C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 vette will not run HELP "I need to burn rubber"

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 01:02 PM
corvetteleadfoot
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 vette will not run HELP "I need to burn rubber"

hi all ...I have a 1987 corvette it will start and run for a few sec, or even 15 min. then die I have used a computer reader and code 46 pops up and goes away then pops up again after it runs i have put many new parts in car like fuel pump ,filter, fuel pressure reg.,,,injectors,,new distributor wires plugs,,computer,,EGR vale,,and all relays and switches,,I bypassed vats,,with jumper wire for stater and even put a new key cylinder in with same omh as old key i have got over 3000.00 in parts and my vette will still not run...I need help I have worked on cars my whole life and not just a part timer...can you get a chip that does not use vats and what do the wires do in the vat box ????anyone know
Old 09-07-2014, 02:08 PM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What happens when it dies: do you loose spark or fuel? Have you tested fuel pressure (with a gauge)? How old are your injectors, have ohm'd them?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:13 PM
corvetteleadfoot
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fuel drops some but it stays around 47 psi and i used a plug with a wire to make sure i keep fire it does injectors are new the omh's are 14.4
Old 09-11-2014, 12:40 PM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If I understand you correctly (punctuation is your friend); you still have good Fuel pressure and spark when the engine dies. The next thing I would check is if the injectors are getting a consistent current. Buy, beg, or borrow a noid light and check your injector harness.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:28 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

At this point, I wouldn't worry about the vats. If that system was going out, the starter wouldn't turn. It wouldn't cause the motor to die. When the motor doesn't start, it's either not getting fuel or spark or both. As mentioned above, check to see if injectors are firing. Checking for spark is pretty easy. Pull one of the plug wires, Connectect it to a spare plug and ground the plug to the intake. Have someone crank the motor and see if it sparks. Did you change the ignition module in the distributor?
Old 09-11-2014, 02:06 PM
LANDSHARK1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A bad ICM (ignition control module) comes to mind, although you've probably changed it by now. If it's cranking, it's not VATS.

I didn't see a new ECM on your long list of replacement parts...that's what I would lean towards next. Perhaps you could borrow one from a local clubmember to test?
Old 09-11-2014, 02:07 PM
LANDSHARK1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oops, never mind on the ECM, just saw you wrote computer.

Get notified of new replies

To 87 vette will not run HELP "I need to burn rubber"

Quick Reply: 87 vette will not run HELP "I need to burn rubber"