C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New valve covers and rocker arm upgrade on LT1...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 PM
LT1*C4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Default New valve covers and rocker arm upgrade on LT1...

PART 1:

I recently decided to upgrade the stamped steel rockers on my LT1 with some aluminum 1.6 roller rockers instead. 1.6's have always been good for 10-12rwhp on previous vehicles I've owned (one of them, an LT1 like in my C4) so I decided to take the plunge.

I've always used Crane's "Gold-Race" rockers in the past with great results but decided to try something else for a change.

That's when I came across these "Scorpian" brand rockers. They've been around for a while and I know they've been really popular with the Mustang crowd so I decided to look into them further and see if they offered anything for my application.

To my surprise, they actually did make self-aligning, narrow body rocker arms for late model GM small blocks. Not only that, but they're 100% US made and come with a lifetime warranty.

Seemed like a no-brainer so I placed an order right away.

When they arrived, I was not disappointed. They appear to be a great quality piece and look every bit as good as the Cranes I've always run in the past. I ordered them with a "clear" finish as apposed to the standard "blue anodized" finish Scorpians are known for. They also offer different colors as well if you want something different.

As for my stock Magnesium valve covers, I was aware that I'd have to grind off the drip tabs on the insides to get them to fit over the new rockers but after close inspection of the stock covers, I decided against it. The magnesium was looking pretty worn out and ragged. The casting was pretty rough and I decided rather than spending time trying to pretty them up, I'd buy new ones instead. Taller ones so I'd have all the clearance I could want.

I don't like the looks of many aftermarket center-bolt valve covers but these ProForm covers really caught my eye. They come in polished, black crinkle and chrome.

The ones you see here are the chrome ones. They're a tad bit pricey, especially compared to the black or polished ones ProForm offers, but in my opinion, look better than the black ones, and are much easier to maintain then the polished ones. I also ordered a pair of matching chrome oil caps as well.

When the new valve covers and matching oil caps arrived, I was blown away by their looks. Pictures do not do these covers justice. They look like mirrors in person and the bright red "Bow-Tie" and black lettered "Chevrolet" really pop out. These things look awesome!

As many of you know, aftermarket covers won't fit the LT1 cars. This is because there is clearance issues with the back of the alternator as well as the alternator bracket itself. Not a big deal. The bracket can by shimmed, and the alternator housing shaved for the required clearance.

As soon as I get the time, I'll be doing the install and will be sure to update this thread with pic's of the installation.

By the way, I also picked up a set of new GM LT4 springs, caps, locks, new valve stem seals, and valve cover gaskets to do the job right. Can't wait to get this stuff one!

Stay tuned...

UPDATE:

Just test-fitted the new valve covers. The passenger side fit in easily and without issue (as expected) but the drivers side needed a bit of work to get it in there (as expected)...

In order to gain clearance for the taller cover, the back of the alternator housing on the drivers side had to be shaved down a bit. I ended up using a grinder with a sanding wheel to get the required clearance. There was a lot of trial and error as I didn't want to take off more than I needed so it took a while to shave off the right amount but in the end, the alternator now clears (just by a tad) and there's no contact.

The next part of the clearance problem was the alternator support bracket. It had to be shimmed up nearly 3/4" higher where it attaches to the intake manifold in or order for the taller cover to clear. I ended up using 2 washers and a pair of stainless nuts. Now the bracket sits about 1/8" higher than the valve cover so there's no longer any issues with clearance there either.

The problem was, after shimming one side higher, at least one of the bolt holes on the other side of the bracket (for the AC compressor and alternator) would no longer line up. Either I could secure the bracket to the alternator or the AC compressor but not both.

After a failed attempt to "elongate" the hole for the alternator on the bracket (to get it to line up to the alternator) I took the chance and secured the bracket only to the AC compressor. I was worried I might get a vibration at certain RPM's with the bracket not secured on the alternator side, but after 3 days and just over 650km of travel, I'm happy to report there's no vibration at all. I even ran the car with the heating on and tried the air conditioning and all is well

I'm going to continue to drive it like this and if no issues come up, I'm just gonna keep it the way it is. No sense in messing with something if it doesn't need fixing...

Later on, I ended up grinding off the section of the bracket that had the hole for the alternator, so that it's not noticeable that a bolt is missing as it would have been if the an empty hole was left with no bolt going through it.

