C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How do I disassemble a 1992 ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How do I disassemble a 1992 ECM?

I tried to disassemble my ECM on my 1992 LT1. It looks like there is a box inside a box that might need to slide out. I didn't want to force anything for fear I might ruin it. I'm hoping somebody has been down this road before.

The reason I need to take it apart is because I have an intermittent problem. My torque converter lock randomly disengages after a few minutes of driving. Diacom shows aberrations of the speed signal generated by the ECM. I replaced the speed sensor and brake switch is good. I connected a switch directly to the 4L60 via ALDL connector to make sure all the components in the trans are good. I suspect there is some corrosion or a loose solder connection that needs to be corrected.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:01 PM
James93LT1
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

-Remove Memcal
-Remove all screws on case.
-Remove screws on connector housing (Top).
-Slide out circuit board.
-Note there is a rubber seal between the metal case and the connector housing that may stick togather, it just take a little more effort.

Top View

Bottom View

Lower support removed
Old 11-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Very good!

Yes, the rubber must be holding it. I'll pull a little harder and if need be apply a small amount of heat.

It also looks like I'll need to remove the conformal coating. There are a number of different types of conformal coatings. Do you know what kind of solvent to use?

Also, thank you very much for helping me!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:53 AM
James93LT1
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Sleeper
It also looks like I'll need to remove the conformal coating. There are a number of different types of conformal coatings. Do you know what kind of solvent to use?
Sorry, not sure what kind of solvent to use. Haven't tried to repair it yet.

The board in the pic looks a bit messy because it was rebuilt by Cardone and is coated with the varnish coating.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

As a profession I'm an electronic technician so a least trying to repair it seems to be the logical thing for me to do. I do know that the large scale integration (big chips) will be impossible for me to troubleshoot or replace so re-soldering will probably be my only recourse. I hate the thought of buying a rebuilt one.

Thanks again for your help and wish me luck!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:52 PM
0KEN W ANDERSON
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Sleeper
As a profession I'm an electronic technician so a least trying to repair it seems to be the logical thing for me to do. I do know that the large scale integration (big chips) will be impossible for me to troubleshoot or replace so re-soldering will probably be my only recourse. I hate the thought of buying a rebuilt one.

Thanks again for your help and wish me luck!
Call us @ GMComputers.com if you can't fix it.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Ok, thanks!
Old 04-27-2016, 01:49 PM
dayle97se
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

i want to disassemble the ECU on my 96 C4, only to have the 2 outer cases powder coated. Is this possible/easy? Don't want to break or ruin the ecu in the process.

Get notified of new replies

To How do I disassemble a 1992 ECM?

Quick Reply: How do I disassemble a 1992 ECM?