C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rough idle / strong fuel smell

Old 01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Huntervangolf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle / strong fuel smell

So its in storage for at least another 3 months but going to start tinkering on it now.
LT4. The last time i drove it went on a weekend drive. It started to idle a little rough, not terrible but noticable. There wasnt any noticable performance loss what so ever while driving. And had a strong fuel smell, especially while standing next to it while it was running. Cant notice any fuel leakage anywhere. And when it is shut off the smell goes away. Also never has left and drippings puddles under car. So? Bad injectors?
Old 01-04-2011, 03:07 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does your car have a charcoal canister? If so, check the canister and vac lines to it for breaks. I assume you've looked for obvious fuel leaks, etc. Have you scanned for codes?
Old 01-04-2011, 03:34 PM
CanadianC4Vert
Burning Brakes

I had the same symptoms with my L98, pulled the injectors, tested and found three that were leaking. I haven't had a chance to install the new injectors yet, but I am hoping that will do it.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Huntervangolf
Racer

Originally Posted by sailorsteve
Does your car have a charcoal canister? If so, check the canister and vac lines to it for breaks. I assume you've looked for obvious fuel leaks, etc. Have you scanned for codes?
Actually! Yes the check engine light did come on.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:13 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Huntervangolf
Actually! Yes the check engine light did come on.
If the light is on, there are codes stored in the ECM. If you scan for the codes, you will get information on which system needs attention.

Sorry for the delayed response. I have not had a chance to log onto the forum for a few days.

Last edited by sailorsteve; 01-07-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:45 AM
CanadianC4Vert
Burning Brakes

Just a follow up - I installed the new injectors on the weekend. Fired it up, it idles nice and smooth and the gas smell from the exhaust is gone!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:31 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by CanadianC4Vert
Just a follow up - I installed the new injectors on the weekend. Fired it up, it idles nice and smooth and the gas smell from the exhaust is gone!
Good to know. I'm having similar issues with no codes, checked all spark and fuel related issues (sensors, fuel filter change, fuel pressure good, fuel regulator good, wiires/plugs changed) and still have the same issue. Have FIC Bosch III injectors on the bench ready to install (with an Opti and WP in the ready if needed)- but hope the Injectors solve the issue.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:35 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CanadianC4Vert
Old 01-10-2011, 11:36 AM
CanadianC4Vert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by socalman
Good to know. I'm having similar issues with no codes, checked all spark and fuel related issues (sensors, fuel filter change, fuel pressure good, fuel regulator good, wiires/plugs changed) and still have the same issue. Have FIC Bosch III injectors on the bench ready to install (with an Opti and WP in the ready if needed)- but hope the Injectors solve the issue.
Bosch III, 22# from FIC

Hopefully that will solve your problems too.

Get notified of new replies

To Rough idle / strong fuel smell

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rough idle / strong fuel smell