C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

what is the best brake booster to buy?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
littleredcorvette88
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what is the best brake booster to buy?

So I replaced my old broken brake booster with a new one from autozone...i think it is just a junk rebuilt one because the car doesnt run right with the new booster installed after 2 days of it being installed it started with the problems

any ideas where to get a new not a rebuilt brake booster from that will last and work for more than 2 days?

thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

try summit racing - they have an A1-Cardone rebuilt unit for about $160 + core. dont know if its better than the autozone units though. other than that, your best bet would be an AC Delco unit, but the price is somewhere north of $350.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:47 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

If you search on this topic you'll find out that you are not alone. Other members bought aftermarket boosters and it/they was/were not working properly.

If I was you I would buy an OEM one
Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
try summit racing - they have an A1-Cardone rebuilt unit for about $160 + core. dont know if its better than the autozone units though. other than that, your best bet would be an AC Delco unit, but the price is somewhere north of $350.
I'd say that Cardone is the same one as Autozone.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:33 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by littleredcorvette88
So I replaced my old broken brake booster with a new one from autozone...i think it is just a junk rebuilt one because the car doesnt run right with the new booster installed after 2 days of it being installed it started with the problems

any ideas where to get a new not a rebuilt brake booster from that will last and work for more than 2 days?

thanks
My original booster just went. I got the Cardone from Autozone. I plan to install it in a few days. I hope it works.

Corvette Central does sell a metal booster. Don't know if it is new or rebuilt. But something to look at before you spend $400+ for an AC Delco booster. I've heard good things on the metal boosters.

When you say your car doesn't work right. Can you be more specific? Is it brake related, or something engine related? Because if it was engine related, then that would make me think of the check valve as that can cause a vacuum leak. The Cardones do come with a stupid 3 port check valve where two of the ports have to be plugged.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Recently installed a rebuilt metal booster from NAPA

$108.96 + tax & 15.00 core charge.

Last edited by Churchkey; 08-04-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:34 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

I have read of people having problems with there boosters after installing headers , because of the heat put out by the headers it has been suggesed by a few people to install the metal boosters in there place.If you have headers I wouldn't install a plastic booster...WW

Last edited by WW7; 08-04-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed a metal booster from Napa a few years ago. It was cheap and still works great. The only problem is that it's starting to rust a bit.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 AM
JimiHendrix
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I just installed a plastic booster after my header pipes cracked the old one. I made a heat shield out of a few layers of heavy aluminum foil. It is tucked out of sight and it works great! I smoothened it and painted it black so you wouldnt know it waS there unless I told you.

Originally Posted by WW7
I have read of people having problems with there boosters after installing headers , because of the heat put out by the headers it has been suggesed by a few people to install the metal boosters in there place.If you have headers I wouldn't install a plastic booster...WW
Old 08-04-2010, 09:09 AM
littleredcorvette88
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so the day i had the booster installed the car ran fine idled like it did before the install etc.

the next day the car would just stall out instantly when i turned the key so after messing around with it i have found out what i need to do for the car to run

the new booster has the stupid 3 port check valve so everymorning i have to pop the hood pull off the hose from the check valve that comes from the intake and leave the 3rd port uncapped

so at this point i have the hose disconnected the top valve capped the 3rd valve uncapped and i start the car like this

after the car is running for a minute i reconnect the hose to the check valve and leave one port uncapped and the 3rd port capped

if i cap all the ports the car will instantly stall out so i have to leave the 3rd port open which in return makes the brakes not to function properly since the 3rd valve is open

when i picked the car up from the install all the ports were closed like they should be and the car ran fine but within a couple days it started running like crap.

Italked to the guy that installed it and he feels that the brake booster is just a crappy rebuild.

I also tried a new original check valve and that also caused the car to stall out instantly

I dont know what to do

any advice would be helpful

Thanks
Old 08-04-2010, 11:30 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you buy part #54-71401 from Autozone which is the same Booster manufactured by PBR Girling or ATE that are sold by most Corvette vendors?

If not, I'd return the Booster and buy the correct Booster at NAPA or any of the Corvette Vendors here.

Last edited by GKK; 08-04-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:34 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GKK
Did you buy part #54-71401 from Autozone which is the same Booster manufactured by PBR Girling or ATE that are sold by most Corvette vendors?

If not, I'd return the Booster and buy the correct Booster at NAPA or any of the Corvette Vendors here.
The one at Autozone is a rebuilt Cardone. I've got one for my 89 and it too has a universal 3 port check valve with 2 of the ports capped off.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:37 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Recently installed a rebuilt metal booster from NAPA

$108.96 + tax & 15.00 core charge.
Is this the part number you used at Napa?

54-71401

As the booster they have listed on their site is plastic and is the same pic as the plastic Cardone from Autozone. But maybe they are getting in the metal ones and haven't updated the site.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:44 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by littleredcorvette88
ok so the day i had the booster installed the car ran fine idled like it did before the install etc.

the next day the car would just stall out instantly when i turned the key so after messing around with it i have found out what i need to do for the car to run

the new booster has the stupid 3 port check valve so everymorning i have to pop the hood pull off the hose from the check valve that comes from the intake and leave the 3rd port uncapped

so at this point i have the hose disconnected the top valve capped the 3rd valve uncapped and i start the car like this

after the car is running for a minute i reconnect the hose to the check valve and leave one port uncapped and the 3rd port capped

if i cap all the ports the car will instantly stall out so i have to leave the 3rd port open which in return makes the brakes not to function properly since the 3rd valve is open

when i picked the car up from the install all the ports were closed like they should be and the car ran fine but within a couple days it started running like crap.

Italked to the guy that installed it and he feels that the brake booster is just a crappy rebuild.

I also tried a new original check valve and that also caused the car to stall out instantly

I dont know what to do

any advice would be helpful

Thanks
I've never heard of that before. Usually the check valve can cause a vacuum leak. But it sounds like your engine is needing a vacuum leak in order to run. So, to me it would sound like engine related like maybe your IAC is stuck in the closed position thus blocking off air causing it to stall unless you provide a vacuum leak somewhere else.

But I'm not a mechanic and only guessing. But it sounds engine related as it is my understanding that you should be able to plug the booster hose on the engine side, and the car run fine.

What you could try is with the booster hose off the check valve and car running. Stick your finger in the booster hose to block off the air and see if it stalls. I believe it should still run fine with your finger in that hose. If it stalls just by putting your finger in the hose. Maybe you could report that to your mechanic to see what he says.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
Is this the part number you used at Napa?

54-71401

As the booster they have listed on their site is plastic and is the same pic as the plastic Cardone from Autozone. But maybe they are getting in the metal ones and haven't updated the site.
The part # on the sales receipt is:

NBB 54-71401
Old 08-05-2010, 03:12 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Churchkey
The part # on the sales receipt is:

NBB 54-71401
I just looked again on Napa's site. And they show a plastic booster in the pic. But in the description it says:

"Cast Iron Units Premium Phosphate Coated To Extend On-Car & On-Shelf Life.; 100% OE Quality Seals, Diaphragms & Check Valves Are Installed On Every Unit For OE Performance & Reliability."

Though, I checked with Napa, and it appears that too is a Cardone. Though, it is hard to tell from what it says in their computers, and what they actually get.

Last edited by samsonb; 08-05-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To what is the best brake booster to buy?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what is the best brake booster to buy?