C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Exhaust Problems

I have a 91 6 speed.

I noticed my exhaust hanging low last week, so i did some research and ordered an exhaust insulator/hanger from napa. (part # 35241)

I installed it from the mount on the rear Y pipe and bolted it up to the C beam where there was a single hole. It was a very tight fit and stretched to fit.

I went to take the car for a ride, and i hear clink clink clunk...look in the rear view and my muffler is bouncing in the median strip. I go recover it and enjoy the nice exhaust sound on the ride home. The stock muffler broke at the point where it is welded to the prebent piece of pipe which clamps to the rear Y Pipe. The rubber strap insulator hanger/mount also broke which caused the muffler to drop and break off.

Over the summer, i purchased a Accel Super Ram w/ accel base, 219/219 cam, TPIS CNC'd AFR heads, TPIS Long tube headers w/ Y pipe, and a 58mm throttle body. I planned on purchasing a high flow cat and a Corsa Cat Back system.

I purchased the corsa system yesterday. I liked the reviews on it, and this car is a summer DD, so i dont want to deal with resonance on the highway.

I removed the rest of the exhaust system, including the cat. The cat is not stock, and seems like it was half-assed. The mufflers did not fit into their mounting grommets/hangers all the way, and were all off angled in relation to each other and the bumper.

What I am trying to do is fix all of this in one shot. Buy a new cat with the air tube (preferred) and install the cat back system for the rest of the summer until the car goes on jack stands between Oct and Nov for the install of the motor parts.

Is there a cat which will fit the stock Y pipe and the TPIS Y pipe for later on? At this point, price is not an option for the cat. Air tube is preferred.

As far as exhaust hangers. I am going to buy another one from NAPA, and the one that holds the cat/front Y pipe also looks kind of cobbled. I do not want to see $900+ bouncing on the road behind me. Does anyone have part numbers for the cat/front Y pipe? Or a better solution for mounting the exhaust? On the C beam, is there a bracket that is bolted to it then the insulator mounts to that? Or is it a straight shot from the C Beam to the Rear Y?

Any info or advice is much appreciated. I hope to buy the cat tomorrow so I can have it by later in the week. The Corsa will be here wednesday or Thursday.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by Deepa; 08-15-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:05 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I would get a complete system from one place instead of trying to match parts from different vendors.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:38 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pkazsr
I would get a complete system from one place instead of trying to match parts from different vendors.
If the main cat hasn't been screwed up it should be a bolt on. You can get a stock type cat with air tube at all the Corvette catalogs as well as the hangers. Try Corvette Central they have decent on line pictures.

CC has one for $159

Last edited by BADDUCK; 08-15-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Its a little late for one complete system...

I already have the long tubes and y pipe from TPIS, and a cat back from Corsa. The only part left is the cat, and this motor will be a 383 someday, so i want to get the right one now.

I'll look @ CC, but i was hoping there would be better options out there.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:30 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Sent you a PM about how to find this info on another forum.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:51 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Deepa
Its a little late for one complete system...

I already have the long tubes and y pipe from TPIS, and a cat back from Corsa. The only part left is the cat, and this motor will be a 383 someday, so i want to get the right one now.

I'll look @ CC, but i was hoping there would be better options out there.
Go to the Magnaflow site then find your vendor.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

I am looking at the Magnaflow High-Performance one. Part number 93941. Any input?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

I also called up a dealer trying to find the center cat hanger.

I got a part number of 10165305 which has been discontinued.

What have you guys used to replace it? I see one that looks similar off of the ZR1's...has the same mount to the transmission and has 2 springs which would attach to an exhaust clamp "U".

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-16-2010, 07:19 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Deepa
I am looking at the Magnaflow High-Performance one. Part number 93941. Any input?
I bought the high flow universal one with the air tube and had the cat welded on. The shop can make you up a hanger. IIRC I paid $65.00 on eBay. It's 3" in and 3" out. I forget the length.

#94019 $74

Last edited by BADDUCK; 08-16-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Problems

Quick Reply: Exhaust Problems