C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98. Removing injectors from fuel rail

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 02:34 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default L98. Removing injectors from fuel rail

I will post this tip up here as someone may benefit from doing a search on this subject in the future.
I got new Bosch IIIs from FIC. When it came time to pull off the old injectors I was totally stumped. Tried everything except the BFH (Big Freakin Hammer). I finally called FIC and he told me to look at the tang that sticks out from the C clip that holds the injector on. He said to take needle nose pliers and rotate the tang as far as it will go in the other direction. Then firmly wiggle and pull the old injector out. Worked like a charm. Now on with the rest of the job.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:43 PM
The Corvetteman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
I will post this tip up here as someone may benefit from doing a search on this subject in the future.
I got new Bosch IIIs from FIC. When it came time to pull off the old injectors I was totally stumped. Tried everything except the BFH (Big Freakin Hammer). I finally called FIC and he told me to look at the tang that sticks out from the C clip that holds the injector on. He said to take needle nose pliers and rotate the tang as far as it will go in the other direction. Then firmly wiggle and pull the old injector out. Worked like a charm. Now on with the rest of the job.
Thanks for that. I will come to this very soon i think!

/Benny
Old 07-22-2010, 03:24 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

And, depending on the runners mounted (OEM or aftermarket), it's possible to change out injectors w/o removing the plenum/runners. That is,,,if you leave the clips OFF when reassembled.

Those clips were reportedly used for assembly purpose. The held the injectors in the rails until installed in vehicles.

Injectors won't malfunction or "fall out" if the clips are absent.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:46 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
And, depending on the runners mounted (OEM or aftermarket), it's possible to change out injectors w/o removing the plenum/runners. That is,,,if you leave the clips OFF when reassembled.

Those clips were reportedly used for assembly purpose. The held the injectors in the rails until installed in vehicles.

Injectors won't malfunction or "fall out" if the clips are absent.
Right. The FIC handout says not to use the clips when installing the Bosch IIIs.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:11 PM
MotorCity_87_C4
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My brother-in-law mechanic wouldn't listen to me about the tangs and got them out the old fashioned way. Watch out if the injectors are really old, the plastic tips on 3 broke off when I pulled the fuel rail straight up. I then spent an hour fishing 2 of the plastic injector nozzles out of the intake manifold. Notice I didn't get the third?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:19 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Right. The FIC handout says not to use the clips when installing the Bosch IIIs.
I don't think the Bosch III's will fit the clips anyway.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII

Also as a safety tip I found that even though I relieved the pressure in the fuel lines that the intake line weeps a bit and dribbles gasoline back down the outside of the line and onto the floor.
I returned home from work that night to a very strong odor of gasoline.
I had read somewhere on the Corvette troubleshooting web site about how to prevent this same problem when doing a fuel filter change.
They said to remove the rubber bib that surrounds the fuel filler and clamp off the rubber line with vise grips. I did this and the siphoning stopped. Now I feel much safer.
My next step is to remove the intake manifold and put on a used ported one that I bought from a member here. I am also installing some SLP runners and using a die grinder to port match my plenum to the runners.
While all this stuff is off I am putting on a used tach filter, new oil pressure sender, thermostat and EGR valve. Then on to the mixture of used and new performance exhaust parts I have laying around.
I am driving 10 hours each way to Corvettes at Carlisle in about 6 weeks so I sure hope I am doing everything correctly and do not bust off any bolts in the process.
I call this Corvette therapy.

Get notified of new replies

To L98. Removing injectors from fuel rail

Quick Reply: L98. Removing injectors from fuel rail