C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Noisy lifters after bebuilt LT1 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Sugarray_11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy lifters after bebuilt LT1 Engine

Hello,
I have a 1994 Corvette with an LT1 Engine. Recently I rebuilt (boarded) out the whole engine at a respectful shop around my city.
Long story short I got my car back. I feel it's got more horse power the only problem I have is that it has noisy lifters. The shop told me to use cheap oil for the next 500 miles and then for me to get another oil change after that with maybe better quality motor oil. They also mentioned that after maybe 8,000 miles I can start using synthetic motor oil (normally mobil 1). Now my question is why the noisy lifters?
Is it because of the cheap oil and also because I need to get it flushed out? I'm wondering if I need to take it back and have that problem fixed. I paid $1900 bucks for the rebuilt. They used all new parts...
Old 08-18-2010, 04:02 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

congratulatiohs on your rebuild. the simplest would be to readjust the valves now that the engines been run.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Sugarray_11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I forgot to mention that right before I picked it up it had noisy lifters. They adjusted them and it did quiet down a bit. Week later they got loud again...
Old 08-19-2010, 12:00 AM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

I think not enought preload on the lifters. Sometimes if you only take them a 1/4 turn past zero lash, they can be a little noisey. I always go 1/2 past zero lash. And sometimes roller rockers can be a little noisey with everything set up right. If there is something else wrong in the valvetrain, that can make noise. But this is assuming the valves just need a little more preload.

Get notified of new replies

To Noisy lifters after bebuilt LT1 Engine

Quick Reply: Noisy lifters after bebuilt LT1 Engine