C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Are inner tie rod ends adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 12:33 AM
espop125
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Are inner tie rod ends adjustable?

I just put a new AC Delco steering rack on my 1986 Z51 Corvette and I think something is wrong. I have an appointment for a alignment in 4 days but when I put the new rack in I tried to get the front toe as close as I can with the wheel straight but I dont have enough treads on the driver side to toe in the wheels. Are the inner tie rod ends adjustable so that the alignment shop can get it right or is my rack need exchanged. Also when I turn to the left the wheel turns way more than it should and to the right not enough.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:24 AM
danno85
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only adjustment is where the outer tie rod end screws onto the inner. There is something not right with your replacement steering rack.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Ape0r
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds kind of like you didn't have the rack set straight when you attached it to the steering column. Attaching it a turn or two off would create exactly the condition you describe.

Not having seen the hardware, my advice would be to disconnect the steering column from the rack, set the steering wheel and rack straight, and then reattach. When I say set rack straight, you should have equal extension on both sides from the rack housing.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:24 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

When I say set rack straight, you should have equal extension on both sides from the rack housing.
With the outer ends disconneted comlpletly!

Another easy way is to count the turns from lock to lock then use a marker on the shaft and rack and to hard lock in one direction and then go half the travel in the other direction make a straight ahead mark and then do the tie rod ends to get toe with the wheels pointing straight ahead.
Dave
Old 10-24-2010, 12:40 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

If your rack is for a regular C4, putting it in a a Z51 car will give you that problem of more turns to one side than the other.
You need a steering shaft from the column to the rack from a base car because the bolt to lock it onto the rack is in a different position on a Z51 rack. Or go get the right rack. They sold you one for a base car.

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 10-24-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:38 PM
espop125
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I double checked and the rack is centered but still have this problem. What I think gm did is put the wrong inner tie rod end on the driver side because it looks different and is longer than the passenger side
Old 10-24-2010, 08:38 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by espop125
I double checked and the rack is centered but still have this problem. What I think gm did is put the wrong inner tie rod end on the driver side because it looks different and is longer than the passenger side
It wouldn't be GM. It would be whoever the lowest bidder was to AC Delco. I think the AC Delco racks are just rebuilds.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:58 PM
falconxls
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you buy the R & P from? I have been looking for one myself and was told that the later model C$ I think 90 - 96 used longer inner tie rods. I don't know if this is true.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:10 AM
glava2876
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by espop125
I just put a new AC Delco steering rack on my 1986 Z51 Corvette and I think something is wrong. I have an appointment for a alignment in 4 days but when I put the new rack in I tried to get the front toe as close as I can with the wheel straight but I dont have enough treads on the driver side to toe in the wheels. Are the inner tie rod ends adjustable so that the alignment shop can get it right or is my rack need exchanged. Also when I turn to the left the wheel turns way more than it should and to the right not enough.
I went through this earlier in the year with a NAPA rebuilt rack. I intsalled the rack and from center it had about 1/2 turn more one way than the other.
This must be a real problem, because NAPA has a separate PN for the Z/51 and Non Z/51 rack
They sent me a replacement and I bench tested it before installing and it had the same problem.
I eventually spoke with the NAPA helpline and the rebuilders and they finally bench checked a third one and sent it -it was fine.
I'll bet that there are other Corvettes out there that have the wrong rack -which you can still align, but won't turn as far one way vs the other.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:58 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by glava2876
I went through this earlier in the year with a NAPA rebuilt rack. I intsalled the rack and from center it had about 1/2 turn more one way than the other.
This must be a real problem, because NAPA has a separate PN for the Z/51 and Non Z/51 rack
They sent me a replacement and I bench tested it before installing and it had the same problem.
I eventually spoke with the NAPA helpline and the rebuilders and they finally bench checked a third one and sent it -it was fine.
I'll bet that there are other Corvettes out there that have the wrong rack -which you can still align, but won't turn as far one way vs the other.
Was that a matter of they rebuilt it wrong, or gave you the wrong steering ratio rack?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:56 PM
glava2876
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
Was that a matter of they rebuilt it wrong, or gave you the wrong steering ratio rack?
As I recall, they were rebuilt wrong -internally they were not centered correctly -they have marks to line up or something?
Again, they made it right, but I still had to do all thework!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...last-call.html
Old 10-25-2010, 03:18 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by glava2876
As I recall, they were rebuilt wrong -internally they were not centered correctly -they have marks to line up or something?
Again, they made it right, but I still had to do all thework!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...last-call.html
I believe those Napa racks are Cardone.

Get notified of new replies

To Are inner tie rod ends adjustable?

Quick Reply: Are inner tie rod ends adjustable?