C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Some on the forum have questioned me when I suggested using a ZZ4 in your C4

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 05:10 PM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some on the forum have questioned me when I suggested using a ZZ4 in your C4

I said I've seen ZZ4s in C3s and C4s doing about 400 hp at the flywheel. Ch@os questioned that and said there was no way. Read these two articles. The one article ultimately got 527 hp from a ZZ4 crate engine. It was a radical change to get 527 HP.

The other article said for under $1000 with a cam change you can get over 400 hp. There are many other articles on the web showing 400 hp+ from a ZZ4 crate engine. A lot of C3 owners are pulling out their week L82s and replacing them with ZZ4s. It has been done on many L98 C4s using the TPI. It probably could be done on a CFI. I only suggested it and didn't know I was going to get racked over the coals for this suggestion. If you got the money and want the power this is a viable solution. Top Flight Corvette in San Diego said he pulled out an LT1 and replaced it with a ZZ4 with TPI and used the '91 ECM in a C4.

Read these articles:
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ild/index.html.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4182837AAOlz9c

Last edited by mundo; 10-14-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:29 PM
steven mack
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For the Chevy High perfomance article all they used is the block and crank.The rest were after market parts.To get the ZZ4 to make good power you would need to change the cam,port the heads and add bigger valves or different heads. If you do that it's not a ZZ4 anymore.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:35 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by steven mack
For the Chevy High perfomance article all they used is the block and crank.The rest were after market parts.To get the ZZ4 to make good power you would need to change the cam,port the heads and add bigger valves or different heads. If you do that it's not a ZZ4 anymore.
If you take a stock L98 and change all those things you will get close to the same HP..No one said the ZZ4 wasn't a good engine, its just alot of money to pay for what you get..Why would you want to buy a ZZ4 and then change all those parts, better off buying a block and putting what you want in it, its a lot cheaper....WW

Last edited by WW7; 10-14-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:45 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
If you take a stock L98 and change all those things you will get close to the same HP..No one said the ZZ4 wasn't a good engine, its just alot of money to pay for what you get..Why would you want to buy a ZZ4 and then change all those parts, better off buying a block and putting what you want in it, its a lot cheaper....WW
Old 10-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Why pay attention to others? If you are building something, have at it. If you are just bench racing, have at that too.

Get notified of new replies

To Some on the forum have questioned me when I suggested using a ZZ4 in your C4

Quick Reply: Some on the forum have questioned me when I suggested using a ZZ4 in your C4