C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

testing a ESC module?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 04:57 PM
Oh My
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default testing a ESC module?

I'm looking to replace a faulty sensor, via either a knock or ESC module, any way to test this? *need to break out the voltmeter*? If i can, could someone please list some numbers for me to go by, thanks
Old 04-05-2002, 05:32 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: testing a ESC module? (Oh My)

I'm looking to replace a faulty sensor, via either a knock or ESC module, any way to test this? *need to break out the voltmeter*? If i can, could someone please list some numbers for me to go by, thanks
What code are you getting?

Jake
Old 04-05-2002, 07:05 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If you're getting false knock counts or determine a bad ESC module read my C4 Tech Tip or check my site. The replacement ESC module recommended by Gordon fixed my problem. BTW I wasn't getting any codes but my AutoXray showed false counts (pulling base timing didn't change them).
Old 04-05-2002, 07:47 PM
VMAX451
Burning Brakes

I just recently did this on an LT1 with a code 43. It was one of the knock sensors. I don't know if it's the same on an L98, but for the LT1, it was as follows:
Ignition on, disconnect the knock sensor connectors and measure voltage b/w the knock sensor connectors and ground, should be 5v.
If that's ok, measure the resistance b/w the knock sensor terminal and ground, should be 3300-4500 ohms. Again, I don't know what vehicle you have so this may not apply, but that's the procedure for a '92 LT1.
Old 04-06-2002, 12:23 PM
Oh My
Pro

Default Re: testing a ESC module? (Vince Ivanc)

Thanks for the tips, I'm looking into it. If I find anything I'll list
Old 04-06-2002, 07:27 PM
C4racing
Racer

Default Re: testing a ESC module? (65Z01)

I read your Tech Tip recently entitled "Upgrade your '85-'89 ECS module". Without knowing any better, the info seemed to make sense to me so I ordered and subsequently installed ESC module P/N 16038331 in place of my original P/N 16052401 module.

I took the car out for a couple of test drives on the street and didn't notice any seat of the pants difference. I really didn't expect a huge difference, just a bit of fine tuning in the computer control of the engine, and possibly a subltle performance gain. So far, so good.

A week later I took the car to a weekend road racing event. BIG PROBLEMS! This track had a couple of slow speed corners leading onto straights which beg for WOT coming out of the corners. Every time I had the car in a WOT condition the engine PINGED relentlessly!!!!

At first I backed off a bit and thought "well, this is the first time the car has been on a track since the change and maybe the ECM is 'learning' the new hardware.....". I babied the car for a couple of practice sessions and then went back to WOT during a race. No luck, as the pinging was as bad as before. I just resigned to backing off and being less competitive in order not to do untold damage to my engine.

Since I live a long way from this track and had another day of competition left, I resorted to a hopeful, albeit *expensive*, fix. I filled up the car with 100 octane unleaded race fuel at $5.00 per gallon. :cry

The car never pinged again on day 2 at the track but now I'm sincerely disappointed in the Tech Tip. I feel like I wasted a lot of money on an ESC module that doesn't work in my car, not to mention a fortune in race fuel. :boxing

If there's a simple explanation for this then I'd love to hear it. I don't have a scan tool and no longer have access to a Diacom. I'm planning on removing the new ESC module and replacing it with the old one ASAP. Btw, the car never pinged under WOT with the old ESC module. :smash:

I was going to post a request for help in the ECM part of the forum but if someone here can help me out instead, I'd appreciate it.

:seeya

(PS: I realize that the ESC module doesn't *make* the car ping, so I don't really know why the new module would make pinging more apparent.....I did have a Diacom connected to the engine a couple of years ago and noticed very few knock counts under WOT.)

Get notified of new replies

To testing a ESC module?

Quick Reply: testing a ESC module?