil and water run thru a small radiator-like assembly at the base of the filter. That's the cooler.)

There's no real air cooling involved. Just need to keep heat from building up to be safe -- especially from the headers.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:49 AM
MK 82
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN

My shield is setup so air can run freely front to back. If a sock were on the hose(s), no air could get to the hoses since they would be covered.I meant air circulating around the hose outside of the insulation.
What you have is better than nothing but a sleeve over the hose would be better and much easier to do. It was a nice fabricating job though.

Last edited by Allthrottleandsomebottle; 07-14-2010 at 06:12 AM. Reason: na
Old 07-13-2010, 02:35 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice shield, you just gave me a new project to do! Thanks for the idea!

Right now, I just wrap mine with reflective heat wrap tape,

although my starter has the same wrap around shield like you show
Old 07-13-2010, 03:45 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Looks good, kind of like the factory motor mount shields

BTW You can buy firesleeving for the lines
That's what we used over at Lycoming.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...0aeroquip.html
Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by LD85
Nice shield, you just gave me a new project to do! Thanks for the idea!
Glad it sparked some thought! One thing I did after posting these pics was to address my concern about fluttering.

Since the loose side was unattached, I was concerned that undercar turbulence might cause that loose side to "flutter". (And, by manually thumping the shield with my finger, I determined any rattle would be audible in the car.)

So, I did two things.

1) I put a rubber piece between the shield and the oil cooler angle bracket, then I screwed them together. (This is further up from the mounted point on that side.)

2) I drilled a hole at the top/front of the loose side. I used a zip-tie to wrap it around the block-to-cooler hose. After cinching it up, virually all movement was eliminated.

After thinking more about it this morning, I might remove that zip-tie and use an angle bracket to create stability for the outer side. I'm thinking that would be a better approach since it won't be pulled against (touching) the block-to-cooler hose. Direct contact is more likely to transfer the heat it's intended to shield.

======================================== ==============

Brian,
Thanks for the link. I'm surprise that shielding is so cheap. Spark plug socks weren't exactly free at the local auto parts shop! LOL (How would that shielding work/integrate with the hose clamps? Part of my choice to use a metal shield was to cover EVERYTHING in that area. I really wanted to shield the filter and cooler too!)

I kind of got the idea from looking at starter shielding. Besides the blanket I used, they also make a chrome "cover". It's pretty much the same kind of thing I made for the cooler with chrome plating. And, I don't think it even uses thermo tape/material.

My take is a metal shield (like this) is supposed to absorb the heat. And the layer of air between the shield and the object being protected becomes the "insulator".

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 07-13-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:04 AM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MK 82
What you have is better than nothing but a sleeve over the hose would be better and much easier to do. It was a nice fabricating job though.
Nice work but I agree with MK82.

It's a shield from the radiant heat , but could become a heat sink that stores heat as well? 6 of one or 1/2 doz. of another?

Either way I don't see it as an issue to loose sleep over. Oil lines have been coming out of that spot for Many Moons and I have never hear any issues at the track?

TJM
Old 07-14-2010, 11:04 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whom ever is doning you fabricating does some fine work. For its purpose that shield should work like a champ. Get that puppy all put back together.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:16 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by engle1147
Whom ever is doning you fabricating does some fine work. For its purpose that shield should work like a champ. Get that puppy all put back together.
So far, I've done my fabrication. Some things I've gone down new roads to complete. (O.K. most things.)

For people who think it will act like an oven, the pictures may not show how open it is -- especially on the top.

When a completely closed/sealed automobile is parked in the sun, temps rise about 20-30 degrees. If the "oven" affect is much smaller than that (considering the ends/top are open), I don't see my shield as having a negative affect -- especially since coolant and oil are both flowing thru the system. They're not sitting still. And, neither will the air behind the shield.

Get notified of new replies

To My oil cooler heat shield (etc...)

Old 07-14-2010, 03:09 PM
mgroshong
Pro

Very nice fit on that shield. But if i were to suggest anything it would be you put a small section of the sticky backed reflective heat tape on the side facing the header.

Unless i missed something, that's the only thing i could think of to improve it.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:54 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by mgroshong
Very nice fit on that shield. But if i were to suggest anything it would be you put a small section of the sticky backed reflective heat tape on the side facing the header.

Unless i missed something, that's the only thing i could think of to improve it.

I refer you to post #6.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:00 PM
mgroshong
Pro

Ah, yes i clearly did miss that. Good stuff greggpenn.

Quick Reply: My oil cooler heat shield (etc...)