C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel Pressure leakdown - what psi should I expect after overnight

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 05:58 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Fuel Pressure leakdown - what psi should I expect after overnight

What type of fuel rail pressure should I expect after a 12 hour sit on a 89 L98? I am losing fuel pressure somewhere. Replaced injectors, gotta troubleshoot the regulator. Had a spare fuel pump and sending unit, swapped it out still losing pressure. Also replace fuel filter (21 years old - this is a low mile NCRS car).
Old 11-11-2010, 12:15 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

As long as the injectors are not leaking, I don't think bleed off is that critical. I know some members say that pressure should hold for an hour or two or more. Mine bleeds down in a minute, either back through the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator. I monitor the afr with a wideband and there is plenty of fuel to power the car well into the 10's. I used to have a fuel pump that bled down in 10 seconds or so, and the car always had enough fuel.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Lemme
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by corvette95
What type of fuel rail pressure should I expect after a 12 hour sit on a 89 L98? I am losing fuel pressure somewhere. Replaced injectors, gotta troubleshoot the regulator. Had a spare fuel pump and sending unit, swapped it out still losing pressure. Also replace fuel filter (21 years old - this is a low mile NCRS car).
I would say zero! Mine takes about half an hour after turn off to reduce to zero.

What exactly is your problem? Lack of power?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

........................... Zero ................
Old 11-11-2010, 07:59 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

both of you say there should be NO ...ZERO... leakdown even after overnight sitting? I am getting 3 to 5 second crank times after sitting a few hours (all tune up items are current and delco nos ). I am also getting loss of power for a split second when cold at full throttle...like pulling out of stop sign to highway infront of on coming traffic (busy street) in cold mornings. I am going tomorrow to buy a fuel pressure gauge to monitor while driving. I suspect bad regulator.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by corvette95
both of you say there should be NO ...ZERO... leakdown even after overnight sitting? I am getting 3 to 5 second crank times after sitting a few hours (all tune up items are current and delco nos ). I am also getting loss of power for a split second when cold at full throttle...like pulling out of stop sign to highway infront of on coming traffic (busy street) in cold mornings. I am going tomorrow to buy a fuel pressure gauge to monitor while driving. I suspect bad regulator.

No. Your question was "How much pressure?". The answer is zero. If you asked how much leakdown then the answer would be 100%.

If it is cold and you are at full throttle then thats not probably one of the engines favourite modes of operation. Fuel may not be atomising very well so may be a bit of a flooding situation. Good injectors may help.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:24 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemme
No. Your question was "How much pressure?". The answer is zero. If you asked how much leakdown then the answer would be 100%.

If it is cold and you are at full throttle then thats not probably one of the engines favourite modes of operation. Fuel may not be atomising very well so may be a bit of a flooding situation. Good injectors may help.
............... No residual pressure overnite ...........
Old 11-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Qiken
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C409
............... No residual pressure overnite ...........
Umm Interesting,I just fitted bosch 3 injectors,done a fuel pressure test to make sure no leaks,have not started engine due to other works, but still sitting around 5-7lb after 3 days,by guage on rail?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Lemme
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Qiken
Umm Interesting,I just fitted bosch 3 injectors,done a fuel pressure test to make sure no leaks,have not started engine due to other works, but still sitting around 5-7lb after 3 days,by guage on rail?
Thats good then. Bosch 3s aren't leaking.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:46 AM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some leakage overnight is normal. After installing new injectors, fuel filter, fuel pump and pulsator, my 85 held most of its pressure overnight, I think it dropped about 12psi. From what I read on this forum, as long as you don't have rapid bleed down, meaning you go from 40psi to 10psi in less than an hour, you should be OK.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:40 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Put me in the ZERO column too.

This "pressure holding" question comes up a lot. One CF member posted he read in a mag article that pressure should hold steady for at least an hour after the engine is shut down. Mine does, but I had a L98 (355 and 415) that didn't and I never had a problem because of that.

Also, I've never seen a GM spec for how long it should hold. Maybe it's just one of those things that guys worry about but really don't need to.

Sure hope someone posts an authoritative source to finally put this to bed.

Jake
Old 11-13-2010, 12:24 AM
pletzvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all on this one... and I agree with Jake - it would be nice to get an official call on this one.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:39 AM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
As long as the injectors are not leaking, I don't think bleed off is that critical. I know some members say that pressure should hold for an hour or two or more. Mine bleeds down in a minute, either back through the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator. I monitor the afr with a wideband and there is plenty of fuel to power the car well into the 10's. I used to have a fuel pump that bled down in 10 seconds or so, and the car always had enough fuel.
The fuel rail will be primed by the computer when you turn the key to the on position. I also think as long as the injectors aren't leaking, your good.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:15 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

You will have some leak down but it shouldn't go to zero. But I don't know what it should be after sitting all night either. The hesitation, when cold, is most likely not your fuel pressure unless you do have a bad FPR, which you very well may have.

But if it doesn't do it when it's warm then it's most likely not a fuel leak down issue, or FPR issue.

I've never seen a car in my life that has the leak down and fuel issues the L98 has. It's a total lack of design and build quality, but it is what it is.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pressure leakdown - what psi should I expect after overnight

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure leakdown - what psi should I expect after overnight