C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1991 Tach Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 12:37 PM
Thumper.DCS
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I need your help! Both the 200K and 300K resistors come in different wattages. So, can someone help me out here and tell me what wattage the resistors should be? I really appreciate any and all info you could supply.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:50 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I need your help! Both the 200K and 300K resistors come in different wattages. So, can someone help me out here and tell me what wattage the resistors should be? I really appreciate any and all info you could supply.
I just stepped into this thread, and going through everything for some future reference. I really need to read everything to get up to speed.

if you don't have the answer by now, here's my 2-cents. not sure what the voltage is across the two pins on the integrated circuit, but using both 200K and 300K resistance values, and 12 VDC (just a guess, but most likely 5VDC), using simple ohm's law, the power (in watts) calculates either .48 or .72 milliwatts (for the 200K and 300K values). I'd say an 1/8W resistor would be more than enough.

hope this helps -
Old 06-18-2015, 08:35 PM
Thumper.DCS
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resistor question: C4 tach repair

Originally Posted by Joe C
I just stepped into this thread, and going through everything for some future reference. I really need to read everything to get up to speed.

if you don't have the answer by now, here's my 2-cents. not sure what the voltage is across the two pins on the integrated circuit, but using both 200K and 300K resistance values, and 12 VDC (just a guess, but most likely 5VDC), using simple ohm's law, the power (in watts) calculates either .48 or .72 milliwatts (for the 200K and 300K values). I'd say an 1/8W resistor would be more than enough.

hope this helps -
Thanks Joe: It's good when you get two responses that match! On another thread, a long time member came up with the same result. Now I feel confident that I will get the right parts....then comes the real fun.

Thanks again, Dave S.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:56 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I know this is an older thread, but having said that.

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Unless I can measure the resistance of this chip on a known-good cluster (or have somebody else who is interested in helping the DIY community do it for me with their known-good cluster ), then I can never know whether my particular issue was due to a bad resistor, or I simply did a "band-aid" fix by changing that resistor value.
As soon as I find the dash connector I need for my dash change project, I will be removing the cluster from my 93, and can measure the resister.

Quick Reply: 1991 Tach Repair