C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tune-Up gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:55 PM
fungames43232
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune-Up gone bad

So I have over 100k on the car and decided it would be a good idea to do a tune-up. Got a water pump (bearings were bad so glad I picked one up), spark plugs, plug wires, MSD coil, fuel filter and opti. Installed everything. That fuel filter is a pain. And now it won't start. It's something ignition. I have spark out of the coil, but not to the plugs. Is it possible I blew up the control module or installed the opti wrong. Is there a way to test the control module or which part it could possibly be?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:40 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

If you have spark from the coil but none to the plugs it indicates a problem with the cap or rotor. Did you remove the cap to inspect before you installed the Opti?

Last edited by toptechx6; 08-02-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:32 AM
fungames43232
Advanced

Sigh, I did not. The opti was new so I didn't take it apart. Guess I will have to take it all out again and check.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:08 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry, but not much else can cause what you describe. Let us know what you find, good luck.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:54 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by fungames43232
Sigh, I did not. The opti was new so I didn't take it apart. Guess I will have to take it all out again and check.
One of the steps I did when I changed the opti is to leave the water pump off, everything else hooked up and start the car. Its only going to run a few seconds.

What year is your LT1?
early years its easier to put the opti on wrong because its a missing tooth on the drive and a filled gap on the opti. If it didn't just "pop" on its probably off.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 AM
fungames43232
Advanced

Is it possible to screw up the ignition control module with an MSD coil?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 AM
fungames43232
Advanced

Originally Posted by jaa1992
One of the steps I did when I changed the opti is to leave the water pump off, everything else hooked up and start the car. Its only going to run a few seconds.

What year is your LT1?
early years its easier to put the opti on wrong because its a missing tooth on the drive and a filled gap on the opti. If it didn't just "pop" on its probably off.

Good point I will re-check that too. It's a 94 and yes it has keyed teeth.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it possible to screw up the ignition control module with an MSD coil?
I don't know the answer to this for sure but I can say that I had a MSD coil on mine and kept having ICM issues. I removed it and put a GM coil back on and so far so good.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 AM
fungames43232
Advanced

Originally Posted by Weav's Vet
I don't know the answer to this for sure but I can say that I had a MSD coil on mine and kept having ICM issues. I removed it and put a GM coil back on and so far so good.
So just to confirm, were you having to replace ICM's or did just changing back to GM coil fix it? Replacing an ICM or coil is much easier than getting to that opti.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

And now it won't start. It's something ignition. I have spark out of the coil,
How far out of the coil? Did you check to see if you had spark going into the opti at the opti end of the coil wire? The opti end of the coil wire can be a pain to get all the way in sometimes.

So just to confirm, were you having to replace ICM's or did just changing back to GM coil fix it? Replacing an ICM or coil is much easier than getting to that opti.
I replaced both the ICM and the coil at the same time so I can't answer that for sure. Sorry. The ICMs are finicky about voltage. The OE coil is more than enough spark for your motor. With the MSD coil I seemed to have my fair share of ignition problems.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:15 AM
fungames43232
Advanced

How far out of the coil? Did you check to see if you had spark going into the opti at the opti end of the coil wire? The opti end of the coil wire can be a pain to get all the way in sometimes.

I replaced both the ICM and the coil at the same time so I can't answer that for sure. Sorry. The ICMs are finicky about voltage. The OE coil is more than enough spark for your motor. With the MSD coil I seemed to have my fair share of ignition problems.
Your right it is a pain to get in the opti, but that is where I checked it. I go grab a coil and ICM today and just replace both. Glad I still have my artic silver from back in my computer hardware days.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Your right it is a pain to get in the opti, but that is where I checked it. I go grab a coil and ICM today and just replace both. Glad I still have my artic silver from back in my computer hardware days.
It's been my experience to look at the things you last changed to find the problem. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll be one of those two.

Opti's have been know to be bad out of the box too. What kind did you get?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:50 AM
fungames43232
Advanced

It's been my experience to look at the things you last changed to find the problem. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll be one of those two.

Opti's have been know to be bad out of the box too. What kind did you get?

Got one off ebay because they said it had a warrenty, so I figured it must be ok. Ill get a new coil and ICM and see how that goes first.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:20 AM
fungames43232
Advanced

Got her started last night. Lesson learned. I took the ICM to the auto parts store to have it tested. It tested bad. Put the new on in (along with a normal coil) and it started right up. Mind you the car ran fine before the tune up. The guy at the auto parts store said not to mix MSD ignition stuff with stock stuff. He stated he has seen this issue before when customers add MSD coils and took out the ICM. Now just have to figure out what codes I am throwing. Have to research the paper clip more.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Glad it was the ICM.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:45 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Got her started last night. Lesson learned. I took the ICM to the auto parts store to have it tested. It tested bad. Put the new on in (along with a normal coil) and it started right up. Mind you the car ran fine before the tune up. The guy at the auto parts store said not to mix MSD ignition stuff with stock stuff. He stated he has seen this issue before when customers add MSD coils and took out the ICM. Now just have to figure out what codes I am throwing. Have to research the paper clip more.
Here's the link. It'll help you get your ECM codes in the future.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1994993
Old 08-03-2010, 01:16 PM
fungames43232
Advanced

sweet thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Tune-Up gone bad

Old 08-03-2010, 07:38 PM
fungames43232
Advanced

Took her for a quick spin and the code went out. Unfortunately it now has a miss at idle. I should have left it alone LOL.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Took her for a quick spin and the code went out. Unfortunately it now has a miss at idle. I should have left it alone LOL.
Crank it up and let it idle. Pull each injector plug off until you find the one that doesn't change the the rpm of the motor. Then you can start checking that cylinder to see what is wrong. Most likely a wire or bad plug. Could even be a injector.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:49 PM
fungames43232
Advanced

good plan. I think I'm going to make a few runs on the freeway and see if she settles down first then Ill start pulling injectors.

Quick Reply: Tune-Up gone bad