C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Latest Ricer topic: Compression Ratio's

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 02:46 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Latest Ricer topic: Compression Ratio's

My roomate is a ricer. He wasn't that way when I moved in, but he has very slowly transgressed. He has a Nissan 240SX, that handles like a dream, but is underpowered as heck.

He's rebuilding a 1962 Volvo right now, and at least is putting a V8 into it, even if it is only 3.4 liters. A low compression(8.8:1) motor is about $500, pulled out of whatever car it comes out of. Makes something like 160 hp. The High compression one, which seems identical in every way, makes 180 hp, has a CR of 10.4:1, and costs on average, $1200. Of course, thats stock, and there are other things you can do to make more horsepower.

One of his friends has the same car, only he's replaced the stock motor(8.5:1) with a smaller one that has a compression ratio of 10:1. He gained something like 15 hp, all for the low, low price of $2600. This one is stronger, and has been proven to take over 20 psi of boost...but he doesn't have a Turbo, and doesn't have the money for a turbo. The stock motor is capable of 18 psi boost with no problems, and makes well into 200 rwhp with one.

What the heck is their infatuation with compression? I've always looked at compression as a complimentary mod, like low compression with a boosted motor. The only time I think its worth it to go high is when you get into high power motors, since then the percentage is actually worth it.

Just ranting. :smash:
Old 04-03-2002, 03:08 AM
BAdAzZV8
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Latest Ricer topic: Compression Ratio's (NoWorries)

Well you can always buy a cheap motor and build that up(either high CR for all motor, or low CR for boost). So I don't look at CR when I'm looking for a swap, I'm looking at price and modability.

Quick Reply: Latest Ricer topic: Compression Ratio's