You can see for yourself how it looks and like I said, no issues at all with the alternator not being secured to the bracket. It's already secured at 2 other points anyway so all should be well.

The valve covers came out looking really nice and really cleaned up the engine compartment. Even though they're not exactly a "drop-in" installation, I'm more than happy with them and would recommend them to anyone.

Now I just need to find the time to do those rocker arms!

Stay tuned...

Last edited by LT1*C4; 09-09-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:16 AM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me know if you feel a SOTP difference while driving under WOT.Are they noisy or any drawbacks?I'm interestedAfter install of course
Old 08-17-2010, 02:30 AM
uptown193
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice mods. I am just wondering why GM Performance parts are being made in Germany and not the USA. This is why there are no jobs in this country. Anyway post pics during the install.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:49 AM
rinosaur
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I'm thinking about a 1.6 rr with lt4 springs myself. Definitely tell us how it feels and sounds. Also not to hijack but does anyone know if the stock composite covers will need to be modified to fit 1.6s?
Old 08-17-2010, 02:56 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice !
Old 08-17-2010, 08:00 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by rinosaur
Wow I'm thinking about a 1.6 rr with lt4 springs myself. Definitely tell us how it feels and sounds. Also not to hijack but does anyone know if the stock composite covers will need to be modified to fit 1.6s?
They can be modified, just a little trimming required. I used an air body saw. Car revs more freely with 1.6RR and LT4 springs in the top end. It feels more meaningful to rev it and there is a SOTP difference. How much is hard to say, not much. I attribute most of the new found revability to the new springs.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgtp
They can be modified, just a little trimming required. I used an air body saw. Car revs more freely with 1.6RR and LT4 springs in the top end. It feels more meaningful to rev it and there is a SOTP difference. How much is hard to say, not much. I attribute most of the new found revability to the new springs.
I picked up 16 rwhp when I did my 1.6 rr's and LT4 springs. I used Comp Cams Pro Magnum rockers. It's one of the better mods you can do to your engine.

I used this to remove the drip tabs on my composite covers. Took about 5 minutes.

OP......I like those valve covers!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Nick DL
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice valve covers.Looking forward to the updates, hopefully with plenty of pictures.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:42 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rinosaur
My son's stock 96 covers needed NO MOD whatsoever, and he's running 1.7/1.65 Scorpions, FULL-BODIED, NSA versions for 7/16" stud. They're mounted on DART PRO`1s.

NOT the narrow body, Self-Aligning versions.

Jake

Last edited by JAKE; 08-17-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nick DL
Nice valve covers.Looking forward to the updates, hopefully with plenty of pictures.
The covers (at least the ones I'm running) are licensed to ProForm by GM.

High quality stuff.

Jake
Old 08-17-2010, 11:54 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome! I always wanted to do this but I am afraid of the spring replacement part!!! What method are you going to use? Those are too purdy to cover up with valve covers
Old 08-31-2010, 01:10 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Where'd you get your rockers and springs from? How much they go for? I was looking at the same ones for my L98
Old 08-31-2010, 01:41 PM
LT1*C4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by armybyrd
Where'd you get your rockers and springs from? How much they go for? I was looking at the same ones for my L98
The LT4 springs I picked up from Jegs for about $40. The rockers I ended up getting directly from Scorpian's website for $260. You can get them from Summit for $20 cheaper ($239) but at the time I was about to place an order for them from Summit, they were out of stock and wouldn't be getting them in for a month.

I ended up just paying the extra $20 and getting them directly from Scopians website. Less waiting, and at least you could order them in different colours! The part number for the narrow body,self aligning rockers is SCP1036BL (for the blue anodized ones) or check out Scorpians website for other finishes.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:23 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks I appreciate the quick response. Also look forward to hearing results from how your install went.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:28 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

FlatlanderRacing $222 I bought two sets of Scorpion RRs from them.

Jake
Old 08-31-2010, 03:34 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by uptown193
Nice mods. I am just wondering why GM Performance parts are being made in Germany and not the USA. This is why there are no jobs in this country. Anyway post pics during the install.
One word .. Unions

Get notified of new replies

To New valve covers and rocker arm upgrade on LT1...

Quick Reply: New valve covers and rocker arm upgrade on LT1...