C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AC Conversion Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:31 PM
ccorvetteracing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC Conversion Questions

I am thinking about converting my 92 vettes ac from R-12 to R-134. What all do you have to do to convert it? Thanks
Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

First, if you have no problems I would not convert! Keep your R12 till it escapes or you have problems with it and need to open it up.

You need to rent (or buy) a AC vacuum pump, and a decent set of AC gauges and buy an R134 conversion kit. It contains the R134 cans, ester, and conversion fittings.

First, fix whatever problems caused you to loose your R12. It is a highly recommended that you replace the receiver dryer with a fresh one.

First, I would say if you have no problems I would not convert! Keep your R12 until you loose it.

Install the new dryer. This is the best time to add the needed amount of new oil. Install the conversion fittings. Let the vacuum pump draw the system down for a while. Then let it sit and make sure there are no leaks (air gets in). Start the engine and you will need to short out the low pressure switch to engage the compressor. Let it draw in the correct amount of ester oil and R134 until the low pressure gauge says it is full.

The key is to make sure you put in the correct amount of ester oil, and the right amount of R134. Too much or too little of either and you can have failures.

Last edited by Flame Red; 06-01-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What Red said. If your system is sound and simply needs a boost stay with R12.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:10 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffin
What Red said. If your system is sound and simply needs a boost stay with R12.
most people do the switch once they have a major component failure. Rent, buy or borrow the tools. As mentioned at a minimum you'd need a new dryer/accumulator, oriface tube, "o" ring set and a compliant 134a ester oil. A complete system "flush" is the best way to go as old pag oil will/would not really be compatible with the new stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To AC Conversion Questions

Quick Reply: AC Conversion Questions