C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can a 6spd steering column be converted to a automatic column ?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can a 6spd steering column be converted to a automatic column ?????

My 1990 column is suffering from elongated tilt bushing pin holes. Supposedly you are supposed to use a puller to get them out, well mine pretty much just fell out.

I have a 1990 6spd column that still appears to be tight and the only noticeable difference seems to be a push button on the ignition tumbler. Can the automatics interlock cabe or whatever you call it be adapted to this column and my tumbler set installed to eliminate this button?

What exactly does the cable from the shifter do on the steering column ???
Old 03-28-2011, 06:35 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

not sure bout yours , but on my 87 I disconnected that cable, it didnt cause any problems, the key no longer locks the shifter and steering together when off
Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
not sure bout yours , but on my 87 I disconnected that cable, it didnt cause any problems, the key no longer locks the shifter and steering together when off
I had thought that cable just went to the ignition switch itself. This isn't the case, it goes into the lower black trin and releses something.

I'm just going to remove the cable all together like you did.

I took this manual column apart and put my old vats tumbler in so we will see if it is alot tighter then my other column.

Get notified of new replies

To Can a 6spd steering column be converted to a automatic column ?????

Quick Reply: Can a 6spd steering column be converted to a automatic column ?????