Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine Sponsored by
J&D Corvette

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Red98C5
CF Senior Member

Default Large Tube TPI runners

I'm looking for help from anybody with the 1.75" runners made by AZSpeed (old Arizona Speed & Marine) or the TPIS large tube runners (which AZSpeed claims they make for TPIS) on their cars. On my car, an 89 auto, the biggest problem is the detent cable fitment. The runners I received have a smaller tube on each side, but the side that would have had the 9th injector on it has the tube blocked off with some form of rubbery filler in it, which seems to be factory installed but the real problem is that tube itself. This tube on the drivers side will not allow the detent cable to fit the bracket when on the inside of it, and if you try to fit the detent cable between it and the large runners, there is not enough room to pass the adjustment portion of the cable thru. It may be possible to route the "small end" that goes to the transmission between these tubes, but I don't even know if there is enough room for that to pass thru. I've called AZSpeed and emailed, and have not gotten a reply from either attempt...I guess customer service is not high on their list for these older cars...so I'd like to know if anybody else has had this problem. I'm still wondering if I received the 89 runners or if the runners I received are for the 9th injector style, although the AZSpeed website shows the tube on both sides.

2009 C6 Cpe - 3LT - A6 - Dual Tops - Nav - Perf Rear - NPP exhaust - Two tone Interior Cashmere/Ebony - Museum Delivery - Buyers Tour - Photo Album - Born 10/30/08. SOLD

98 Red Cpe, A4, [B]60'-1.51-11.300@120.44 (at 3542 lbs. !!!!) SOLD

2003 Electron Blue Cpe, Auto, ARH, K&N FIPK, 2.73, ZO-6 Catback 10.821 - 124.30 @ 3502 lbs. SOLD
Red98C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Aardwolf
CF Senior Member

The TV cable? It just goes under the plenum. Here are some pictures from mine:

Click the image to open in full size.

Aardwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
GREGGPENN
CF Senior Member

greggpennington

I think it's likely they have one mold for each side. And, when the later-style setup is ordered, you receive a set with the CSI tube filled. Sounds like what you're seeing.

I've seen lots of LT TPI setups modified with burrs/grinding to accomodate injectors, cables, etc... Can you file off enough to accomplish your goal? If the CSI tube is plugged (top & bottom) like it sounds, it wouldn't matter if you had to pierce the tube with your filing.

Looks sure, function no.
GREGGPENN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Red98C5
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardwolf View Post
The TV cable? It just goes under the plenum.
What brand runners do you have on your car in the pictures? I see your car is an 88, so you do have the 9th injector or did you delete it? Either way if you have the ASM/TPIS large tube runners then you also have the small tube under the large outer tubes on both sides (you can see it on the pass side photo but not the drivers side) and the end of the detent cable where you adjust it does not fit between that small tube and the large runners, did you install yours by removing it at the trans and sliding it thru that way?

2009 C6 Cpe - 3LT - A6 - Dual Tops - Nav - Perf Rear - NPP exhaust - Two tone Interior Cashmere/Ebony - Museum Delivery - Buyers Tour - Photo Album - Born 10/30/08. SOLD

2003 Electron Blue Cpe, Auto, ARH, K&N FIPK, 2.73, ZO-6 Catback 10.821 - 124.30 @ 3502 lbs. SOLD
Old 07-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Red98C5
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGGPENN View Post
I think it's likely they have one mold for each side. And, when the later-style setup is ordered, you receive a set with the CSI tube filled. Sounds like what you're seeing.

I've seen lots of LT TPI setups modified with burrs/grinding to accomodate injectors, cables, etc... Can you file off enough to accomplish your goal? If the CSI tube is plugged (top & bottom) like it sounds, it wouldn't matter if you had to pierce the tube with your filing.

Looks sure, function no.
That is what I was thinking of doing but I did not want to ruin $30 worth of gaskets to remove the runners after just getting them on.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
Red98C5
CF Senior Member

Aardwolf, PM sent on different subject.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
Aardwolf
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red98C5 View Post
What brand runners do you have on your car in the pictures? I see your car is an 88, so you do have the 9th injector or did you delete it? Either way if you have the ASM/TPIS large tube runners then you also have the small tube under the large outer tubes on both sides (you can see it on the pass side photo but not the drivers side) and the end of the detent cable where you adjust it does not fit between that small tube and the large runners, did you install yours by removing it at the trans and sliding it thru that way?
Those are the AS&M runners. I got rid of the 9th injector when I put those on. The little tube is hiding on the drivers side pictures. When the plenum was off I just set the TV cable down on the intake. It doesn't go around the little tube.
Aardwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
GREGGPENN
CF Senior Member

greggpennington

OR....

You could do a ZF6 conversion and you wouldn't NEED the TV cable!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
WW7
CF Senior Member

If what your saying is the top end of the TV cable won't go through the runners then thats normal..I couldn't get my cable through either,the head is to big, you have to pull the plenum to do it..I don't see why you would ruin the gaskets just unbolting and lifting the plenum, as long as you didn't glue them in place..I have pulled my plenum a few times and just put it back in and retorqued it..Thats why the top runners are cut at an angle, so you can pull the plenum without having to loosen the runners or destroying the gaskets...WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-19-2010 at 08:40 PM.
WW7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
GREGGPENN
CF Senior Member

greggpennington

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW7 View Post
Thats why the top runners are cut at an angle, so you can pull the plenum without having to loosen the runners or destroying the gaskets...WW
Guess it depends on whether you use "glue" on them. I can picture using anything from tabers, to silicone, to vaseline, to teflon paste to nothing for sealer on intake gaskets.

I'm leaning toward using silicone to "glue" the runner gaskets to the runners but leave them unglued to the base/plenum. OTOH, I like the idea of putting teflon, vaseline, anti-sieze, etc... on the other side to promote easier separation (with a bit of goo to fill any gaps).

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 07-19-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
WW7
CF Senior Member

What I do is use the spray tack on the side that goes on the runners, and nothing on the plenum side..Then when you unbolt the plenum you can lift it straight up and the gaskets stay on the runners without tearing.Your only sealing against low pressure air flow so you really shouldn't need glue .WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-19-2010 at 08:43 PM.
WW7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:33 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Large Tube TPI runners

Tags
asm, big, gaskets, large, made, making, oversized, runner, runners, runnerss, sale, setup, tpi, tpis, tube